Whites are now the MINORITY?

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:22 am
Could it be seen as hate seech - which we now seem to have a lot of folk saying ought to be banned, or some degrees of it ought to be, for Muslims?

Hard decisions, indeed....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:46 am
I have commented myself, but will still take it up. Mostly because he chose to do so in my local paper, so it's personal now!!

The contention is that folk who aren't 'white' shouldn't be permitted to migrate to Australia. His comments seem to have been stirred by the taking out of citizenship by people who have arrived here from the Sudan. When he says 'black' he can only mean these people. They are very black-skinned... suprise, Andrew - they're f*cking AFRICANS!! Like what did he think THEY WERE GUNNA BE! Purple?!

He also seems to be targeting Asians. A very strange 'British' view seems to be that people from India and Pakistan and Bangladesh and even Iran/Iraq are 'Asians'. I have no idea why anyone would think that - to me (at least) 'Asians' are people from China and Japan, Korea and the people to the Sth-East (Vietnam, etc). Maybe the Tibetans.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:51 am
The story has been reported on ABC but really in the context of academic free speech. As you have pointed out elsewhere Mr S that may not be the case for Fraser as he is commenting outside of his discipline so the university may well be able to defend itself on that basis. I hasten to add that last comment isn't some sort of shot against the university, I realise it has its own rules for its staff. But I think his comments have passed over, I'm not reading/hearing any popular defence of his comments - perhaps his right to comment - but not the substance of them. I don't count comments from extremist nutters.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:53 am
Lost me there. If all those folk (including India/Bangladesh/Pakistan) are 'Asians' well, that covers more than half of the population of the planet!!

Some of those 'Asians' actually live in the Caucasian Mountain chain! They have to be the real Caucasians, because our ancestors haven't been within cooee of that part of the world since the last major Ice-age. In fact the original and true inhabitants of Europe were Homo neanderthalis - futher away from our real family tree than the !Kung Bushman of the Kalahari!!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:02 am
We have done the DNA work - we have actually mapped our genetic history. There is no practical difference between one modern human being and another human being apart from the odd ideas that we choose to have about each other.

It was found that there are possibly good reasons to class highland and lowland gorillas a separate species of Pan. That is a genuine case of two different 'races' of one great ape.

Did one of them take the time to write about this to a newspaper? Or start a political party espousing the 'superiority' of high- (or low-) land gorilla-dom? They probably made a bed of leaves and went to sleep thinking, 'Jeez, whaddya know? Ain't science interesting?'.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:40 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
He also seems to be targeting Asians. A very strange 'British' view seems to be that people from India and Pakistan and Bangladesh and even Iran/Iraq are 'Asians'. I have no idea why anyone would think that - to me (at least) 'Asians' are people from China and Japan, Korea and the people to the Sth-East (Vietnam, etc). Maybe the Tibetans.

Definetly the Tibetans and the Monglians and yes Indians are Asians actually. But Iran and Iraq? I have doubts over that... Confused
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:06 am
pragmatic I have heard what North Americans and Europeans call the Middle East (well it's what I call it as well, food for thought no doubt) sometimes called "East Asia" or "Far East Asia". I first heard one of my lecturers use that form of reference some years ago so it's not a recent phenomenon.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:09 am
An educated American saying "the middle east" refers to southwest Asia, west of the Oxus River. To an educated American, there is little to choose between east Asia and the far east, but i've never known an American to use an expression "far east asia." I am always mystified by Australians referring to Japan as being in southeast Asia, as it is clearly north of the equator.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:17 pm
pragmatic wrote:
Here's a PS: SBS world news Australia reported yesterday that macquarie University where Prof Fraser works has requested that he move his retirement plans forward - I think he was intending to retire next year July and now he is retiring at the end of this year? Or this month? The news seemed to indicate that he was accepting the offer.

I wonder if he saved up for his retirement? or is he on a pension benefit from now on, paid to him from the taxes of all the hardworking no nonsense Australians?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:56 pm
Setanta wrote:
An educated American saying "the middle east" refers to southwest Asia, west of the Oxus River. To an educated American, there is little to choose between east Asia and the far east, but i've never known an American to use an expression "far east asia." I am always mystified by Australians referring to Japan as being in southeast Asia, as it is clearly north of the equator.

