Assessing Quadradic Data

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 04:05 am
I have a set of data that fits nicely to a quadratic equation

Since the factors of a quadradic equation can be interpreted as Acceleration + Velocity + Location, I can characterize this data as containing an acceleration component. But this non-linear aspect of the data makes the use of average (and thus standard deviation and other tools that depend on average) of questionable merit.

What is the best practice for examining the spread of quadradic data?

View best answer, chosen by AngleWyrm10
engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 05:51 am
@AngleWyrm10,
Not sure what you are trying to do but I disagree that the usual tools don't work well. If you have a fit to your data, then you have the errors to the fit (the residuals) and you can analyze them to determine what you need to know.
AngleWyrm10

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 08:53 am
@engineer,
I didn't say "usual tools" I said tools that depend on average.

The residuals is what I needed, thanks.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 08:58 am
@AngleWyrm10,
Quote:
... the factors of a quadratic equation can be interpreted as Acceleration +Velocity + Location

This statement is mathematically incorrect. There is a list of functions you learn in Physics that give you the location (or acceleration, or velocity) of an objection undergoing constant acceleration. These equations are often used to calculate the trajectory of an object shot in Earth (which near the surface is very near a constant acceleration).

You may be thinking about the function d(t) = V0t + 0.5at^2

In this function acceleration and velocity are values. They are not factors. The factors will give you the two times where D = 0... that is something different altogether.

We are going to know the specific quadratic equation you have in mind to say anything more intelligent about it.
AngleWyrm10

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 02:59 pm
@maxdancona,
https://study.com/academy/lesson/applying-quadratic-functions-to-motion-under-gravity-simple-optimization-problems.html
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 04:30 pm
I think this whole thread is spam to sell a website. I reported it to have think link removed.

The question never made much sense since acceleration and velocity bare not factors is a quadratic equation.
AngleWyrm10

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2021 02:25 pm
@maxdancona,
https://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/py105/ConstantA.html
maxdancona

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2021 08:58 am
@AngleWyrm10,
That website is correct. Your claim that acceleration and velocity are factors of a quadratic equation is still nonsense.

If you actually wanted to learn, I was a Physics teacher and could actually help you understand, and I would be happy to clarify things for you. I think you are just here to sell something.
AngleWyrm10

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 02:53 pm
@maxdancona,
If the interpretation of quadratic equations as Acceleration + Velocity + Location is new to you, discuss it with your teacher.

The interpretation is also extended to cubic polynomials where ax^3 + bx^2 + cX + d is
Jerk + Acceleration + Velocity + Location
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 09:18 pm
@AngleWyrm10,
1. The plus sign has a meaning in mathematics. You are using it to mean "and" in a way that is mathematically incorrect.

2. I think you are making some point about the terms of a polynomial. The function for distance given constant accelaration is d(t) = 0.5at^2 + V0t . Sure in this case one term has acceleration as a constant and the initial velocity as a constant.

3. It is pretty clear you don't know what you are talking about. If you, in addition to using mathematical terminology correctly you would be talking about derivatives rather than factors or coefficients.

4. I am the teacher. What you are saying is nonsense. I think you are here to sell something.

0 Replies