Bill Frist Does Something Right

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:48 am
a nice thing to see first thing in the morning

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/29/politics/29stem.html?ei=5065&en=592a891425c55b3f&ex=1123300800&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 538 • Replies: 5
No top replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:39 am
Is this an attempt to get back into the race after McCain stole his 'neuclear option' thunder in the Supreme Court nominees case?

It seems so... un Frist.

TF
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:46 am
Facts being what they are, this is clearly just an attempt by Frist to launch his 2008 presidential bid or at the very least set in motion his exploratory efforts. As a Republican he is one of the better choices that can be put out there who would appeal to large numbers from all sides. His downfall however, is that he is too much in the public eye on a regular basis and the best candidates in recent times have been those who the American public (the voters) knew less about.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 11:58 am
guess frist finally figured out that most americans, given a choice between at least some chance of curing life curdling diseases or defects and pretending an egg is a chicken, support the idea of progressive medical research.

i don't understand the hysteria of the right to lifers on this one. if "all life is sacred" and "embryos/sperm are/is life", how can they support war ?

the boy becomes the father of the man, and all of that stuff viewed in that context says that they should not support any form of killing. at all.

frankly, i think the big "faith fad" has peaked.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 03:33 pm
...or, I think we've all noticed when one party really doesn't have any competition from the other--or they aren't up for re-election, the tight circle of wagons breaks out a little and people are able to more closely say what THEY believe, rather than getting their partner's back. I think Bushie has deep ethical concerns about cloning...etc and Frist may have gotten in line. Bush has no future to protect, so maybe he's released Frist to speak his own mind.

You'll probably see more diversity of opinion among Republicans for the duration of Bush's term--unless something weird happens.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:30 pm
Lash wrote:
You'll probably see more diversity of opinion among Republicans for the duration of Bush's term--unless something weird happens.

i would really like to see that. it's a big wonderful world and the polarization in both parties leaves us all with a fairly narrow view. there has to be more to our system than the choice between 2 sets of sufficating talking points.
0 Replies