I have slapped myself around since waking this morning realising that I had typed "east" when I meant "west". I have since studied a map of the world (Mercator projection) and noted that east is on my right and west is on my left.

I have also noted that in the Mercator projection Australia is NOT supposed to be at the TOP of the map.

Now it makes more sense. My lecturer referred to the "Middle East" as "West Asia". She also referred to Japan as being "North Asia".

As Oscar Wilde would never have said, "I have nothing to declare but my stupidity." Embarrassed
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:37 am
I can't refer to people from the Middle-East or Northern India (the Sikhs) as 'not-Caucasian'! Some people can quite easily lump together about a billion other human beings and happily do so.... crazy stuff.

You may all wonder why I seem to have this bug up my ass on this one. Either that or you just assume I'm as hammered as ever..... close bet.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:48 am
My ancestry is purely European. Both of my parents left there in the late 1950's and independantly settled in Australia, then met and married here. This is hardly a unique story in a nation where better than 98% of the population are the descendants of migrants who settled here a little over two hundred years ago. The indigenous fraction may have arrived very soon after modern Homo left Africa - there hasn't been an uppermost limit to that found yet.

Having visited my relatives in Europe and found the whole experience very rewarding I've a little bit of interest in the histories of those peoples. Especially that of my father's side - the origins of Hungarians is in the fairly restless movement of a Eurasian people from close to Siberia to near modern Volgagrad (Stalingrad) and thence to either the fertile plains of modern Hungary or places like Finland or Estonia (they are the same people!).

The Magyars were the last wave of people who settled in Europe. To all intents and purposes they have been 'acclimitised' and counted amongst that great band of people that form modern Europe. Or do they??
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:52 am
In the minds of some folk they are a little 'suspect'. When I was doing some idle research on the historical origins of my own 'ancestors' I found that.. well... you can't please everyone...

Quote:
MARCH OF THE TITANS - A HISTORY OF THE WHITE RACE

Chapter 39 : The Doomed Empire: Austria and Hungary

Otto I (912-973 AD), the founder of Austria: He defeated the non-White Asiatic Magyar invasion at the Battle of Lechfeld in 955 AD...

white-history.com (there are more in the same vein)
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 05:03 am
I was not offended.... far from it. It was even liberating!!

Can you imagine it? Me - an obviously Causcasian person with all the skills and attitudes of a modern British-type person, with a blue-eyed, blond-haired sister and everything else - was the mad, bad, slanty-eyed product of the sinister Asian attack on the values and very lives of white folks that spanned 11 centuries!!!

I'm not even WHITE!! The actual fact that I would stick out like a... watermelon in a container of grapes, when compared with my fellow Asians (!) didn't cross the mind of the idiot who wrote that dreck!

For a while, it was with me.. 'Yassuh, you can't understands whats its like for us colored folk heah!". I finally reached the conclusion that there are people who will argue that black IS white and vice-versa if it manages to make their view of the world 'work'.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 05:10 am
Little we can do about it - people's private views won't change without a serious re-adjustment of their inner self.

Assoc-prof Andrew will probably go down in his own mind as a 'hero' and a fighter for 'his people' - they'll be enough support to keep that idea going in him. Sadly, he'll never quite make that leap that lets us see ourselves as only uniquely, and profoundly, 'human'. We are the most amazing creatures in the history of the Universe - but we still have some way to go.

Mr 'Just call me Attila' Stillwater
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:07 am
Fraser struck me as being a bit of sad character. Probably more than a little self-loathing there.

Mr S. When I travelled through Hungary in 1982 and spent a few days in Budapest and stood in the middle of Heroes Square listening to the tour guide (local authority) telling us all about the origins of her people she sounded pretty bloody chuffed to me Very Happy And the Fisherman's Bastion story was pretty neat too given I was staying at the Hilton right at the Bastion.

Nope, Fraser is to be more pitied than despised.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 08:50 pm
News flash - watched SBS World news Australia - it turns out that the Prof has rejected the University Offer to bring forward his retirment payment and he accused the university of being an academic dictatorship! Goodfielder your prediction was correct about academic freedom issues. Then again it was foreseen.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 03:39 am
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-fukkit! Possibly what he was planning from Day One!

