Prejudice

gollum

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 11:27 am
To be prejudiced against African Americans is considered the worst attribute a person could have.

In contrast, prejudice against the ugly is winked at, if it is noticed at all. This can be seen in average salaries, unemployment rates, and other statistics.

Why not act against other forms of prejudice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 535 • Replies: 11
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 12:03 pm
@gollum,
I think prejudice in general is looked down upon, but like all prejudices, it's hard to prevent.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 12:11 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

In contrast, prejudice against the ugly is winked at, if it is noticed at all. This can be seen in average salaries, unemployment rates, and other statistics.

This is a really goofy assumption given that UGLY is an extremely subjective quality and literally unquantifiable when trying to prove as deciding factor/weapon used against an individual in a dispute against someone with a supposed ugly bias.
Mame

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 01:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
When I was opening our satellite office here in the late 90s, I hired the best office manager I could find. The guys in the office loved her. It wasn't until later that I discovered the president of the outfit was furious with me for hiring a larger woman in her 40s. Did he want some pretty face or someone competent? Pissed me off. What a dick.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 02:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Possibly, but it is true. For both men and women, people who are classically attractive do better, plenty of studies backing that up.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 04:14 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

To be prejudiced against African Americans is considered the worst attribute a person could have.

Gross oversimplification and misguided analogy. Being a mass murderer, serial abuser, a child rapist, thief or a 100 other attributes are far worse.

Why compare a bias against blacks to a bias against ugly people? Black is beautiful.
gollum

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 04:27 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman-

My point is that bias against African Americans is wrongful and should be addressed.

I think that bias against other groups (e.g., the ugly, women, the obese, the short) is also wrongful.

I conclude that our society gives a huge amount of attention to bias against African Americans and little attention to bias against other groups. I suggest a change in emphasis.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 04:52 pm
@gollum,
So, you feel your prejudice gets more attention than it should? African Americans have been lynched because of prejudice like yours. I don't know of any instances of people being lynched because of their ugliness.
gollum

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 06:05 pm
@InfraBlue,
I concede. The other prejudices do not result in lynching and African American have been lynched.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 08:06 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

I think that bias against other groups (e.g., the ugly, women, the obese, the short) is also wrongful.

What about obese men? And besides, what’s wrong with unattractive people? They have feelings too.
gollum

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2021 04:00 am
@Ragman,
I agree.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2021 05:55 am
When has someone been enslaved or lynched because they were ugly. When was someone denied housing because they were ugly. Making a senseless, empty analogy doesn’t help with credibility.
0 Replies