Video games - yes or no?

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:40 am
Once again someone has recommended that I get Mo (4.5 years old) a Game Boy.

Up to now, I've really avoided any kind of electronic toy but he's been given some as gifts. They all sit unused or they are used in ways unintended.

What are your thoughts on kids and video games?

Are there any games that you would recommend?

I appreciate your input!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,058 • Replies: 25
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:51 am
I bought a gameboy for little Jane when we flew to Europe
and she needed to sit in the plane for long hours, and it helped.
After the trip, I took the gameboy in my possession again,
and Jane will get it back when we're traveling or getting on
longer car rides. Other than that, she has do do without it.

Dto. for computer games - we've had "Reader Rabbit"
educational games when she was little and that was it. Today
she doesn't even ask for any video/dvd/computer games,
because she never was really introduced to them at length.

Naturally I hope her disinterest for these sort of games continues .....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:57 am
Mo's the same way - having not really been exposed to them he shows very little interest in them.

What you say about the long flight is interesting - the argument I keep hearing is that they can help increase attention span.

I have my doubts as to whether this is the right way to increase attention span though - with all the bells and whistles and blips, etc.

I'm coming at this from a very preconcieved notion. I know how addictive these games can be in a very been there, done that, lost time sort of way.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:12 pm
Same for me. The only computer game we have is Reader Rabbit. Now with my 6 year old she is allowed limited time on the computer for certain websites - basically PBS, Disney and Nick Jr.

Although the game boy for a car or plane trip sounds like a good idea. It also sounds good to make it a special toy for travel only.

Increase attention span? That is the first I heard of that. Sounds like some one is trying to push the envelope on that one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:33 pm
Yeah.

I'm generally more towards moderation than outlawing, but I'm happy to let sozlet's disinterest extend longer. I also let her play on PBS and Nick Jr, but rarely -- maybe 1-2 times a month on average. That's about how often she asks.

I don't buy the attention span thing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 01:37 pm
Interesting. Everyone here seems to be on the same page with this.

I think the fact that children will play the games for long periods of time give rise to the attention span argument.

And I can see the point of that. It makes sense in a way even though it is contrary to what I have always thought.

I've been doing some research and while most studies show negative impact there are quite a few that show positive impact -- especially with puzzle games like Tetris.

NASA has been doing some research on this that it pretty interesting.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 01:39 pm
The brain waves we are monitoring do not have a great deal to do with their game playing," said Mr Pope, "The game is just a way to deliver the incentive."

Because children are happy to play computer games the treatment is proving popular and effective, said Mr Pope. The lengthening of attention span and calming effect of playing the game persists long after the treatment is finished, he said.

The biofeedback treatment can also help over-stressed adults cope with the pace of their lives. A game player might be fighting tense battles on a computer screen, but inwardly the therapy could help calm them.

"It could be a very stressful game and you could learn how to remain calm, cool and collected," said Mr Pope.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/894673.stm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 01:44 pm
Huh.

What I keep wondering is "opposed to what?" Spending 20 minutes making an intricate structure out of twigs outside would seem to be to serve many of the same purposes.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 02:08 pm
Good question, soz, "opposed to what".

It has been interesting reading though. Most of the negative studies yammer on about violence in the games without really going into any other kind of game.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 05:44 pm
I have to chime in and say we avoided the Gameboy issue until the wee Blaise was eight or so. The increased attention span, in my opinion, is a zombie like state where you're not sure if your child is even of this planet. And, recently, young master Blaise got so upset with his game he hit it with his fist and now he no longer has a Gameboy.

I reckon there's always plenty of time to let the Genie out of the bottle and, according to my mother anyway, I turned out alright sans a Gameboy.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 06:08 pm
Hmmm.

I could do with a little zombie time.

<just kidding, just kidding>

I tend to go a bit zombie when I'm playing a video game so I know exactly what you mean -- and I'm 44.

There is a bit of angst over the genie bottle. Sometimes I worry that Mo might be behind the curve and other times I'm like, **** the curve.

I don't want him to be little Mr. Luddite and I do wonder if it wouldn't be better to introduce him to such things on my terms rather than wait for the attack of the indulged kindergarteners and he starts demanding a cel phone or a PDA or some such nonsense.
0 Replies

SneakyBeaky

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:11 pm
I can't say I have much parenting experience (only being alive for 15 years will do that to ya) but I can say that I was raised on computer games and a little bit of video games.

And when I say raised, I don't mean my parents stuck my sister and I in front of a computer screen to keep us busy; it was a privilege just like watching T.V. or a movie. I mean it in a sense that...a lot of the stuff has stuck with me, it's a cherished memory I have of childhood.

The games weren't always like reader rabbit or whatnot, but they were fun, something to get excited about and be exceptionally proud of winning. Games included Kings Quest VI, Putt Putt, Commander Keen, Shuffle Puck Cafe, etc.

