Iraq Contra? Were Iraq Elections Free and Fair?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:40 pm
No, I DO care if they move from a dictatorship to a democracy.

I just don't think what we're doing right now has anything to do with that.

Think of it as growing up. You can give a 16-year old a flash car and a ton of money, but you can't give him maturity.

This is what we are attempting to do in Iraq, essentaily: impose change upon a society.

You use Democracy as a Panacea to all of Iraq's problems without having a goddamn clue what Democracy is all about, Brandon. It is a lot more than voting. I am all for non-democratic countries to move to democracy, but I don't think it will work under force of arms.

Interesting that you say that WE don't give a f*ck about the Iraqi people, when YOU are the one who forgives killing any number of innocents as neccessary in order to win the war....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:47 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, I DO care if they move from a dictatorship to a democracy.

I just don't think what we're doing right now has anything to do with that.

Think of it as growing up. You can give a 16-year old a flash car and a ton of money, but you can't give him maturity.

This is what we are attempting to do in Iraq, essentaily: impose change upon a society.

You use Democracy as a Panacea to all of Iraq's problems without having a goddamn clue what Democracy is all about, Brandon. It is a lot more than voting. I am all for non-democratic countries to move to democracy, but I don't think it will work under force of arms.

Interesting that you say that WE don't give a f*ck about the Iraqi people, when YOU are the one who forgives killing any number of innocents as neccessary in order to win the war....

Cycloptichorn

As I said, your only sympathy for these people seems to be when it is useful as a weapon against the Republicans. I suggest that your idea that democracy cannot be given to a country by the military governors prior to their withdrawal is magical thinking. I would imagine that it is possible to do it so it works or do it so it doesn't. Obviously, there will have to be quite a few citizens who want it, but democracy is something that many people desire, rather than some product like Coca Cola that we are forcing unwilling Iraqis to buy.
0 Replies