So we're moving to lovely...

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:10 am
Mr. J got his next duty station yesterday. I'm still in shock.

Baby will be born in butt cold ALASKA! Woohoo, I think?

Let's see... I have raynauds... disease triggered by weather under 70 degrees where i get what is best described as arthritis attacks in my hands. What better place to go!!!

Otherwise, I'm stoked. I'll be SO MISERABLE, but what an experience!! This is what I have to tell myself. I mean all the nature right outside my window. How cool.

Husband has to go to airborne school first though. not sure how that works, just that I can't go with him. It's in Ft. Benning Georgia for 2 wks at the end of September.

He graduates at the end of Sept from his military advanced schooling stuff, so I assume we leave after that.

Poor Maltese will be so cold.

All my husband can say is YUKI (our sheepdog) and I will have SO much fun outside!!!

Me: Uhh.... you do realize you're married to me not Yuki right?

Him: Bahhh.. that's just what the paper says.

There's a guy in the class ahead of my husband (by 6wks) that has a wife I met the first day I got to Oklahoma who is due 3 days before me. Anywhoo... they are also going to Alaska, so it will be nice to already have someone to not only help us move (housing, places to eat, etc), but I can schedule playdates with. She also has a dog that is 7lbs and a herding dog that is 50lbs (our dogs are 6lbs and about 56lbs).

now we have 2 1/2 months to buy a house before get there!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,091 • Replies: 14
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:16 am
I am sorry to hear that Joa, but you'll be happy where your
family is, trust me.

I have a German friend living in Anchorage. At first she
was unhappy, but now she is overwhelmed by the beauty
of this state. She would not like to move from there again.

So you never know! Have a positive outlook and enjoy
the ride Wink
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 05:21 pm
My younger son was stationed in Alaska and loved it. Of course, he was a bachelor. He completed two years of college at the University in Anchorage and took full advantage of the outdoor opportunities.

The country is still partly frontier--civilians are very friendly. The cost of living is high, but you'll have the PX. If you feel flirtatious, men outnumber women.

Taking a husband with you is a good idea. As the saying goes, "In Alaska, a woman's odds are good--but the goods are odd."

Enjoy the inevitable.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 11:07 am
Quote:
In Alaska, a woman's odds are good--but the goods are odd.

That is WAY too funny.

We can't believe how much homes cost there. We've already begun house shopping. A 1500 sq ft home on average (in otherwords, lowest we can find so far) ...is $240,000 Holy Moly!!! A friend that will be going 6 wks ahead of us has been researching for several months. So we're targeting for around $199,000-210,000 which we may have found. Friend is trying to get us to buy the other side of their townhome (w/heated garage!) that is being built right now (be ready in nov). Our first home. I love the sound of that!!!!!
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:56 pm
Joa,

Where is your husband being stationed in AK, Ft Richardson or Ft Greely? I went to Northern Warfare School at Ft Greely in 1969. (Could it really be 36 years? GAAAAAAwd, I'm finally hitting middle age! Shocked ) It was beautiful. Granted, I didn't mind the cold or even parachuting in at -20F, on a sunny day. I went for the free, all expense paid vacation away from Ft Bragg, NC and the 82nd Airborne Division.

Housing isn't the only thing that is more expensive up there. Most things have to be flown in, adding to their expense. Seafood is fresher and lower priced, since it's local. So be prepared for that. However, using the Commissary should help a lot. I'm not too sure about prices at the PX.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:20 pm
Nice to see Wiyaka, and I've been wondering how Joahaeyo is recently.....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:23 pm
I had a friend in Anchorage when I was in Vt. His winter temps were oftentimes warmer than ours.

Hope you're doing well, Joah, where ever you are!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:35 pm
Warmer than Vermont? Well, doesn't that suggest "all warm and cozy"?

Ya ta hay, Wiyaka
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:54 am
Laughing Sure does, we would be in the teens in mid-afternoon and he was in the 30s. But, you're still talking beef stew or chicken soup weather either way.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:06 am
yeah... where is the sweet mommy to be ?

I hope things went well in the move.
Very Happy
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:34 am
Thanks everyone! I miss you guys. It's just things are so busy with a big move and baby on the way. Plus, I'm trying to fulfill my duties as a wife ...and actually cook something other than pre-made meals. Smile

I feel guilty just posting to give updates, but I can't find more time on the computer.

We just arrived to Anchorage. Well, it's been 2 wks. It's brrrrrrrr-eezing cold!!

My in-laws from tx called to say it was in the 60's the other day and they had to put on a sweater. I said, "don't you be complaining to me, ya hear... It was -8 the other night" Wink

I'm waiting for my husband to help me find the cords for the photo printer so I can get some pics up!

This Sat I'll be 33 wks!! Time moves by very quickly! Almost there. Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:35 am
Great, thanks for the update!

Yeah, that's cold alright... Shocked
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 01:57 pm
Joa--

Only 35 more days and the nights will start growing shorter.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 02:35 pm
Hiyyyyaa!
Glad to hear that things are going as well as -8 can be!
Very Happy
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 03:41 pm
and how are YOU doing, joa? how is your...ummm...what was it...the thing similar to arthritis triggered by cold weather? you dealing ok? hope to hear more soon.
0 Replies