Why aren't people going to the movies this summer?

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:12 am
Well J.A.A.F I understand that the movie sucks this time around. (Grrrr stupid producer's idea of a blockbuster). But the cost is not an issue if you look around. There's a theater close to my place where the tix cost 7.50 at night abt $4.74 during matinee.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:17 am
Wedding Crashers is hilarious. I'd pay to see it again.

It is very upsetting to pay $12 for 2 drinks and popcorn.
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:20 am
Bella Dea wrote:

It is very upsetting to pay $12 for 2 drinks and popcorn.

That's true. Tht rip you off with the food with their 'can't-bring-outside-food' policy. Meh, I just sneak in food. What they gonna do?

Yeah i heard Wedding crashers was good. It's funny how the movies you expected to be good SUCKED and the ones you thought that looked stupid turned out pretty entertaining.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:40 am
I can see an eventual problem with any decline of snack bar sales which represent a great deal of the profit in a movie theater. The ticket prices will, once again, go up. I think they're reluctant to breach the $10.00 barrier but one way is to charge another $1.00 and then give a $ 1.00 coupon for the snack bar!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:41 am
It's true with the prices at the snack bar that one is actually paying $15.00 and more for a movie ticket. Now dinner and a movie can be as much as $45.00 to $60.00 per person, about comparable to skipping the dinner and going to a live concert.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:55 am
"Stealth" and "The Island," both very expensive movies to make have performed badly. Not only that, DVD rentals and sales are actually also down which would consider that rentals are mostly last years box office hits. Maybe people are starting to plunk down $100.00 per person for dinner and a live concert! Not a bad sign, actually, for the entertainment industry, just a bad omen for the movies.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:56 am
Red Robin sells dinner and a movie for $27. And they have great food!
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:05 am
I am not a movie theater person... why pay 10 bucks to sit in a big room with a bunch of people who keep talking in uncomfortable seats when you can wait an extra month or two and buy it on dvd (or rent it for 3 bucks) and be in my comfortable house!!

By the way I also hate large crowds of people (anxiety :-()
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:09 am
Crazielady420 wrote:
I am not a movie theater person... why pay 10 bucks to sit in a big room with a bunch of people who keep talking in uncomfortable seats when you can wait an extra month or two and buy it on dvd (or rent it for 3 bucks) and be in my comfortable house!!

By the way I also hate large crowds of people (anxiety :-()

Hehehe. It's like that person who always wants to be wearing the hottest clothes. In this case, you've seen the hottest (and suckiest) movies out right now. Plus, it usually takes more than a month or two b4 the DVD comes out. Tooo long

Yup Lightwizar, Stealth did suck. Please every1, avoid this at all cost and save your well-earned money for something else.
0 Replies

JAAF

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:10 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Quote:

I was laughing all the time during that movie. Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 11:14 am
Bella Dea wrote:

Is that available from their site as the Island Cinemas in Facist Island has a Red Robin right next door. I would estimate if we went to P. F. Chang's China Bistro and a movie, okay at senior prices, it would be about the same. I'd rather go to PFC.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 11:37 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Is that available from their site as the Island Cinemas in Facist Island has a Red Robin right next door. I would estimate if we went to P. F. Chang's China Bistro and a movie, okay at senior prices, it would be about the same. I'd rather go to PFC.

No, you have to buy it at the store. I have never been to PF's. I would like to go but my hubby is a chinese food snob...he will only eat at one place.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:23 pm
Unless the food is different from store to store, I'd convince him to try it as I am particular about Chinese food. Try to deep fried crap won ton appitizer and the shrimp in lobster sauce.

I'll ask the Red Robin here about the movie deal.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:36 pm
The bears subscribe to netflix. much better deal.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 05:41 pm
A good deal except I've gotten some bad discs in the past few weeks and frankly run out of movies to watch in their Indie and Foreign library. Many of the ones I missed are showing up on HBO and Showtime and since I subscribe to those for their exclusive series, I might as well watch the movies.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:52 pm
I saw Broken Flowers today, and enjoyed it.

Here's the IMDB page for it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 05:46 am
I believe from the great reviews and recommendations from friends (including you, mac 11) that "Broken Flowers" is the next film I will take in at the theater.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 11:34 am
Wow. I couldn't believe the type of a-holes that were lined up to see Dukes of Hazaard last night. It looked like a date rape festival sponsored by Old Navy.

Me and my girl saw March of the Penguins instead, which you've probably heard about. If there's not a thread about this one yet I may start one. The movie was incredible.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:32 pm
Q:What has Speilberg's 'War of the Worlds' and Gargamel's recommended 'March of the Penguins' have in common?
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:45 am
People arent going to the movies this summer because it is too pretty to be inside watching movies and so nice to enjoy the beautiful weather
0 Replies