Nominee's son bites his mom--at the White House

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:40 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
It's ridiculous that you desire to turn my admiration for Nanny Jo Jo into a political bashing. Rolling Eyes

Debra: When you take the opportunity to post a political message, expect political responses. You are too much of a dyed-in-the-wool liberal for me to believe you intended to limit your critique to pure parenting technique, and did not relish the opportunity to take a swipe at Roberts and wife -- particularly since this is a SC nominee. Many liberals have taken shots at the Roberts family since the nomination was announced, including criticizing the children's clothing, and questioning the son's sexuality. I saw your post in line with such an attack.

Now, aside from the political aspect, I would not tolerate such behavior from my children, but am unsure what I would have done in a similar situation such as Roberts' wife had to deal with. Obviously, I don't think my children would have behaved similarly, but then again, I don't know their situation, and would not presume to judge them. As Noddy said, perhaps the 4 year old is a "special needs" case. If my little ones had previously demonstrated such poor behavior in public (and I heard they did at his prior confirmation), I think I would have opted to leave them at home.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 02:59 pm
Oh. I see, Tico.

When the national spotlight is on the behavior of a child who bites his mom at a ceremonious event at the White House and in my admiration for SUPERNANNY, I suggest its time to invoke Nanny Jo Frost's parenting techniques . . . then my post has nothing to do with parenting, but everything to do with an opportunity to take a political swipe at the nominee. ROFL

However, when you suggest that you would have opted to leave the misbehaving child at home, that is NOT to be construed as taking a political swipe at the nominee?

My parenting suggestion is clearly politically motivated according to you; however, your parenting suggestion is not politically motivated--but we're both talking about parenting a child who misbehaves in public. I don't understand your logic because it's illogical.

I don't know how much more ridiculous this can get. I believe liberals who are parents, conservatives who are parents, democrats who are parents, republicans who are parents, theists who are parents, atheists who are parents--ALL parents would benefit from using consistent parenting techniques designed to correct behavior problems in their children.

And, even if it is suspected that the boy in question might be a "special needs" child, if that is the case, then the boy would definitely benefit even more than non-special needs children from consistent discipline and corrective measures designed to teach the child the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behavior.

This NON-POLITICAL message is brought to you from the FAN of SUPERNANNY.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 04:31 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Oh. I see, Tico.

When the national spotlight is on the behavior of a child who bites his mom at a ceremonious event at the White House and in my admiration for SUPERNANNY, I suggest its time to invoke Nanny Jo Frost's parenting techniques . . . then my post has nothing to do with parenting, but everything to do with an opportunity to take a political swipe at the nominee. ROFL

Did I say that, Debra? But your post had a political aspect to it which you can't deny.

Quote:
However, when you suggest that you would have opted to leave the misbehaving child at home, that is NOT to be construed as taking a political swipe at the nominee?

My parenting suggestion is clearly politically motivated according to you; however, your parenting suggestion is not politically motivated--but we're both talking about parenting a child who misbehaves in public. I don't understand your logic because it's illogical.

Rolling Eyes Apparently you missed that part of my post where I said, "Now, aside from the political aspect ..."

Quote:
I don't know how much more ridiculous this can get. I believe liberals who are parents, conservatives who are parents, democrats who are parents, republicans who are parents, theists who are parents, atheists who are parents--ALL parents would benefit from using consistent parenting techniques designed to correct behavior problems in their children.

And, even if it is suspected that the boy in question might be a "special needs" child, if that is the case, then the boy would definitely benefit even more than non-special needs children from consistent discipline and corrective measures designed to teach the child the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behavior.

Walk a mile in that mom's shoes before you start slinging the mud. Fan of "supernanny" or not, your superior attitude is disgusting to me.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 05:17 pm
Echoing DrewDad, Boomerang and Tico...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:08 pm
See, that's another thing I like about you, nimh (for inclusion on your other thread): You have the good sense to agree with me every now and then. :wink:

Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 06:54 am
You are absolutely right Debra - follow through and consistency is important. I have two children at extreme ends of the spectrum - so I am "fortunate" to experience both situations. Believe me my strong willed one continues to push me to the limits. Funny thing is I am constantly praised about how well she is behaved especially from her teachers. So although she can be an absolute monster at home at times (and at others and absolute angel - like this morning), I have seen the advantages of having to be tough on disciplining a child.

I, personally, just do not like to judge a parent on one incident. If we do get the pleasure of continuing to see these children, it just might confirm one way or the other.

That's true Noddy - it really is not a good setting for a young child no matter what their personal issues are. I think it is pure bad judgment to bring young children to such an event. Best case would be the kids are bored out of their minds, worst case - well we and all the world saw it.
0 Replies