Molly Ivins: Big-Time Trouble, but Why Worry?

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 10:11 am
Big-Time Trouble, but Why Worry?
By Molly Ivins, AlterNet
Posted on July 22, 2005, Printed on July 23, 2005
http://www.alternet.org/story/23670/

If you had done a poll in November 2000, or in November 2004, I don't think you would have gotten out of single digits with this proposition: "George W. Bush wants to radically revise American law, including complete repeal of the New Deal, and take us back to the economic legal system that prevailed at the turn of the 19th century -- Robber Barons Redux."

During the past five years, both media and political circles have devoted an enormous amount of attention to social issues and culture wars -- rise of the Christian Right, anti-abortion groups, our debates over moral decline and moral relativism, prayer in the schools, school vouchers, displaying the Ten Commandments, sex and violence in entertainment, bias in the news media, gay marriage and all the rest of it. I sometimes think all of it amounts to a bunch of people saying, "The world would be a much better place if everybody else thought exactly the same way I do." Reminds me of Dr. Henry Higgins in his famous philosophical disquisition, "Why Can't A Woman Be More Like A Man?" Higgins finally discovers the ultimate problem: "Why can't a woman be more like ME?"

Then, of necessity, we have spent huge amounts of time on Sept. 11, terrorism, Iraq, and related and ancillary problems. It is not necessary to review the bidding here, but Iraq is becoming as divisive and unpopular as the Vietnam War.

While we have been absorbed in the silly circus of cultural issues and the riveting questions of the war, we've also been getting our pockets picked. Big time. I am impressed that cartoonist Lloyd Dangle in the strip "Troubletown" managed to get the whole problem into 12 panels, each announcing some piece of economic news accompanied by an American saying, essentially, "What, me worry?" The U.S. is over $7 trillion in debt (no problem); China buys $1 billion worth of U.S. treasury bills a day (thanks for floating us); Americans love the prices at Wal-Mart (made in China, cute!); the Chinese save 50 percent of their domestic product; the average American has $9,000 on his credit cards; our economy is fueled by a fragile housing bubble; the minimum wage is $5.15 per hour ... ; taxpayers who earn over $1 million saved $30K under Bush tax cuts; the war in Iraq costs $9 billion a month; by 2040, our kids will be unable to do more than pay the interest on the national debt ... ; bankruptcy reform makes it impossible to escape your debts; in Darfur [Sudan], people earn $1.25 a day.

For those who prefer to get their economic news from a more respectable source than a cartoon, I recommend Bill Greider's op-ed article in the July 18 New York Times, "America's Truth Deficit." He begins with the startling thesis that we face structural economic problems as serious as those that destroyed the late Soviet Union and that, like the USSR before its breakup, our leaders cannot talk about these problems honestly. "[Our] weakening position in the global trading system is obvious and ominous, yet leaders in politics, business, finance and the news media are not willing to discuss candidly what is happening and why. Instead they recycle the usual bromides about the benefits of free trade and assurances that everything will work out for the best."

It is a curious thing that as the disadvantages and, indeed, perils of globalization become clearer and the subject of ever-more worried books by respected economists, the mainstream media keep treating the whole problem as though it were about a bunch of protesters in turtle costumes at the G8 summit. If it were not for Lou Dobbs on CNN, one would never even hear it mentioned on television.

Forget what the Supreme Court thinks about teaching creationism in the schools: Think about what it will contribute to the spiraling disasters of globalization by dismantling the entire economic regulatory system built up over the past 100 years. As Greider notes, "Washington defines 'national interest' primarily in terms of advancing the global reach of our multinational enterprises." Problem is, our multinational corporations increasingly work against the interests of Americans themselves. In addition to outsourcing jobs, the companies locate sham headquarters in off-shore tax havens to avoid paying taxes. The only restraints we have ever had on multinational corporations are government regulation and the right to sue the bastards for the various kinds of harm they cause. It is precisely those two forms of control that are being not just undermined but tossed out entirely by an increasingly activist right-wing judiciary.

Recommended reading: Greider's "One World, Ready Or Not"; David Korten's "When Corporations Rule the World"; and Paul Krugman's "The Great Unraveling."

Molly Ivins writes about politics, Texas and other bizarre happenings.

Lloyd Dangle's TroubleTown blog:
http://troublogtown.blogspot.com/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 872 • Replies: 11
No top replies

rayban1

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 10:27 am
Molly Ivens is one the most famous "Lefty" colomnists, and her conclusion below would be very difficult to back up with any factual data which of course is completely lacking. BBB, perhaps you can provide some factual data to back up her scurilous claim since you posted this bit of irresponsible trash.

Quote:
It is precisely those two forms of control that are being not just undermined but tossed out entirely by an increasingly activist right-wing judiciary.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 10:29 am
rayban1 wrote:
Molly Ivens is one the most famous "Lefty" colomnists, and her conclusion below would be very difficult to back up with any factual data which of course is completely lacking. BBB, perhaps you can provide some factual data to back up her scurilous claim since you posted this bit of irresponsible trash.

Quote:
It is precisely those two forms of control that are being not just undermined but tossed out entirely by an increasingly activist right-wing judiciary.

Rayban, I don't have to. You just made Molly's point. Congratulations.

BBB Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 10:38 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
rayban1 wrote:

Quote:

Rayban, I don't have to. You just made Molly's point. Congratulations.

