Why aren't people going to the movies this summer?

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:29 pm
So, we've all heard by now how this summer's crop of films have tanked at the box-office. I think it's because the quality (or lack of) of the films.
Any other reasons?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,039 • Replies: 62
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:34 pm
Hmmm...I wonder. Could it be the prices at the snack bar have become unmanageably high?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:36 pm
That must be it. Anyone claiming economic doesn't understand the public's willingness to spend for what they want, even at the expense of borrowing.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:37 pm
I went to see "Crash" last weekend, and I had to take out a home equity loan to get a small popcorn and some ju-ju bees.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:40 pm
I needed to show three forms of ID and proof of collateral just to get some nachos.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:40 pm
I walked in with a full wallet. I walked out homeless.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:13 pm
kickycan wrote:
I walked in with a full wallet. I walked out homeless.

It never occurred to you to get a jacket with big pockets and bring your own snacks? :wink: I haven't purchased anything other than a beverage in years.

thiefoflight: My vote's for a combination of mediocre movies and outrageous ticket prices. Even matinee prices are beginning to get silly.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:28 pm
The movies suck. I've been looking for reasons to go (no AC in the house, AC at the movies) and have trouble even finding crappy movies that I can tolerate (like Wedding Crashers).

But, hey, if the best Hollywood can do is to remake stuff that was never any good to begin with, then that's the best they can do. You don't pick on the special ed kid because he doesn't paint like Picasso, after all...
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:31 pm
Maybe in light of the rise in terrorist activities, people are scared.

Heheh, i still remember someone telling me once that I shouldn't go to the movies 'cuz i might accidentally sit on a needle and get AIDs.

People might be as paranoid as that person!
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 03:02 pm
I just think there aren't as many good movies out this summer. Mabye it will pick up at the end of the month.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:02 am
Total box office figures from last year depended on two movies: Gibson's "Passion" and "Spiderman II." There has not been a huge blockbuster yet this year. "Batman Begins" is chipping away at turning a profit but "The War of the Worlds" has been dissapointing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:04 am
Not to forget "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" has helped close the gap!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:09 am
I am getting ready to sit down and finish watching "Boys and Girl from County Clare"

Quite good so far. The movie is about an Irish Caeli Band competition.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:14 am
I think it also has to do with rising popularity in DVDs, home theatre systems, and how fast movies are released on DVDs now.

Going to the movies just doesn't seem like the event it used to.

Unless you're going to watch something about an Irish Caeli Band competition.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:29 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I think it also has to do with rising popularity in DVDs, home theatre systems, and how fast movies are released on DVDs now.

Going to the movies just doesn't seem like the event it used to.

Unless you're going to watch something about an Irish Caeli Band competition.

I read an article recently (I can't for the life of me remember what site it was on or I'd provide a link) that examined the decline in movie attendance. Before TV became popular over 60% of Americans went to the movies at least once a week (all year long); of course, back then you got a cartoon, a weekly serial (usually a cliffhanger), the news, a b-reel movie, and the feature film. TV lead to the initial decline in movie attendance. This was furthered by the increase in channels. Then there was HBO and VCRs. DVDs and home theater systems have quite a few entertainment commentators predicting the utter demise of the cinema.

Of course, I don't know if I'd go that far.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:42 am
As long as dinner and a movie is one of the mainstays of dating, I don't believe the cinema will dissapear. Theaters may still be consolidating into these huge cineplexes. We have four in the OC: The Spectrum in Irvine with an IMAX theater, Century near Disneyland (all THX cerftified picture and sound), Newport Fashion Island (with the huge screen referred to as Big Newport and two venues, one within the mall and one just outside the mall) and Krikorian near Knott's Berry Farm.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 02:01 pm
When holographic systems become viable for the home, the cinema will disappear. At will, we will be able to surround ourselves with audience members that are noisily munching on snacks and talking on cell phones. Toss in a simple mechanical device that randomly kicks the back of your chair and we've made the cinema obsolete.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:52 pm
Quite funny. Laughing
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 02:51 pm
Valpower wrote:
When holographic systems become viable for the home, the cinema will disappear. At will, we will be able to surround ourselves with audience members that are noisily munching on snacks and talking on cell phones. Toss in a simple mechanical device that randomly kicks the back of your chair and we've made the cinema obsolete.

Hahaha.. you don't have it as bad here than in Philippines. Went to the movies there once. Everyone was texting (the hot thing in asia) using their cellphones in the theater! It was annoying Mad !
0 Replies

JAAF

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:07 am
Two reasons:
1. Movies aren't quite good this summer.
2. Prices are high. (You can buy 4 Kitkats from the supermarket instead of just one from the snack bar.) Razz

PS. I've been to the movies three times this month, and I don't know why I'm doing it.
0 Replies