I will reiterate my statements to workmates who are even more qualified than me:

Quote:
"There's nothing worse than an EDUCATED BIGOT!!"
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 03:50 am
Just a slight digression but I have to post this.

Visit defuses race tensions
By David Murray and Jessica Lawrence
31-07-2005
A FEDERAL Government Minister has visited Toowoomba in a bid to defuse simmering racial tension in the city.

Multicultural Affairs Minister John Cobb's visit follows the circulation of racist material in the city, home to 750 Sudanese refugees.
Toowoomba's leaders are furious that the actions of a few have tarnished the city's refugee success story.

NSW National Mr Cobb blasted "idiot" right-wing extremists who claim to be on a recruitment drive in Queensland, saying it was them - not the Sudanese refugees - who were not welcome.

He told a public meeting of 100 people, including Mayor Di Thorley and Sudanese refugees, the rest of the community did not share the extremists' views.

"Perhaps they need to have a hard look as to whether they are in the right country. Perhaps they should go somewhere else," Mr Cobb said.

"Australia is not behind them - they are on their own.

"There are a few spots in Australia that have made an enormous effort to help humanitarian migrants and Toowoomba is one of them."

The Sunday Mail has confirmed the source of the race hate material is a man who says he is from the Darling Downs town of Crows Nest and uses the internet alias Stug111 - a name taken from a World War II German tank.

The material urged people to contact the White Pride Coalition and included a pamphlet describing white women as an "endangered species".

Online, the man has been far more vitriolic, singling out Sudanese refugees and those who welcome them.

"When the muds they sponsor to come and live here start to rape, rob, murder there grandchildren, maybe they will wake up," he wrote in a mis-spelled message. "I will not stop until our country is free again and our children will be able to play freely like we once did."

He also admits online to distributing material attacking multiculturalism around Toowoomba and on other occasions targets gays, uses the name of an SS officer, and says the US Central Intelligence Agency was behind the September 11 terror attacks.

White Pride Coalition co-founder Terry Davis said the material the man distributed was part of a "recruitment drive" aimed at marshalling forces against multiculturalism.

"I view multiculturalism as an imposed death sentence," he said.

Anti-racism watchdog Fight Dem Back says there are "no more than 20" White Pride Coalition members in Queensland.

They "are the main gang to worry about and if our sources of information are to be believed, there are a couple of Ku Klux Klan groups operating as well," said campaigner Mathew Henderson-Hau.

Sudanese refugee Albino Chol says they are unfazed by the actions of the extremists: "Despite the fact one can experience certain pockets of problems here and there we don't feel we are being discriminated.

"Toowoomba is our home and we are happy here."

Abraham Mabior, a university student who has been in Australia for three years, said extreme right-wing views were "not representing the Australian community".

Helping to counter any perceptions of racism in the city are operations such as the Toowoomba Refugee and Migrant Centre, which has 60 volunteers helping the area's newest residents with everything from language lessons to understanding phone bills.

"Toowoomba is a refugee-friendly place," said one centre official.

"Considering the history of Toowoomba almost being monocultural, the acceptance of people into this town and the way they've been integrated into society has been a good, positive story."

Councillor Lyle Shelton said refugees and migrants had been "welcomed overwhelmingly".

The first two Sudanese families moved to Toowoomba about seven years ago and there are now 750 refugees in the area.

"I'm very distressed on how it reflects on Toowoomba," Cr Shelton said.

"It's probably two blokes in their pyjamas with a website and they are making us look like some remnant of the Ku Klux Klan. This city has a wonderful record of opening its arms to people from other nations."

Police Minister Judy Spence encouraged anyone who experienced race-related violence to come forward. "Race crimes will not be tolerated," she said.

"It's probably two blokes in their pyjamas with a website and they are making us look like some remnant of the Ku Klux Klan."

I cracked up Laughing Well said Councillor, probably a couple of blokes we'll call B1 and B2 - B for Bigot.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:00 pm
So white pride is still on the go. Its just like the 60s in the US again, but of course not so violent or extreme. The above article (thanks goodfielder by the way) reminds me of the thread by Reyn regarding the missisipi killings again back in the 60s. The KKK but this time instead of all people black, its all people not white.
0 Replies