BBB Rolling Eyes

Oh realy.......You and Molly deal in smoke and mirrors......all I want is the facts. Let's start with how I proved her point since her conclusion was an incoherent rant which lacked any shred of evidence in the article.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 10:43 am
Rayban
Rayban, you have no imagination. Here you go again with the give me facts diversion tactic you use so often. Why don't you ask Molly for her facts. I'm sure she would be glad to educate you if she thought there was an open mind in the vicinity.

BBB
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 10:57 am
Re: Rayban
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Rayban, you have no imagination. Here you go again with the give me facts diversion tactic you use so often. Why don't you ask Molly for her facts. I'm sure she would be glad to educate you if she thought their was an open mind in the vicinity.

BBB

Laughing That's exactly what I expected from you........more smoke. You cannot defend the indefensible.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 01:50 pm
rayban
I would suggest to you that you read Paul Krugman's book "The Great Unraveling" that Molly Ivins refers to in her column.

I know you're going to say he's just another "lefty" economics professor and op-ed columnist but he does lay out for us the offshore tax havens many corporations are using to avoid paying their fair share (of taxes). He also touches on job outsourcing and many other economic problems we are facing, and why he feels we're (America) losing our way.

Check it out, it's not just another Molly Ivins rant.............................
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 03:38 pm
rodeman wrote:
rayban
I would suggest to you that you read Paul Krugman's book "The Great Unraveling" that Molly Ivins refers to in her column.

I know you're going to say he's just another "lefty" economics professor and op-ed columnist but he does lay out for us the offshore tax havens many corporations are using to avoid paying their fair share (of taxes). He also touches on job outsourcing and many other economic problems we are facing, and why he feels we're (America) losing our way.

Check it out, it's not just another Molly Ivins rant.............................

Rodeman
Perhaps you should re-read the last sentence of her piece.......the part that I have the quarrel with:

Quote:

I have no quarrel with the allegation of off shore tax shelters which I believe are to be condemned. The out sourcing of jobs is very controversial and I am not qualified to voice an opinion one way or the other but it doesn't take an analytical genius to know that Ivens does not provide one shred of evidence to back the claim in the last sentence.

Regarding Krugman........you are correct about my opinion of him. He commits the same sin that Ivens commits.........he smears people of this administration without any evidence other than his opinions.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 04:16 pm
If you had done a poll in November 2000, or in November 2004, I don't think you would have gotten out of single digits with this proposition: "George W. Bush wants to radically revise American law, including complete repeal of the New Deal, and take us back to the economic legal system that prevailed at the turn of the 19th century -- Robber Barons Redux."

Exactly what I've been saying for years, but it began before Bush. He just happens to be the stooge in the White House as the plan reaches fruition.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 05:39 pm
Liar, crazy Molly freakshow Ivins propels thoughtful people to the polls....to vote for the other side!!!----------------

The recent decision of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram to pull Molly Ivins' column from the Dallas Observer ["'A little bit of revenge,'" February 22] is a most petty move. Evidently, they hold criticism in as much contempt as Ivins holds objectivity.

I have read Molly's column for many a year, and have always marveled at her ability to mangle, obfuscate, and distort the truth to such an extent as to make George Orwell blanch. Though I am neither a Republican nor a Democrat, her sweeping generalizations about both parties, as well as any other number of subjects, were always presented from an emotional and subjective, rather than logical or factual, stance. She demonizes her foes while idealizing her allies to such an extent as to render her columns mere propaganda.

This tendency had become so bad that one would almost dread her patronizing defense of some very enlightened causes, many of which I am a very passionate believer in! Thus, it was not her perspective that was so odious; rather, it was her debate style--filled with contradictions, illogic, wild rationalizations, and a contempt for the truth--which was always sure to fill me with disgust.

It is also exactly why her column is so important. Two of the great dangers today are apathy and ignorance. Those in power thrive on people exhibiting those features. Thus, it is invaluable to have such extremists around; whether it's a Pat Buchanan, who chooses to blame all society's ills on "foreigners," or a Molly Ivins, who chooses legal gun owners or any other perceived nonliberal as the Ultimate Evil. They are two sides of the same coin. One must become galvanized into action to counteract their propaganda. If any real change is ever to occur, lies and prejudice should be met and defeated in the public forum.

However, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram way of doing things imperils this. So as Molly speeds off (probably in a BMW) into the sunset, smugly rhapsodizing about "the '60s" and how her generation "made a difference," I can but hope that she will yet again find a way to make herself heard in Dallas. Reading her column was not unlike viewing a smug murderer who regularly beats the system and smirks at his superiority and your stupidity: It was impossible to remain apathetic.

James Leonard
Dallas

I was sorry to see that Molly Ivins' column will no longer be published in the Observer. Her column was the only reason I ever picked up the Observer. It was the most amusing and laughable collection of liberal trash to be found. The people of the Dallas area will be fortunate not to be exposed to the garbage she put out. Too bad the rest of the country can't be so lucky.

R.D. Spooner
Dallas

--------
LOL!!!!
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 06:26 am
Before you go too far... brush up on your Guoyu and take those fiddle lessons.

TTF
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:09 pm
I LOVE the way Molly writes. She knows her Texas politics very, very well. And as a columnist, she doesn't have to serve up citations.
0 Replies