Six Feet Under: The Wake Is Almost Over...

kickycan

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 08:20 pm
I just watched the end of the most amazing TV show ever. That last ten minutes was unexpectedly touching, powerful, and beautiful.

Goddammit, they made me cry...again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:20 pm
Okay, kickycan, as emotional as I've perceive you to be, I agree this is the antithesis of a TV series --it was really a novel for television. It will be a pleasure to go back and see all the episodes again. I really liked these characters, flaws and all, because they mirrored my imperfections, my desire and my happiness. Will it happen again? I'm waiting....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:22 pm
(Yes, please pass the crying towels across the continent).
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:52 pm
One of the coolest things about it was the many times I would be watching and thinking "I know that feeling." They were so often absolutely "dead-on,"--pun intended--in the way they portrayed the experiences of living and the way people handle those experiences.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:21 pm
You got it, kickycan, in identifying with all their feelings, desires and aspirations of life (and death, of course) -- Alan Ball has got to be one of the most creative writers/producers/directors on the planet. This is the best final episode of any series and if they dont't win awards for this, I've lost faith in awards.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:58 am
The final episode was just perfect. As badly as I felt about the series ending, I was left with a deep feeling of satisfaction when it ended.

And, without resorting to a typical happy ending, we knew these characters would eventually find what they were looking for, and that they would go on to lead long lives. It was a very hopeful episode, which mitigated some of the sadness I was feeling at losing these characters from my life. I knew that the bonds between them would endure.

I can't wait to get the DVDs. Now I want to watch it again from the beginning. I can't remember the last time a series captured me this much. The cast brought these characters so vividly to life through simply magnificent acting and great scripts. I want to enjoy an encore.

Nothing else on television comes even close to this show in quality. I hope Ball will try his hand at another series.

Pass me the crying towel too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:07 am
That was amazing. I've never seen anything like it.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 05:11 pm
I rewatched the finale again last night, and, if anything, I cried more the second time around.

On the HBO Six Feet Under Web site they have posted the obituaries of all the main characters.

Webpage Title

This must be the most "final ending" that any series has ever done.

I liked knowing what will happen to these characters in the future, it did add a completeness. And the arc of the last episode, from birth to death, was perfect. There could not have been a more fitting way to end this series.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 03:32 am
I'm still haunted by their deaths. Especially Brenda and Claire. Why? I have no idea. I didn't really like either of their characters. Strange. And why did Keith have to die violently?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 09:23 am
I just watched the last season. My BIL copied it for me and I watchedd the whole season over 4 or 5 nights.

Man was Ihappy to see Nate die. I've been waiting for that since the show started. Am I the only one to think he is an ego-maniacal A$$hole?

Last episode was perfect, IMO. Wrapped everything up nicely without making it to sappy. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the girl Nate slept with (Maggie). It looked like sje was in a doctors office when the Mom called her. Do you think she was pregnant? She kind of acted weird when the mom asked her if she was happy.

Over all I'd say the show made a nice comeback over the sseason before.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 09:59 am
Yeah, I thought the same thing. I can't remember if I saw her in any of the "road scenes".
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 10:20 am
No she wasn't in there at all.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:45 pm
eoe wrote:
Finally saw it last night.
He was such a selfish prick, to the very end, but he did speak the truth about how foolish it was for him and Brenda to marry.

Fully agree about Nate, jpin. When he collapsed, I didn't blink.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:28 am
I actually cheered. Embarrassed
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:36 am
I breathed a sigh of relief.
0 Replies

Skwerl X

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:00 am
Nate was indeed a jerk. I thought Brenda to be a bit a boorish type as well. I always liked Ruth. She was the long suffering heroine who kept plugging away no matter what crap got thrown on her.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:43 pm
I found all the characters had their faults laid bare -- Brenda's Mom was no gem. It was kinda spooky how they all reminded me of one person or another I've known. I didn't think Nate was an extraordinary jerk and he did try -- he seemed to have more compassion for the clients of the mortuary than anyone else there and he let the ones know who were obviously out of line what he thought. When it came to his own relationships is where he got confused and kept screwing up. Isn't that usually the case?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:06 pm
What was the deal when he screwed that woman who was in the process of burying her father? Right after his daughter's mother disappeared?

Nate was a **** but you're right LW. We all experience a few Nate's in our lifetime.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 11:45 pm
Nate was the typical sexually active young male, well at least on the cusp of middle age, and I have known a lot of them and still do. Of course, Newport Beach is not the Midwest.
0 Replies

bikerkitty

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 12:39 pm
Hi everyone....jumping in kind of late here...I am really going to miss this show...they really did an excellent job with the final show[/color]
0 Replies