Good drivers - looking beyond men vs. women

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 10:21 am
I didn't realize this, but many states rate good drivers statistically because they fall into certain categories. The following is excerpts from an article about how our Governor wants to change how they rate good vs. bad drivers. I like it as it would favor me (I fit into all the low risk categories), however, it doesn't really sound all that fair.

Most of us think a good driver is someone who hasn't had any accidents or speeding tickets in the last several years, but companies in other also consider living their life in a responsible manner.

The best risks tend to be drivers who live in suburbia, with an advanced degree, a white-collar job, and a strong credit score. Other positive attributes: female, married, between the ages of 35 and 64, and owner rather than renter. All other things being equal, a male construction worker with a poor credit score would pay more than a female accountant with an advanced degree.

''It comes down to being a responsible driver," said Loretta Worters, a spokeswoman for the Insurance Information Institute, which is funded by auto and homeowners insurance companies. ''Responsibility is almost a direct correlation with risk."

In essence, a company's perception of a driver's risk of having a future accident would determine the premium he or she pays. In rate filings in other states, such big national carriers as Progressive and Geico make no secret of the dozens of nondriving yardsticks they use in helping to measure a driver's risk. Geico said its ''most favorable risks" were drivers with BAs or advanced degrees working as accountants, architects, dentists, engineers, judges, lawyers, pilots, teachers, veterinarians, physicians, executive secretaries with college degrees, and sales representatives with a high degree of technical knowledge.

The least favorable risks were ''nominally skilled clerks, assistants, postal clerks, and stock clerks. Also included were long-haul drivers, route men, unskilled and semiskilled blue and gray collar workers.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2005/07/24/what_makes_a_good_driver_insurers_often_say_lifestyle_job/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,352 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 10:27 am
That's what actuaries do <shrug>.

There's gotta be a way of setting the odds - and the odds are different for different types of drivers.

The alternative would be for everyone start at the highest rate of premium, and prove their way down the scale over the years.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 10:35 am
Yeah - but currently in Mass, they base your driving rating on your driving record (they may rate teenagers or inexperienced drivers lower) - not what they think you may do.

I agree statistically that a less educated, single male is more likely to have an accident, but how you would feel if you were that single male, but happened to never have been in an accident or got any sort of violation? I would be pretty p-o'd if it happened to me.
0 Replies

GrinCDXX

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:15 am
I have a huge problem with these risk factors. If the statistics were to show that female drivers were higher risk, anyone who suggested they pay higher premiums would immediately be demonized and dismissed as sexist. Since its the other way around its just logical. Also I see my fair share of BMW's speeding and weaving through heavy traffic...it would really piss me off to think they were paying a low premium just because of their job.
0 Replies