Sometimes it was a family event, watching each other play, sometimes it was just a sister bonding time. On rainy days, epic role playing games, such as King's Quest, felt like we were acting out a story in an entirely different world, much like reading a book, but still a different experience. Also, there were tons of logic puzzles to solve, always an on going adventure.

I don't think it's a horrible idea to introduce young children to computers, but I also don't think it's a horrible idea not to introduce young children to computers. It depends on what they're being used for, how long, and all that. Computers aren't babysitters, they're tools for expanding knowledge, learning new skills, and for having a good time.

I think my early introduction to computers has helped in some ways; it was a lot easier for me to learn new computer skills when I was younger than a lot of my peers; I was just comfortable with the machines.

But all children are different, obviously. I guess what I'm trying to say (but still haven't yet) is that I grew up playing computer games, and for the most part, I've turned out fine. While most games weren't that violent, some were- I'm pretty docile. My sister is pretty harmless, too. I think it might have also added to my independence; I learned how to solve problems on my own, figure out and understand rules, and learned to live by the worn out phrase, "if at first you don't succeed..."

I think that exposure is only harmful if you allow it to be. Allowing a child to eat only desserts is not healthy, but a treat every now and again can be an enjoyable event, even a bonding experience. Jeez. So many decisions to face when being a parent. How did(and does) my father ever survive?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:33 pm
Hi SneakyBeaky and welcome to A2K!

I'd say your father not only survived but flourished as a parent.

Are you really only 15!?

Thank you for your input. I was really hoping to hear from someone like you.

A lot of the things I read today talked about problem solving skills but that bit about understanding rules and try, try again is new to me.

Very intersesting and helpful advice -- I thank you very much.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:23 am
SneakyBeaky--

Excellent post. Welcome to A2K.

Boomer--

I've been reading lately about the MRI-proven virtues of video games. Keep in mind, my information is second hand. I can't distinguish between a Game Boy and a Play Station.

From July, 2005 Discover:

Quote:

From my own experience, I've heard of an ADD kid who was taken off Ritilan after the psychiatrist found out that he could concentrate for more than an hour on a video game.

In themselves Video Games don't cause overweight kids or violent kids or highly-introverted, friendless kids. The Ancient Greeks' thoughts about Moderation in All Things are still valid.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:39 am
Cool article.

I do adore Tetris.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:58 am
Fascinating, Noddy!

Thank you very much.

These studys are coming to similar conclusions that people I know have observed in their own homes, with their own kids.

I had such a bias against games for Mo from all the things I'd read that it just didn't seem possible that the reverse could be true. When I started poking around it was really eye opening.

The articles you found were better than any that I'd found!

I think I'll pick up a game and set limits on it's use and see what happens.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:43 pm
I have a feeling that much of the criticism of video gaming is from old-fashioned sorts--like myself--that feel children should read-read-read and that "games" of any sort are frivolous.

Slowly, slowly I'm becoming educated--and converted.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 02:08 pm
I'm sort of like that too, Noddy.

We do read every day -- usually the same book we read the day before, and the day before that.

Mo has a huge collection of books but he likes the same stories over and over. He likes our made up stories even better than the book stories. Maybe I should write some down so that he can read them.

I called the used game store near our house and they have Game Boys, used, for $40 and used games starting at $10, which is a lot better than the $80 I thought I'd have to spend on the player and then have to still buy games at $30 or so a pop.

Fifty bucks seems like a reasonable price for experiementation.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 02:24 pm
My objection is more in terms of the whole inside in front of electronic media rather than outside exploring and playing thing. Of the movement towards nicely coralled and safe kids as opposed to free-range, somewhat risky existences. (Actual risk, as opposed to virtual risk.)

I worry about them replacing valuable aspects of real life -- the same "as opposed to what?" question I asked before.

I don't necessarily oppose as a general concept. I guess it's kind of like the idea of organized sports. I have nothing in particular against organized sports, but I see them as a centerpiece of a lifestyle I object to a great deal. The soccer mom in the minivan chauffeuring her kids hither and yon to various scheduled events, while the kid sits strapped down in the back seat and plays his Gameboy. The general over-scheduled, denatured stuff.

TV is just as bad or worse in all of that, though, and I let sozlet watch TV, so...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 02:41 pm
I have an adorable pic of youngest cub asleep on the computer keyboard at 2 1/2. He had insisted on playing some Kookoo's Zoo before nap cause he was in the middle of a zoo path. Five minutes later he was causing the keyboard to squeel, which he slept right through.

We started on the Reader Rabbit series and he had completed through grade 4 by the time he was in second grade. I won't give all the credit to computer "games," since he also loved playing outside and being in the kitchen with me, but I'm sure it helped in giving a fun way to learn concepts not covered in basic 4 year old living.

The problem I had was that suddenly the kids were on MY computer! Sorta one of those "be careful what you wish for" things.

Mo sounds so much like little cub, with his curiosity, energy and need to explore. (sometimes without thinking of the outcome) Maybe something like the Reader Rabbit series would be a good challenge for him.

Certainly the computer learning programs are heads above gameboy, IMO.
0 Replies