Recommendations: What brands (specific) should we get?

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 05:27 pm
We were told after some research that it is

a) very expensive to ship anything to Alaska. poor amazon.com

b) everything costs an arm and a kidney there.

so C) we have to buy everything before we leave in Sep/Oct!!!

strollers? do we get the new kind that has the carseat that attaches to it and he/she eventually grows into the other part? or is that too big? I'm so lost.

bjorn??

crib?
cheap but nice sheets, etc? what site should I use (definitely want dog designs)

Do I need a diaper change rack? I've heard mixed things?

best place to get cheap baby furniture?

best diapers for newborns ...brand?

bottles?

swing set?

rocking chair? should we get one?

what else does our little one need? *confused*

(((hugs everyone for the help)))
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,249 • Replies: 26
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 05:34 pm
Stroller we got -
Pegperego strollers are durable for ANYTHING and are large enough to grow with a child until 5 years old.

Car seat - we got Britax marathon. Best ratings, best amount of 'growth rate' and removable seat cover for cleaning!

get consumers buy guides for little stuff

http://www.barebabies.com/strolfrompeg.html

http://www.babyage.com/i_13245_cp_gogl7852_e9w0672_britax_britax_marathon_convertible_carseat.aspx

Spend the most on safety , and the LEAST on toys.;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 08:29 pm
Is there an Ikea nearby?

Great for cribs and lots more. Best place to get cheap baby furniture hands down.

Avoid Graco. They're everywhere, they look perfectly decent, their prices are good, but they get a LOT of recalls. (For a while, I kept up to date on a few recall lists.) (In case it's not obvious, they have a lot of safety issues -- they sell something, it turns out that a defect causes injuries or worse, they recall it.) They have a few subsidiary brands, too (forget the names just now), avoid them too.

We had a Combi stroller and were really pleased with it. Peg Perego is supposed to be great, but is really expensive. Combi is more reasonably priced and we abused it for more than three years, when we stopped using it because sozlet was too big it was still working fine.

Have to check the brand of car seat, I forget, we really like it though. Remember that you'll need two kinds, rear-facing to (20 pounds?) and then front-facing.

Diaper change rack? Do you mean changing table? There's also the.. uh... what IS it called? The pad thing...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000056HK2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Yeah, "contoured changing pad." DEFINITELY worth it. Great for keeping wriggly baby coralled. That part is most important, can put it on kitchen counter or whatever, but there are a lot of benefits to having a changing table. Can keep all the stuff right there (not just diapers but wipes, diaper cream, etc.), and when she was going through super wiggly distracted periods I hung a mobile over it, etc.

Baby Bjorn is highly recommended.

If you'll be breastfeeding, actually even if not, a Boppy is highly recommended. I was more grateful for that thing than for any other single baby item in her first 9 months or so.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000056J63.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Will kep thinking.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 09:11 pm
Jo, are you going to be living on the military base?

I'll bet there are a lot of moms who pass that stuff around on base.

Have you checked the PX?

Alaska is a bit more expensive but they do have stores there. I wouldn't ship anything big unless the (Army?) military is paying for it. They do still pay some moving expenses don't they.

Will Alaska count as your "hardship tour"?

I have a good friend who is spending the summer working up there and she says Alaska is Heavenly.

I would love to go there!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:15 am
For most items brand name is not as important. Even at Babies R Us and what I read in Consumer Reports is that typically for most babies items the difference in prices and brand names is really the cosmetic stuff. There will be some items that are slightly safer or easier to use, etc., but typically price does not affect that. Since baby items are so highly regulated most items are safe, so to me it is personal preference.

I did find that most people do like the stroller with the car seat. It is easier when they are infants. You use a base in car for the carseat that can remain locked in so you simply click the release button can lift baby out and place into the stroller without even disturbing them. However, I found once the baby was old enough, a smaller stroller was easier to use - it is easier to carry and fold than the larger one you use with the car seat. But the smaller strollers are also very inexpensive so we have both. Also for the car seat, I would suggest practicing lifting and carrying it to see which one feels comfortable for you.

I never bought a diaper change rack. I purchased a pad that can put on top a dresser. Much less money and saves on space in the room. I kept the baby diapers, wipes, etc. in the top drawer. Personally I thought Pampers was the best brand for comfort for the baby.

I never used a rocking chair, but I know many moms did love them. I think it is more personal preference.

I agree with sozobe with Graco - I am always hearing about recalls from them. And with Combi - it folds really well - we have used it for my 6 year old (she still fits in it too) when she was about a year or more until about 4 or 5. Now my two year old uses it. So we have used it for about 5 years totaled and like sozobe we abused it (and still are). Besides a few cosmetic thinks it is still ticking. However, it is for a an older baby, not a newborn.

