What advice can you give about budgeting my time and juggling more than one project at once?

Fri 23 Apr, 2021 01:05 am
Hi. I bought a transcription headset and foot pedal so I can do transcription work from home. I want to work as a work-from-home transcriptionist but I need to train myself how to do that first.

I want to learn how to voice act professionally for cartoons I want to produce. I signed up for an online voice over training program. I want to learn how to voice act professionally for cartoons I want to produce. I signed up for an online voice over training program. I want to publish and monetize my own animated cartoons and comics online.

I want to teach myself how to use Flash, Quark Express, Illustrator and Photoshop - four different art programs - through an online learning system called The Metrix Learning System. This is a FREE system provided to me through my local employment center. I am going to teach myself how to use these art programs for FREE, so I can produce my own animation and comics. I need to get the okay from the head of my local employment center to use the system and explain to him WHY I want to learn these art programs. However with the learning system there is an allotted time for which I can learn the software between the time I log in and log out of the system.

I still want to learn how to use Adobe Flash even though online support for it officially ended.

What advice can you give about budgeting my time and juggling all these projects at the same time? Please let me know. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,687 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Fri 23 Apr, 2021 04:59 am
@JGoldman10,
Start with what will make you money or make you healthy now. These should be your priorities anyway, just after human relationships.

You won't be able to improve your future if you don't take of business (and yourself) now.

Hence I would start with transcription, and it should dominate your time. Learning all the other stuff is extra right now, so either put it off or don't devote more than maybe an hour a day to it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 23 Apr, 2021 07:57 am
@JGoldman10,
I have a job where I have several projects going on at the same time. What I do is make a list (this would include the tasks to accomplish each project) - then you prioritize them. Priority is based on several things - when it is due, importance, and so forth. You also need to know about how much time it takes - you might also want to consider things like how long you could focus on a task meaning if it will take you 20 hours of training - you are not going to sit 20 hours straight, but how long can you realistically sit and train before you are no longer absorbing the material. So you would break it up in 4 hour settings. A break and then maybe do a little of one of the other projects just so it isn't so overwhelming.

So say in your case - you have WFH transcript, Voicing, art program. So within each have a list of the task needed

Transcript - training program say 20 hours high priority because you need money and won't get any without going through this.

Vocing - training 30 hours - medium because you paid for the program and more likely to earn money from it over art program

Art program - low training 40 hours - low because currently no financial interest, and lowest opportunity for money.

So for the week - you do a schedule

Transcript training: M, T, W, Th, F say 8-12 each day - then your training is done and you can start working the following week. You split it up it is not overwhelming and more likely to learn/retain and you can see the finish line.
Voicing training: M, T, W, Th, F say 1-5 each day - maybe this more fun for you and you are working toward a longer term goal.

You have an hour for lunch and then the evenings free. You could add in the art program for an hour or so at night if you want or a couple of hours on the weekend.

But you focus most of your time on the most important project while allowing a little more time for something longer term. Obviously you need to know what is more important to you but I suggest the shorter term goal (actually getting money) you spend more time on - I suspect the latter two items are more "fun" for you and are more longer term - so I would smatter less hours and focus on them, but still add them in to your day.

0 Replies