Best USA cities to visit during six month trip across USA.

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 05:30 pm
Very Happy I am planning a six month trip across the USA. Anyone with advice regarding this journey is welcome and what are the best cities to visit?
Thnaks for any advice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,193 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 05:36 pm
Northern route? Southern? Starting point? Help me along here.

A place that I can recommend is Santa Fe, New Mexico and also try Galveston, Texas along with most of the State of Oregon and of course all of Vermont.

Some of this will depend on what your interests are.
0 Replies

keuracce

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 05:47 pm
I would be starting from the east coast to the west coast.
My point of departure is NYC.
Thanks for any information.
0 Replies

keuracce

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 05:49 pm
Any 10 cities in the USA would be a good starting point for a list.
Are hostels good places to stay at?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 05:57 pm
Thinking it's pretty easy to come up with 10 cities to see in the US of A but how about putting some rural america on the list? I remember chatting with some friends in Leeds England who had visited the US several times they had been to Boston/ New York City and Miami. In their eyes they had "seen" america.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:06 am
Leaving NYC head north to beautiful Vermont then west into New York State and other points west. Okay here is a list from east to west and points in between:

1)New London Connecticut a charming older town along the water it is very peaceful.

2)Rutland Vermont I love it and it is small, quiet, friendly and has lots to offer.

3)Jamestown New York hometown of Lucille Ball and a nice place as well.

4)Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania city has it all. Museums, music, hills, trains, big city in the downtown area and more suburban and then rural the further out you go but within an hours drive you will find everything. Be sure to visit Max & Erma's down on Stanwix Street and enjoy a delicious I.C. brew with a Garbage Burger. (or maybe you'd rather a Primanti's sandwich with the fries as part of the sandwich right on top of your roast beef or pastrami?) Pittsburgh is a food lovers delight and they don't skimp on portions, perhaps a trait still there from the days when it was a largely immigrant and steel worker community.

5)Head west and be sure to check out Bemidji Minnesota for a look at how simple and quaint the Mississippi River is at its start.

6)Head into the Dakotas and get a good look at both Mount rushmore which is bewildering in its enormity and the amount of work that went into sculpting it and then while still in the Dakotas you can enjoy the vastness and beauty of the Badlands.

Okay let's go up to Montana and drive towards Idaho

7)Lewiston Idaho Trust me you will enjoy it.

8)Seattle Washington, a city rich in history

9) San Diego California

10) Santa Fe, New Mexico be sure to check out the entire city and get a load of the round house which is the Capitol building. A few miles out of Santa Fe it becomes a completely different appearance but wherever you are in the area always get a good look at the beautiful Sangre de Cristo Mountains bathed in both the sunrise and then later as the sun sets. Simply breathtaking!

Well, that is a very very short list and does not give me the chance to also get you to places like Baton Rouge and Shreveport Louisiana, or Hot Springs, Pine Buff, Little Rock Arkansas. Miss the entire state of Montana, and be sure to visit St. Louis Missouri, A large portion of Oklahoma. speaking of Oklahoma, get a hold of a map for the old Route-66. The roads are still all there, although not always in greatest condition and often go through small towns as well as a few cities and what not and the entire trip offers a real feel of what the entire United States is like and the small stores and eateries along the way offer you real friendliness that is hard to find in some of the places that have become tourist traps.

Main thing, just bring along an open mind, a free spirit and a hearty appetite for learning, exploring, food and fun.

Enjoy!!!!!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:15 am
what are your intentions on this trip? what is your country of origin? Do you have your papers in order? are you willing to sign an oath of allegiance to GW bush? if not, please follow me to indoctrination and re training complex number 6.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:32 am
Sturgis wrote:
Leaving NYC head north

Whoooooooooooaaaaaaaaaa!
Screeeech!

How about the hospitable South? Anyone that doesn't visit Memphis and New Orleans isn't getting the full picture Laughing

And then...the Bi-Bear den in North Carolina. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:47 am
Train ride from Denver to LA, some of the most amazing views Ive ever seen...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:51 am
you can go anywhere BUT, you must make a stop in New Orleans .

BEMIDJI Minnessota? damn, and I was gonna suggest Eagles Mere Pa.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 09:00 am
Stop in Raleigh and I will take you a few miles east to visit the home of the world's greatest heavy metal-country band...Led Zebulon.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 09:09 am
It is so difficult to say where to go unless I know what you are interested in.

