NaNoWriMo 2021

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2021 07:24 pm
I had said, no more for me. But I've just decided to participate. My current story, Leaving Texas is the project. I just had to rev it up and now I'm prepared.

jespah

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 05:43 am
@edgarblythe,
Awesome, I will be writing the 3rd book in the Time Addicts trilogy. May the words flow ever in your favor!!
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 06:03 am
@jespah,
Much respect for your ability. I'm going to try harder this year.
jespah

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 06:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Thank you. <3 I know you can do this. Smile
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 06:54 am
@edgarblythe,
Looking forward to reading about your progress. Much admiration for your courage and perseverance.

Currently, I’m working on my photo projects. Enlargements of our travel and nature images of Costa Rican trip in the spring.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 07:42 am
@Ragman,
I often have wondered about your photography. Good to know it's on track.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 07:55 am
@edgarblythe,
Best of luck, Edgar.

May the Muse of your selected genre' be with you.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 07:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks. Westerns are not as popular as they once were, but they have a hardcore following.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 08:09 am
I had to learn more about the Military Trail, also known as the San Antonio-El Paso Road before it could proceed. I only learned yesterday about the Black Seminole scouts stationed at the fort where some of the happenings take place. While I'm not striving for 100% accuracy, I know many western fans are sticklers for accuracy. Those scouts were instrumental in ending the Indian wars in that part of the nation.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 07:05 am
Good luck, I'm taking the Kid and his new bride to Devon on Monday for their honeymoon.

I'm emailing my panto to the friend with the venue, but I do need to start writing soon.

I'm a bit upset because my last book got a bad review. It was from someone who liked vampire romance books, and my novel is the antithesis of that.

It's also a sequel which they didn't seem aware of, but what really annoyed me was they said it hadn't been proofread.

It had been, about three or four times, and not just by me.

I don't think they were familiar with English vernacular.
jespah

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 07:39 am
@izzythepush,
Reviews like that stink.

The first review of Untrustworthy was a DNF (did not finish). This was a reviewer I had sent a copy to.

And the review was obviously based on just what you can see with the Amazon Look Inside feature.

Shitty, careless reviews like this can gut an author, and make them want to stop writing.

I firmly believe that they are the same kind of abuse people heap on waitstaff and clerks, the kind of nasty behavior that far too much of society thinks is acceptable and doesn't detract from their personal views that they are good people.

News flash: they aren't.

Second news flash: writers don't (or at least they shouldn't) expect rave reviews all the time. But there's a vast difference between a review that says characters lacked depth or the plot was predictable or the accents were hard to read versus being an asshole to a writer to make you feel better about your miserable self.

PS congratulations to the kid and his bride!
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 07:44 am
@jespah,
Thank you, that helps.

I'll congratulate them now.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 07:51 am
@jespah,
What was ironic was that the reviewer did read it all,they said as much at the beginning, so it can't have been too bad.

I saw the other books they had reviewed and they were all books like Twilight, and my target audience is people who hate stuff like that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 09:01 am
I've made it a policy to be nice to writers, even the ones I don't want to read more of. For instance, I go to Vocal and select stories to read almost at random. I always give them the "heart of approval" before reading the first word. I figure many writers on there are young and at a tender stage and so could use a bit of positivity.
jespah

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 10:10 am
@edgarblythe,
Exactly. Someone has courageously flung their stuff out to the universe. The absolute least we can all do is to be kind.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 11:14 am
I've just received a nice meme reply from the recipient of the play. I think performance is a good partner to writing which is so solitary.

It's also a good way of getting my stuff out there. If you can get people to laugh you're half way there. I can do stand up and that's a lot of it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 12:27 pm
I've been familiarizing myself with NaNo's website. There I go under the name, Arlo Clyde. Got my charcoal stick and a flat piece of rock to write upon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2021 06:03 pm
I did pretty well today. Not real confident yet.
jespah

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2021 06:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
2100 here. I have to do this year's in weird bits and pieces. Get up early, etc. So far, so good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2021 06:18 pm
I had to deal with a tree man and a broken fence, but still managed to get a go.
0 Replies