I have heard a similar thing about the baby bop. Most moms love it and swear by it. I also breast fed and never used it. For my second baby, they gave me one to use in the hospital and I found it was more uncomfortable for me so I never used it. It is also supposed to be great for babies as they get older. You can prop them up so they can sit up for example. I just found pillows easier for me. They are not very expensive so even though it didn't work for me, (I am just different I guess) most moms love them.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:33 am
Soz wrote __
Quote:
Remember that you'll need two kinds, rear-facing to (20 pounds?) and then front-facing.

that is one of the reasons we got the Britax. Combine the price of 2 diffrent car seats, and you exceed the up front cost of a Britax. It is both front and rear facing. And you can use it from 5 pounds to 65 lbs.
Life time replacement contract and all removable , all washable surfaces, straps, covers etc.
Weighs less then 15 lbs and is SUPER easy to install.
Britax , that I know of, NEVER EVER had a recall. Has always placed 1st or 2nd place in safety and reliability.

Soz is right on the money .
GRACO isnt worth the time it takes to look at thier price tag.
They are mass produced, thin pieces of crap.
More and more often they are recalled BECAUSE they have harmed children and not because they MAY harm chilldren. I dont see how they are still in business.

If you want a changing table, you can go to walmart and get a really cheap one for less then 70 bucks that will last you and look ok.
I went with a changing table, got it from walmart ( 54.00$ ) and couldnt imagine being with out it. When bean was first born , the changing table was in the living room. It is light enough that I can take it everywhere in the house. But, truth be told, they are not a necessity.. more of a luxury as the floor, couch, counter. your lap... all work just as well.

You should be able to just google the phrase ' baby recalls' and get several sights that will tell you everything that has been recalled up to the last 10 years. In shopping for a brand, just dont pick a brand that has had more then 3 recalls in 5 years. If it takes more then once to learn thier lesson, the company isnt paying enough attention to thier product to deserve your money or your babies safety..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 09:19 am
Here is another great website in which people place their opinions of products they like and do not like. I have found it very helpful in choosing some items. I used this to confirm my decision to buy my car seat for my youngest.

http://www.epinions.com/

One other thing about a combo seat - for some infants it does not fit as well (that is why I choose the infant and then moved to the larger forward facing seat). I also like the ease of being able to lift baby right in car seat to stroller. However, if money is an issue a combo could work - you can buy these cloth insert that help hold the baby better. I even used this for my infant seat so I imagine it would also work well in a combo seat.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 10:49 am
That was what it was -- the first one had a handle and was easy to tote around, and fit in the stroller. I guess it's kind of six of one, half-a-dozen of the other, in that the stroller/ carrier/ carseat saves money on the stroller(s) (we had only one), while the infant --> kid carseat saves money on carseats.

Re: infant stroller, we never actually used it until she was older -- when she was teeny-tiny I just used the Baby Bjorn in any stroller situation, much more convenient (and she loved it.)

I really appreciated having the little tote carseat, absolutely great for car transitions. (She'd often fall asleep in the car and then I'd just unlock it from the base and bring her in and let her keep sleeping, whereas if we tried to get her out -- unstrap etc. -- she'd wake up.)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:16 am
There's a book called Baby Bargains that you might want to look at. Great advice on what's necessary vs. what's nice to have vs. what's useless.

They also have reviews and recommendations.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:37 am
Thanks a bunch for the recommendations. We spent almost 1,000 last weekend on baby supplies. Dear goodness, that was WAY more than we ever expected!!!! Okay, one of those items was a Dyson vacuum, hehehe... but I used the "we need an upgrade because of the .....baby" to get it. Embarrassed

The sites you emailed me shewolfnm and advice was very helpful! I compiled one list of everything I learned (copy and pasted a lot) and am keeping it as a guide when we go to Babies R' Us. I'm depressed to know we don't have that store in alaska NOR do they ship there! It was my first time there, and I WAS IN HEAVEN!!! HEA-VENNNNNNN!!!

I guess what I didn't take into consideration is MR JOAH. Sad I tried to get cheap everything, but he's not having it. We're currently trying to come to an agreement on furniture (5-drawer dresser, changing table, crib) because he wants very good quality. I understand... makes perfect sense... he doesn't want furniture made of cheap stuff you can break with one kick. I just don't think we need expensive because I've seen lower-end beds, etc last through several children (when I babysat).

I think we're getting this

Crib: The Emily Convertible Crib

Are we allowed to post the links? I didn't because I don't know if that's allowed from a shopping site?

We bought the GRACO Quattro Tour Travel System which I LOVE to death!!!

Aquarium Healthy Care High Chair
by Fisher-Price;

Ocean Wonders Aquarium Cradle Swing
by Fisher-Price;

Sure Comfort Deluxe Newborn-to-Toddler Tub
by The First Years

...and a Swaddle Me and Bundle Me to keep our baby warm!
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:42 am
What we still need: ...any recommendations?
I put down what we are thinking about if there is a consideration. Otherwise, I don't know what to get.

