Whites are now the MINORITY?

pragmatic

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 05:30 pm
Thomas wrote:
Pragmatic -- If there is one thing I've learned on the web, it's that very few people can fairly describe opinions they disagree with. With this in mind, could you link to a page where we can read Frazer's own account of what his claims are?

Hi Thomas,

if you type into google:

Professor Andrew Fraser Macquarie University

You'll find quite a number of different articles all talking about the prof and what has happened ever since his beliefs were made openly known. There are too many for me to give a link to.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:39 am
pragmatic wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Pragmatic -- If there is one thing I've learned on the web, it's that very few people can fairly describe opinions they disagree with. [...]

[...]You'll find quite a number of different articles all talking about the prof[...]

That's what I'm talking about. Judging by the way people talk about him, he is a terrible, terrible guy. But people are rarely fair in talking about opinions they disagree with, so I am not going to condemn anyone based on hearsay. I'd have to read the actual article in which he said the things that offended so many. And that article doesn't seem to live anywhere online.

pragmatic wrote:
There are too many for me to give a link to.

You can always constrain yourself to the three that you personally found most persuasive.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:15 am
Interestingly, there appears to be no article that can be found.

I am wondering if his writings are available only in academic journals (I got no hits searching, though) or if he mainly gives speeches?

Anyhoo, here are some reports about him, which prolly won't meet your criteria:

"Academic stirs fight over race
By Tim Dick
July 16, 2005

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Macquarie University is standing by a senior academic who opposes non-white immigration, arguing that academics must be free to say what they wish, while also distancing itself from his views and declaring racism abhorrent.

An associate professor in the Department of Public Law, Andrew Fraser, claims that African migration increases crime, says HSC results point to a rising ruling class of Asians and wants Australia to withdraw from refugee conventions to avoid becoming "a colony of the Third World".

Associate Professor Fraser, originally from Canada, believes cognitive and athletic abilities, testosterone and "impulse control" vary according to race, and "civilisations" should look after their own.

The university said yesterday it was "distancing" itself from Associate Professor Fraser's views but backed the right of academics to say what they wish in a "responsible" way.

The acting Vice-Chancellor, Professor John Loxton, said there was no place for racism at the university, but it "recognises and protects academic freedom as essential to the conduct of teaching, research and scholarship".

Advertisement
AdvertisementAfter seeing a photograph of a Sudanese child in the Parramatta Sun, Associate Professor Fraser wrote to the newspaper saying "an expanding black population is a sure-fire recipe for increases in crime, violence and a wide range of other social problems".

"The fact is that ordinary Australians are being pushed down the path to national suicide by their own political, religious and economic elites."

Associate Professor Fraser wrote in an email to a Woollahra councillor, David Shoebridge, that Chinese immigration directly threatened the "social, political and economic interests of ordinary Australians and their children".

"Look at the annual HSC results - the consequence of which is that Oz is creating a new heavily Asian managerial-professional, ruling class that will feel no hesitation … in promoting the narrow interests of their co-ethnics at the expense of white Australians."

Associate Professor Fraser told the Herald it was only the "educated middle class" who opposed his views. "I think most ordinary people would find what I'm saying more or less self-evident," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/academic-stirs-fight-over-race/2005/07/15/1121429359329.html?oneclick=true

Interview with Fraser:

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/counterpoint/stories/s1424337.htm

Radio material:

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2005/s1427546.htm

Oped/analysis piece:

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=2261

Something????

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~radnat/kangarooreich/partthirtythree.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:19 am
Thomas wrote:
. And that article doesn't seem to live anywhere online.

Obviously, Fraser has asked that ithe article be circulated to anyone "who might be interested in defending the editorial integrity of a university law review".
Thus, it's online on various neo-nazi sites as well as on some libertarian ones who "don't agrre at all but as libertarian, will always do my utmost to defeat censorship" and therefor put it on the net:

Rethinking the White Australia Policy
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:24 am
Thank you for the link, Walter! I'll write back as soon as I've read the article.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:41 am
Okay -- on reading the article, here is my initial reaction:

1) Frazer is a racist idiot. He calls his views "racial realism" multiple times, but makes no effort to demonstrate that they are grounded in reality at all.

2) His writing bored me so much I don't think it is dangerous, except if the political correctness police manages to make the author a marthyr, which they seem close to be doing.

3) University administrations shouldn't take positions on the writings of their professors. They shouldn't praise them when they approve, they shouldn't 'distance' themselves from them when they disapprove. This is not the administration's business.

Overall impression: A proto-fascist academic created a bad situation; public opinion and the university administration made it worse through their misguided decency, which prompted an attempt to enforce political correctness.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:55 am
As I understand it, all the university originally asked was that he not promulgate those views from his position as a staff academic.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:06 am
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:07 am
What does "from his position as a staff academic" mean? That he wrote the Op-Ed, or the cover letter of his journal article, on paper with his faculty letterhead? That he signed them 'Andrew Frazer, university of X professor of Y, faculty of Z'? If so, assuming that he truthfully represented his affiliations and positions, I have no problem with that beyond the idiocy of his views itself.

