Water Surplus and Drought by Region

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 12:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
it only really took off when two German water companies started to make mineral spring water less of a luxury, and more accessible for the everyday German.: Selters and Fachingen.

Selterswasserflasche ("Selters water bottle") is a technical term for special jugs made of stoneware, which were produced and used as containers for trading mineral water (Selters water) at the latest since the 17th century. Although they are bottles in form, they are sometimes also referred to as mineral water jugs (or Selters water jugs), as the term jug was used for these vessels in 18th and 19th century written sources.

Interesting book in English: Bubbles from the Brunnen of Nassau (published 1845)

I've got one of those bottles, from the1880's.
https://i.imgur.com/qLFepFY.jpg

The stamp gives the idea when the bottle was made (changed any couple of years).
https://i.imgur.com/OEhMCvo.jpg

We had had several at home, used as warm flats (the others used for this purpose were Steinhäger bottles. [Steinhäger is a slightly different kind of water, the Westphalian type of gin, sold brown earthenware bottles as well.)

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 12:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
germany has been ahead of the game for lwad pips but, Ill bet you still hve tons of lwad solder joints all over. When lad pips were being pahsed out in the US in the 1920" , th use of lead/tin solder was till a hug poblem into the 980's when we began to rank n pull the pipes out of service (BUT well drillrs STILL used lwd packrs and drive shos and many of thie fittings were made by european companies. Its a wordwie problem and , noone has compltetly solved it. I was on a popl to pwopl round table for atr suppis back in the 1990's and lots of countries denied they had ANY Pb left hen we could go over to a nearby facilities store n buy em OTC.

its most acute in house wells today, new contruction uses PVC or ABS plastic and Stainless . The houses from the 70;s and earlir still have Lead.
Just like lead paint, it took rules imposed on sellers to fix when a house or a developmnt was sold.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 01:07 pm
@farmerman,
Since December 2013, the (German) Drinking Water Ordinance has provided for new limits for lead. This may now no longer exceed 10 micrograms per litre of water for the water to be declared as drinking water.

The law does not stipulate that lead water pipes must be replaced across the board.
However, it does stipulate that the limit values must not be exceeded.
Since water flowing through lead pipes cannot comply with these limits, replacing the water pipes is simply unavoidable.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 01:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
how does that go into ffect for private homes on wells or on community water systems where the pH is lower than 6.8?
Thats where the problm exists in the US. Flint could have made the ppb limit but chose not to by having a cabal of city officials who lied or, at last, kept their mouth shut. Many tates (Im not ure about Michigan require priodic sampling nd analyses for bactria, Nitrogen, radon, and Mn/Pb/ Cu/As.

I think several of th Flint officils nd a state EPA official hve been charged and found guilty.

meanwhile a few people have been sickened and a few died

gollum

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 01:33 pm
@izzythepush,
How about constructing desalinization plants on the West Coast instead?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 01:34 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

when is UK gonna get rid ofALL the lead in the pipe joints

In Flynt, when people started getting brain damage, you could see the difference.

If there was lead poisoning in the UK, how would anyone even know.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 01:41 pm
@gollum,
I don’t know, Farmerman seems up on water in the US, he might answer.

It’s not something that has been given much thought over here.

When I was at sea the desalination machine wasn’t to be used within certain miles of land due to pollution.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 01:46 pm
@izzythepush,
The water quality in most of the US is excellent and routinely tested. Even in Flint, the issue arose when they changed the pH of the water allowing lead to leach from the pipes.
engineer

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 01:50 pm
@gollum,
Desalination is not cheap. In the end, making it possible for an area to support more people than it can naturally sustain is a risky proposition. A multiyear drought and suddenly whole communities are in trouble.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 01:51 pm
@engineer,
Most is quite a general term. I remember reading The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike by Philip K Dick which is all about water quality in a small rural community.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 01:52 pm
@gollum,
I know that desal plants using a fairly nifty Israeli method is being considered and study setups are being done near Monterey Calif.
The old desal systems using the PERMASEP (Dupont) processes were raaally expensive and not so great. The Israeli howto involves pressure/density separation of which I have told you everything I know bout it, SORRY, maybe Ill see if I cant find a site tht discusses it.
ll I know is tht it cheaper and its effective ( gets water down to 50 ppm0

salt. the chinese had a method but it was kinda wanky with a high energy input.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 01:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

how does that go into ffect for private homes on wells or on community water systems where the pH is lower than 6.8?
In rented flats, for example, the owner has a duty to inform the tenant if lead pipes are known to be present. Tests must then be carried out and the pipes replaced if necessary.
Private homeowners do this themselves (and have already done so).
Wells are inspected annually by the authorities
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 01:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
see, Id go for that. Our locl communities in the country re so hell bent on "Freedom to blow yer brains out' tht e totally ignore health and welfare.
I know its total Bullshit but thats why the US is about as civilized aome Mongol hoard,
we use LAngolier indices qe just dont enforce em till some disaster .happens.
oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04:24 pm
@farmerman,
Freedom isn't BS. Freedom is the most important thing.
oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04:25 pm
@izzythepush,
No izzy. You are the only stupid person here.

And Michigan's fresh water supplies are overwhelmingly superior to anything in the UK (or in the rest of Europe). You're just whining about Michigan because we are better than you are.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Wrong again izzy. While our water is better than your water, that is not the reason why I am smarter than you are. DNA is the reason why I intellectually outclass you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04:29 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Desalination is not cheap.

High temperature nuclear reactors can make it affordable.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04:31 pm
@oralloy,
I often think that you have your own special definition for the word "Freedom" that just doesn't comport with much of the rest of the world's. Youve added "License"
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04:34 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Freedom isn't BS. Freedom is the most important thing
trust me i certainly wouldnt interfere with anything you may plan for yourself, at least if it doesnt affect me.
oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04:42 pm
@farmerman,
Trying to outlaw pistol grips on my guns interferes with me.