For furniture, I've agreed to just go to a local furniture store and find a nice collection. He thinks Babies R' Us is too expensive or the low price stuff is cheap. Sad

Cream for cracked ...um...mom boobs: Lansinol cream
Lotion
Ear Thermometer
Humidifier - Vicks 1.2 Gallon Cool Mist 39.99

Mattress pad
Mattress
Dresser
Changing Rack

Play pen -

Diaper Genie OR Champ

Boppy
Carrier - Eddie Bauer, Snugli, or Baby Bjorn?
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:49 am
boomerang, most likely we will not live on base. Mr. Joah thinks the military gives us too much money for "housing" PLUS COLA to waste it on free housing. Ex: If we live on post, we deny our housing allowance ...but get free electricity and house. But if we live off base, we get $65,000+ from the military in housing allowance to invest in a home which builds our credit and hopefully makes us money when we re-sell. Housing market there has gone up pretty steady each year.

The PX only has so much unless you go to their website. There we are still faced with shipping charges of very heavy stuff (ie, a crib, furniture). Your advice did encourage me to go to their website though for ideas!

Alaska isn't a hardship tour. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:50 am
Completely agreed with your hubby about Babies R Us furniture. Larcenous for the price + quality. (As in, low quality, high price.)

The Lansinoh is important. Also various baby butt emolients. :-) We had some vitamin E stuff (E? I think) that was fantastic.

We had a Baby Bjorn, loved it. Also a sling. Slightly different purposes.

Here's a selection (random from Google search):

http://www.nurturedfamily.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=9

Sample:

http://www.nurturedfamily.com/images/SLINGPICsm.jpg

I think we had a Maya wrap, don't remember. (Borrowed it and has been returned.) It was good when she was tiny but was a lifesaver when she was about 6 months --> 18 months old.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:20 am
I was wondering whether to get that or not ...as well!!!

I forgot to add a breast pump. Medela or Isis? Seems like MEdela is more popular but extremely expensive.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:28 am
Avent has a comfortable manual pump that I used and worked really well. Very simple to use and breaks down easily for good travel packing and clean up
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:05 am
Agree completely with the Mr. regarding baby furniture. We've completely avoided "baby" furniture except for a crib and a light-weight changing table. I suggest one with a couple of open shelves so one can get at stuff quickly.

We figure there's time enough to get baby furniture when Ya-ya's ready to move to a toddler bed.

We also avoided getting a convertible crib since we were pretty sure we'd need a crib for add'l babies.

If money's an issue, then don't worry about those expensive crib-sets, either. You have to take the bumpers off just when they might start to be useful and the only thing the quilt is useful for is hanging on the wall. Evil or Very Mad

Go for quality on the car seat, check consumer reports, recall notices, etc. Get an extra base for the car seat if you have two cars.

Others may have thoughts about diaper pails; we have a Diaper Genie that works really well. But buying the cartridges is a pain.

Suggestion: keep a couple of charcoal briquettes in the bottom of the diaper pail. Especial for formula babies or once they start on solid foods.

Get an umbrella stroller to leave in the trunk.

We used our Bjorn extensively. I think the ones that put the baby on the hip look nice, too, but you can't turn the baby around to face front.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:16 am
I never used any sort of baby carrier or sling. My husband did use the one we bought - one of those soft types that fit so you can either wear it in front or back. I just suggest you get one that has some sort of support for the head.

I agree with the good quality car seat - also definately read reports on these as you can spend alot of money without getting extra safety (i.e. you spend more for design rather than what you really need it for).

I never used a diaper genie - I simply had a diaper pail - we put old dryer sheets in the bottom. Never had issues with smells, but we do make sure it is thrown out frequently enough.

Also - not that you are ready yet, but since Drewdad mentioned it - I would skip the toddler bed and just go straight to a regular good quality bed. Toddler beds are used for such a short time that they are an unnecessary expense.

One other thing once you start buying clothes - you are better off getting the basic outfits. So many people buy this cute dresses or suits and stuff, but baby will not be comfortable in this expensive outfits. Basically you end dressing in them once and take a picture. Play/sleep outfits are best for infants and there are many cute ones.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:53 am
Plus you get all kinds of clothes in showers, birthdays, Christmas, visits, etc.

Dittos on the toddler bed; we're planning on just putting a twin mattress on the floor for a while.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:59 am
one more "ditto' on those toddler beds.
Even if you DO decide to get one, remember toddlers are destructive. Crayons, pens, and anything that can scratch the wood can and WILL be used. They wont be 'pretty' for long.
As Drewdad is doing so will we.
Children fall off of beds and sometimes dierectly on thier little heads. Until they learn NOT to jump on a bed or how to get off of the bed properly in the middle of the night, it is a good safety thing to get as close to the ground as possible. Toddler beds ARE close , but in my paranoid mommy mind.. not close enough . ;-)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 12:37 pm
You can easily buy a bed rail or guard. We did until our daughter got old enough we weren't concerned with her falling out of bed.

Key thing to prevent any crayons, etc. on furniture. Have rules that crayons are to be used only in this room/table. Keep crayons and other things out of reach except when they are actually using them. Also - there are washable crayons and markers - I highly suggest this until they are old enough to understand.
0 Replies