Why aren't people going to the movies this summer?

Able2Believe

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 08:39 am
The movies always seem much slower during the summer--- it's so much more fun to go cuddle up in theater when its raining and/or snowing outside. i'd rather be swimming right now then sitting in a cold dark theater!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 08:41 am
I know longer go to the movies. I have a subscription to "Blockbuster Online" and I have DVDs coming out of my ears!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:01 am
I backed off my NetFlix to one-at-a-time as we just didn't have the time to watch all the disks coming in the mail. I will go see a movie in a theater if it's a date and a really well received effort.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:05 am
LW- I find, that over the last 7 months that I have had Blockbuster, I am returning DVDs in a longer and longer time frame. I still like the subscription, because I can pick and choose what I want to see. I also can catch some films that have never come to my neck of the woods.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:12 am
The NetFlix library is far superior to any I've seen for alternative, gay, foreign and independent films. I still salt in some popcorn movies that did well at the box office. My Mom enjoyed "The Fockers" but I thought it's plot of family problems was creaky and it was only mildly funny. The last episode of "Six Feet Under" was better than any movie I've seen this year.
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 01:11 pm
I think even with NetFlix and Blockbuster online, you'd still have to wait before the DVD comes out. With all the trailers on tv. it's hard to wait for the release of the DVD. I'd just go to the movies and watch it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 06:51 pm
rhythm.synergy- Waiting doesn't bother me. I have reached a stage in life where it is not important that I see the latest movies immediately.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 06:58 pm
It's not "only this summer." With the talking, cellphones, and higher price of movie tickets, it's better to wait four months for the DVD.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 07:02 pm
Theatres charge $10 per ticket where I live. I can't think of anything since "Lord of the Rings" that was worth it. Usually after watching a DVD or tape my husband and i look at each other and say "glad we didn't spend $20 bucks to see that".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 07:14 pm
It's the hype the studios and movie theaters drum up to get people to the box office to see their latest remake, action potboiler or lame comedy. It hasn't been working as well. Could it be the audiences are just getting jaded? There are over 20,000 movies made since 1900 and I'd rather go back and explore the library of great movies from the past, many of them that I somehow missed or haven't seen in so long that I can revist them as a new experience.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 08:50 pm
LW is right; it seems there are fewer good movies at higher prices. Doesn't make sense. I don't want to go see ten movies to experience one good one.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 09:45 am
The think tank in Hollywood must be operating on underdrive.
0 Replies

jacky

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:10 am
wohoo, great site
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 10:06 am
I know why ppl aren't going to the movies this summer- they're saving money for their gas!
0 Replies

alex-vcn

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:01 am
absolutly :-)
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:34 am
It's good if you can find an independent cinema. The one I go to charges £4.50 a ticket - less to students on certain days.
They have a few blockbusters, but also world cinema and documentary. They show a lot of classic film too.
There's a coffee bar upstairs where you can sit around on sofas and look at local artist exhibitions.
The screens are smaller than in the Odeon, but it makes for a better atmosphere and you get less noise from the audience.

Admit that I watch most films on DVD, too. Nothing like being able to pause the film if you want to go put the kettle on, or get a sandwich!
You can't do that in the cinema.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:35 am
We're in the process of building a 3 screen non-profit independent cinema in downtown Concord N.H. I can't wait until it opens.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:38 am
That's a great idea -- looks like you'll be in seventh heaven.
0 Replies

livingthedream

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:24 pm
I think that it is a combination of movies that are simply not worth paying the money to go see in the theatres. How mant times have I heard, "that one looks like a rental" (i.e. Into The Blue) this summer. Or movies were released at the wrong time of year (i.e. Cindrella Man...in the middle of the summer??)

Where were the million dollar action flims and fast cars flying across the screen this summer?

We were stuck to choose between documentaries of Penguins marching and a berage of remakes that where leaps and bounds behind the originals.

I'll pass thank you. My DVR and OnDemand features work for me, and the popcorn is 25 cents a bag.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 11:52 am
Movies are getting extremely expensive. However, that's not going to keep me away from seeing Jarhead...it looks great!

I also think that so many movie ideas are recycled and you don't have to wait as long for a movie to come out on dvd these days either.
0 Replies