EDIT: This is from the ABC interview dlowan posted:
Quote:

This affirms what I said earlier. Stupid or not, Alan Fraser was speaking within the area of expertise which the university hired him to teach and do research in. So, lots of things wrong with what he wrote -- but stating his affiliation was not one of those things, however embarrassing it was for university management.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:15 am
I believe he did sign/introduce himself with his qcademic position and department etc.

Shrugs.

One of those judgment calls.

The university, as I understand it, said he was speaking outside of his academic area.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:42 am
dlowan wrote:
I believe he did sign/introduce himself with his qcademic position and department etc.

Shrugs.

One of those judgment calls.

The university, as I understand it, said he was speaking outside of his academic area.

This actually happened already in July - and was founded by a letter he wrote to his local suburban newspaper.

Quote:
The university was committed to free speech, but Prof Fraser should not have attached his title to his comments, she [= Macquarie University vice-chancellor Professor Di Yerbury] said.

"It is one matter for Drew Fraser to be able to express his views, which he is doing at every opportunity and can certainly continue to do," the vice-chancellor said.

"But (it's) another to associate the university by attaching its name and the title of one's appointment when doing so on matters outside the academic area which an academic is appointed to teach and research."
source (via cache/waybackmaschine)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:05 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
The university was committed to free speech, but Prof Fraser should not have attached his title to his comments, she [= Macquarie University vice-chancellor Professor Di Yerbury] said.

But that's not how it works. Back when Linus Pauling campaigned against McCarthy and his witchhunts, he had no qualms signing off with "Professor Linus Pauling, Chemist, California Institute of Technology". He got a lot of heat for that campaign, but nobody ever told him he shouldn't state his function and affiliation. Neither did any of the 10,000 odd other scientists who ended up signing his petitions.

In case it needs saying, the point here is not that Fraser's stature is in any way comparable to Pauling's. It is utterly obvious that it isn't. The point is that as a rule, scientists are never presumed to be speaking for their respective universities. It is simply presumptuous for a university administration to pretend otherwise, and to impose a speech code who can say what on its behalf. By straying off this rule, all the university accomplished in this case was turn a nutcase into an academic freedom case, which was unnecessary, silly, and much more than Fraser deserved.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:09 am
Thomas wrote:

But that's not how it works.

Well, I don't know the Australian civil service law at all, so you surely can be correct.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:18 am
I don't know Australian service law either. All I know is that in my own little academic world, it is common practice -- internationally -- to state ones affiliation when speaking in public. This is true whether one submits an academic paper, an Op-Ed, or a letter to the editor. This is the first time I have ever seen a university presume that its academics need the administration's permission before they can state their affiliation. I would find it proper and unsurprising if the university issued a press release reminding the public that its academics don't speak for the university. But to tell a professor to stop using his e-mail signature when writing letters to the editor -- that's presumptuous.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:39 pm
Yeah, certainly raised a huge debate here about academic freedom.

Sigh, it's going here, anyway, as tenure is eroded and everyone is on contracts.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 02:28 am
goodfielder wrote:
He's at Macquarie apparently.

This guy got BOOTED out of my uni already

so good riddens!!!
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 02:34 am
pragmatic wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
So the university has been exposed as corporatist; academic freedom of expression is seen to be limited by what the university believes is in its interests and Fraser is laughing all the way to the bank. The only winner out of this is Fraser and I must say, I find that very ironic.

I agree - the university seems to be condemened (possibly theoretically) for really firing a man whose views that possibily the majority of australians do not agree with, but because of his status as an academic - its the issue of academic freedom now seems to be at "danger." The whole situation is really ironic - to the disadvantage of the university. They seem to be at a dead end - damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Mind you, my uni, MAcquarie's student population is 80% Yellow, 10% white, and 10% the rest. So I dont think it would be such a good idea for this professor to be walking around campus looking smug with himself Laughing It just wouldnt be ......safe
0 Replies

DDT1988UK

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 12:28 pm
I must admit that the guy has a point there i mean UK has gon to the dogs there are several citys in the UK that are practically only blacks and asians hardly any speak English have no education live like leaches off the benifits system, claim to be be dissabled so get even more benifits, but miraculasly are able to drive taxies. They walk around in there rags looking a mess if they want to dress like that then they should have stayed where they were because when u want to move to another country you are suposed to fit in. I am of Polish back ground neither I or any of my family walk around wearing tradiotional clothing, also i dont go about talking in my oun language. I have proof that this is happening in sevral citys around the UK for example Leicester, Birmingham and Bradford where my grandma is the ONLY WHITE PERSON ON THE WHOLE ESTATE!!!!! the whole immigration thing is out of contol in the UK. We are an island with no borders.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 12:44 pm
Welcome, DDT_1988_UK!

I've said before (which you can't know, since you only just joined here) to such critics: I would advise to read books about the British/English history, like e.g. Peter Ackroyd's London. The Biography and comapre then situation in the 17th/18th with the actual one nowadays.

But as said (when I could it right, since your syntax and grammar is different from what I've learnt) some
Quote:
hardly any speak English have no education
0 Replies

DDT1988UK

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 04:23 am
Just so that u know guys im not being racist but its just too much, England isnt English anymore!
0 Replies