History - I would say definately go to Boston. If you want more towns and/or country I would give a completely different answer. If you want big cities I would direct you to NYC and then south to DC - I think DC should be a good stop anyway as it is the capital of our country and lots of great sights (most free).

As far as hostels - never stayed in one in the US, but I have in Great Britain. It is sort of like staying in a large dormintary. You share a big room with a dozen or so other people (of the same sex), and share bathroom facilities. Some even ask you to help out and sweep or clean a little (that only happened to me once). Many have curfews where you have to be back in by a certain time (usually midnight or one).

They are cheap, but you lose any sort of privacy and possibly need to come in earlier than you would like.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:17 pm
panzade wrote:
Sturgis wrote:
Leaving NYC head north

Whoooooooooooaaaaaaaaaa!
Screeeech!

How about the hospitable South? Anyone that doesn't visit Memphis and New Orleans isn't getting the full picture Laughing

And then...the Bi-Bear den in North Carolina. Twisted Evil

Well then, now I will be forced to trot out the Southern Comfort Itinerary.

1)Staunton, Virginia. Not the usual run of the mill sort of place people are familiar with it is a nice place and of course birthplace of the 4 ORIGINAL Statler Brothers (Flowers On The Wall, Class of '57, Official Historian On Shirley Jean Burrell, Bed Of Roses).

2)Head south into Wilmington North Carolina and if you can head over to spectacular Ocracoke Island. The free ferry ride over will be quite an enjoyable way to relax and forget your troubles during the 3 hour ride.

3) Travel down to Myrtle Beach South Carolina

4)Savannah Georgia, a place rich in history and tranquil enough to soothe even the most nervous. Spanish moss dripping and draping off of some of the most gorgeous Magnolia trees (as well as other trees)you will ever have the privilege of seeing and the design of the town (the part where Savannah began) as created by James Oglethorpe is amazingly well planned. Keep in mind Oglethorpe not only started the Colony of Georgia he founded it's first community which was Savannah. Oh, I feel so dreadful that I didn't send our traveler there before.

5)Waycross Georgia is not to be missed and then off you go heading west through Florida and its panhandle admiring the scenery as you zip into Alabama.

6)Mobile Alabama (also be sure to head up north to Huntsvile Alabama and learn about space exploration)

7)Natchez Mississippi,

8)Baton Rouge Louisiana

9) South Padre Island Texas

10) swing back and check out Lake Charles Louisiana.

The choices are endless, it all depends on where a person is interested in going and what their interests are. Louisiana is a state filled with delightful music and delicious food and hospitality abounds throughout the state in each and every parish.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:22 pm
In the Midwest, you have to stop in Chicago. Cleveland rocks. Nashville and Memphis are great. St. Louis and Kansas Ctiy if you have the time. Please don't miss San Francisco when you get out west.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:34 pm
El Rito New Mexico
Paonia Colorado
Monticello Utah
Greer Arizona
Red Lodge Montana
Bagdad Arizona
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:37 pm
Cawker City, Kansas .... World's Largest Ball of Twine.

Need I say more?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:50 pm
Cawker Kansas, there outta be a law!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:23 pm
Swimpy wrote:
. . . Cleveland rocks . . .

Mama knows but she don't care
She's got her worries too
Seven kids and a phony affair
And the rent is due
All the little chicks with the crimson lips go
Cleveland rocks, Cleveland rocks
She's livin'in sin with a safety pin
She's goin' Cleveland rocks, Cleveland rocks, Cleveland rocks, Cleveland rocks

I ain't buyin' it . . . i've lived in Ohio eighteen years now, and apart from drivin' up 271 to get I 90, i've managed to avoid the city completely. I hope to always do so . . .
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:51 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Stop in Raleigh and I will take you a few miles east to visit the home of the world's greatest heavy metal-country band...Led Zebulon.

That was freakin' funny... Very Happy
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 06:24 pm
Thank you, swimpy for the San Francisco plug! Smile

If you get as far west as the actual west coast, no matter whether it be north to south or south to north, the Highway 1 Route is incredible! All along the Pacific Ocean. Dang, somehow in there though you really should try a side trip to Yosemite. It can be done. You've got six months!

I also think Austin Texas is pretty cool with its romantic Riverwalk and all.

But then there is also....crap, I could go on forever. Why not just make it a year and really see more of everything?

We gotta narrow it down. City lover, nature lover, some of each?
0 Replies