Fear..The Engine That Drives The Bush Machine

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:32 am
http://www.newsobserver.com/24hour/politics/story/2570372p-10997554c.html

No avoiding it...no denying it... a real shame.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 632 • Replies: 8
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:36 am
It's good to see our legislature doing something positive for a change.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:42 am
another fear driven quarter heard from.....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:20 am
How so? Because I support the Patriot act?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:30 am
It's fear driven...period.

But let's don't fight honey bunny.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:59 am
You mean people are afraid of being victims of homocide bombers or some other terror event and they want the government to do something completely out of character like protecting them? Shocked

The sheer nerve!

Now, I don't personally fear terrorists where I live, but I bet the people living in large metro areas have it in the back of their minds. If you feel the Patriot act is nothing more than fear driven legislation, I have to say that it makes me think you haven't fully investigated what it does or what it is being used for.

The Lackawanna 6 were prosecuted directly as a result of the powers given investigators under the Patriot act.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 10:27 am
"Forty-three Democrats joined 214 Republicans in passing the bill, which dropped 14 of 16 expiration dates on provisions initially drafted into the law shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks."

Make that 43 reasonable and informed Democrats.

This is good news.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 11:31 am
In spite of Setanta's warnings that the gov't is going to hell in a racecar, this non-partisan effort proves that issues that really matter to our survival get the proper attention and action.

Now if we can persuade that grand body of the US Senate to take like action we may have a chance to defeat terrorism. Personally I don't give a damn if the gov't can see what books I checked out.......they will also be able to watch and observe who used the computers in our libraries. How do you think these bastards communicate?.........mainly with computers.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:46 am
IMO the legislation should have a provision that after x amount of years it had to be revisited and reapproved. What may seem to be necessary today may not be in years down the line.
0 Replies