Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 809 • Replies: 16
No top replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:21 pm
gee, that's just wonderful.

Quote:
New post-downturn U.S. jobs to pay less - report
Reuters, 11.10.03, 4:59 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. economic rebound will create lower-paying jobs than the 3 million positions lost since the U.S. economy turned sluggish about three years ago, a new report prepared for the nation's mayors said on Monday.

The report by Global Insight, an economic analysis firm, forecast the average wage of new jobs expected to be created during 2004 and 2005 at $35,855. That compared to an average annual wage of $43,629 for jobs lost between 2001 and 2003.

"We are pleased that the economy is recovering, but we have to look at long-term strategies to produce and keep higher wage jobs," U.S. Conference of Mayors President James Garner, Mayor of Hempstead, New York, said in a statement.

forbes.com/work
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:37 pm
Lies, damn-lies, and statistics.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:44 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Lies, damn-lies, and statistics.

Laughing
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:51 pm
Bush isn't the problem or the cure. We need to end the free trade experiment and bring back higher paying manufacturing jobs as well as the white collar jobs they assured us would be safe.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:38 pm
Quote:
New post-downturn U.S. jobs to pay less - report
Reuters, 11.10.03, 4:59 PM ET

So you counter an article about job creation with an article that is nearly 2 years old? And it is an article without any facts, just predictions? Couldn't find any new data so you go back 2 years for a guess. Par for the course.

Maybe some of the conservatives here would concede the point you are trying to make if you somehow had some type of recent stats to back you up. Although, in my opinion, even jobs created with an average annual salary of $35,000 (per your article) would not be anything to scoff at. But y'all will do anything to try to make good economic news look bad as long as Bush is in the WH.

I understand. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 06:29 pm
You noticed that jobs were all the news before the election and after election was won nothing more was said. It appears that jobs have grown as well and a lowering of the deficit. That hasn't really made the news either.

You can bet if jobs were down and the deficit was worse then it would be all over the news. Yet that isn't the case. Good news for the country is bad news for the left. The trend continues.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 06:38 pm
WE go from 0 deficit to record deficit, then you guys get excited if it goes down a little.
0 Replies

thefederalistusa

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 07:41 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
WE go from 0 deficit to record deficit, then you guys get excited if it goes down a little.

What caused the record deficits? The war. What caused the war? Could if have been eight years of a former President that cut and ran from Mogadishu (emboldening our enemy), allowed the WTC to be bombed & called it a crime (not an attack), allowed two U.S. embassies to be bombed (no real response against the enemy), watched the U.S.S. Cole almost sink while his intern was busy in his office (what decisive military response did our enemy receive?)? This lack of Presidential willpower to strike back & cripple our enemy encouraged them to deliver a massive strike against the W.T.C on 911. Our current President, in office for only 9 months had to suddenly attack and prosecute a war against our enemies that was years in the making. You may believe Bush is nuts, I believe he is killing our enemies in Baghdad. You are welcome to respond with what this has cost us in dollars. My response as a veteran of the 82nd Airborne division & only by God's Grace I am not one of those kids getting shot at is "American Freedom isn't free, it always has & will always be paid for in blood, American blood" I am not alone in this belief - we have Airmen, Marines, Sailors & Soldiers on active duty, in the line of fire, that believe it to.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 07:48 pm
God, I like this guy.

<warms up kazoo...marches around room, throws confetti>

We've needed a bit of new blood around here.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 08:46 pm
thefederalistusa wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

What caused the record deficits? The war. What caused the war? Could if have been eight years of a former President that cut and ran from Mogadishu (emboldening our enemy), allowed the WTC to be bombed & called it a crime (not an attack), allowed two U.S. embassies to be bombed (no real response against the enemy), watched the U.S.S. Cole almost sink while his intern was busy in his office (what decisive military response did our enemy receive?)? This lack of Presidential willpower to strike back & cripple our enemy encouraged them to deliver a massive strike against the W.T.C on 911. Our current President, in office for only 9 months had to suddenly attack and prosecute a war against our enemies that was years in the making. You may believe Bush is nuts, I believe he is killing our enemies in Baghdad. You are welcome to respond with what this has cost us in dollars. My response as a veteran of the 82nd Airborne division & only by God's Grace I am not one of those kids getting shot at is "American Freedom isn't free, it always has & will always be paid for in blood, American blood" I am not alone in this belief - we have Airmen, Marines, Sailors & Soldiers on active duty, in the line of fire, that believe it to.

Don't forget that we also had to rebuild a workable military after 8 years of cuts and troop reductions.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 08:59 pm
Private employment has decreased significantly under Bush according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. After private employment (seasonally adjusted) peaked at 111,680,000 in December 2000, it dropped to 108,250,000 in mid-2003. The 3.4 million jobs lost was the largest ever (since records begin in 1939), and the percentage drop was the largest since 1981-1983.

The employment level remained below the pre-Bush level until June 2005 when it reached 111,783,000 (preliminary). Considering population growth, that still represents a 4.6% decrease in employment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 09:10 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Private employment has decreased significantly under Bush according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. After private employment (seasonally adjusted) peaked at 111,680,000 in December 2000, it dropped to 108,250,000 in mid-2003. The 3.4 million jobs lost was the largest ever (since records begin in 1939), and the percentage drop was the largest since 1981-1983.

The employment level remained below the pre-Bush level until June 2005 when it reached 111,783,000 (preliminary). Considering population growth, that still represents a 4.6% decrease in employment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush

Get rid of the illegals and we won't have such an issue will we.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 09:18 pm
looked at another way, Bureau of Labor Statistics data of total nonfarm employment in thousands shows a net decline between Feb. 2001 and Dec. 2004 from 132546 to 132449.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 09:20 pm
Yeah, that's it. Illegals are ruining Bush's record of perfection. Uh huh. Sure.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 09:31 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Yeah, that's it. Illegals are ruining Bush's record of perfection. Uh huh. Sure.

I didn't say that, but 8-10 million illegal aliens sure don't help. Taking jobs from Americas isn't a good thing. This would lower the unemployment rate even more as jobs being taken by illegals would inturn be taken by US citizens.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 11:12 pm
It occurs to me that jobs lost paying $42000--no indication how long it took the employees to get up to $42000--being replaced with entry level jobs jobs paying in the neighborhood of $35000 is very good news indeed. And if you have hundreds of thousands more people working, the economy is going to perk right along with corresponding increases in pay and benefits.

Welcome to the forum Thefederalist. Be sure to wear your flak jacket and bullet proof vest when you come in and a healthy sense of humor and a good bullshit meter definitely helps. If you don't let the.....what's an adjective that won't get me TOS'd?......members get to you, you can have a lot of fun here and can make a lot of friends.
0 Replies