What are a redneck's, hillbilly's and good ol' boy's preferred weapons of choice?

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 06:42 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Who cares? I have always acted old for my age.

I don't care - I actually find it kind of nice - refreshing - that part of it. The anger part towards people that are different than you or have a different opinion - don't like so much.

My older daughter, although, she does not use old terms, more of the things she values - can be a bit like that - I had one counselor at her high school say she had an "old soul".
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 06:47 am
@JGoldman10,
I am not a big fan of the Simpson's, however, I did watch the Boston episode and found it hilarious. What made it so funny was they were spot on many Boston unique stuff that really mostly Bostonians could completely appreciate the humor. Those that wrote that episode were originally from Boston- however the Simpsons have more than just one or two writers.

So yes you can write about things you are not intimate about however, the closer you are to the subject, the more personal and authentic you come across.

Who knows - it is likely for Sponage bob that some of the stuff that pertains to Sandy is written by a Texan.
Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 06:48 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

If you're not a Christian I am not your "brother". I don't care what your ethnicity and/or nationality is.

Jesus welcomed everyone.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 06:55 am
@Linkat,
That makes a nice change, I heard Brazil got very angry when they were accused of being overrun by monkeys, only for the creators to repeat the assertion in the later episode.

The episode set in London was about as wrong as you can get, but the very worst feature of all was that anyone would be fooled by Bart’s “British “ accent. It was even worse than Dick Van Dyke’s.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 07:29 am
@izzythepush,
Their New Orleans episode is fairly accurate as well, displaying local foods and restaurants.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 07:40 am
@Rebelofnj,
I’m sorry the video doesn’t play over here.

I have been to New Orleans though.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 08:23 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

That makes a nice change, I heard Brazil got very angry when they were accused of being overrun by monkeys, only for the creators to repeat the assertion in the later episode.

The episode set in London was about as wrong as you can get, but the very worst feature of all was that anyone would be fooled by Bart’s “British “ accent. It was even worse than Dick Van Dyke’s.

Exactly what I was getting at - it worked for Boston because they had people writing/input that were from Boston and personally I thought the stereotypes were pretty spot on and funny.

The accent thing - yeah is a huge problem with people trying to play Bostonian that are not. I laugh at the bad accents all the time. Really - only the Kennedy's talk that way - no everyday Bostonian does - seems like that is what actors unfamiliar with Boston try to do.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 08:31 am
@Linkat,
I can’t tell the difference between a Boston accent and a New York accent.

I can differentiate between North and South but other than the accents in Fargo, that’s about it.
Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 09:04 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I can’t tell the difference between a Boston accent and a New York accent.

I can differentiate between North and South but other than the accents in Fargo, that’s about it.

I think that is why so many actors can get away with using the Boston accent. Any Bostonian will cringe on most actors using it whereas if you are from a distance you do not notice.

They are definitely different. Even in the Boston area - you go to Revere (aka Severe) - their accent is different than say Southie vs North Shore vs South Shore. Funny my parents and a couple of my brothers have a significantly heavy "Brockton" accent whereas myself and my other brother have a very light Boston area accent which comes out on particular words - typically those involving Rs - we love to leave them out to save them to add to other words.

Even the slang is different from various areas - I think in part due to the immigrants that live in the area.

So I wonder if non-British feel that Bart did a great accent? It might be intentional too that they had him do a poor job of it.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 09:26 am
@Linkat,
I doubt it, the voice actors who play Bart and Lisa do it all the time.

Groundskeeper Willie is another one.

There are American actors who can do a good job. Denzel Washington was very good in For Queen and Country and Johnny Depp is pretty good too.

The very best is Lamorne Morris in Bloodshot. His accent fooled me, I thought he was aBritish actor I’d not heard of until I looked him up on Imdb.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 09:36 pm
@Linkat,
That's not what I meant. I am not your brother in the Lord if you are not a Christian.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2021 02:21 am
@JGoldman10,
That’s not right though, it’s only a specific type of Christianity you approve of.

The rest of us you don’t view as human.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 06:53 pm
Hillbillies stereotypically use shotguns and rednecks stereotypically use rifles. What weapons do good ol' boys stereotypically use?
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2021 01:16 am
@JGoldman10,
people do not use rifles to hunt grouse or squirrels. everyone uses all the above guns..They even use 50 cal single action pistols to hunt wild hogs.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2021 04:36 am
@Linkat,
I’m watching a Spanish programme on Netflix at the moment, you can thank the Kid’s Brazilian fiancé for that.

Anyway it’s been dubbed into English, and all the characters have American accents. I don’t have a problem with that at all apart from one character. It’s about a bank heist, and one of the characters is supposed to be the daughter of the British ambassador caught up in the raid. Not only did she have an American accent she also got place names wrong.

She talks of a gun accident she witnessed in Norwich which she pronounces as Nor (gnaw) witch as in wicked witch.

Norwich is pronounced Norridge, so it rhymes with porridge.
Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2021 09:42 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I’m watching a Spanish programme on Netflix at the moment, you can thank the Kid’s Brazilian fiancé for that.

Anyway it’s been dubbed into English, and all the characters have American accents. I don’t have a problem with that at all apart from one character. It’s about a bank heist, and one of the characters is supposed to be the daughter of the British ambassador caught up in the raid. Not only did she have an American accent she also got place names wrong.

She talks of a gun accident she witnessed in Norwich which she pronounces as Nor (gnaw) witch as in wicked witch.

Norwich is pronounced Norridge, so it rhymes with porridge.

Awesome - I love when they do try to pronounce places around the Boston area because rarely do they sound as you expect.

Try Peabody, Worchester, and yes we have a Norwich CT and it is pronounced with the witch. Wonder if this show was originally dubbed for viewing in the US maybe that is why - but yeah it is great that they did not even try - not sure which is worse - having an actor butcher the local accent or just keep it with their own speaking voice.

To me it is almost more annoying when someone tries to do the local accent and fails horribly... just rather have them do the straight (what I call no-accent) voice. That would be an American one without an accent that identifies an area of the country.

I would gather you have similar in the UK - those that have a British accent but is not from a particular area - usually talking heads speak that way.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2021 09:47 am
@Linkat,
I don’t think Peabody is a place name over here.

Worcester is pronounced exactly the same as Bertie Wooster in the PG Wodehouse books.

The hardest accent to pull off is the Geordie accent. Lots of people have failed, most notably London actor Dennis Waterman.
Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2021 09:54 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I don’t think Peabody is a place name over here.

Worcester is pronounced exactly the same as Bertie Wooster in the PG Wodehouse books.

The hardest accent to pull off is the Geordie accent. Lots of people have failed, most notably London actor Dennis Waterman.

Actually in a lot of ways - England and in particular I think London pronounces more like the Boston area (New England of course) because that is how we pronounce Worchester - Wooster (not Wor - chester) - as the rest of the country does. We also say Aunt not Ant - my local friend here says we use the "Queen's" language when we speak. I will never call a relative an Ant - she is better than insect.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2021 10:26 am
@Linkat,
Ant is more of a northern thing, as is pronouncing bath with a short a instead of barth which is how we pronounce it down South.

A lot of it can be traced back to the Danelaw when England was split up between Danes and Anglo Saxons even though it’s well over a thousand years ago the differences are still there.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 05:23 am
@Linkat,
Place names are one thing, but something quite insidious are people’s names and the names of certain Oxbridge Colleges.

We have a programme over here called Room 101. It’s a reference to Orwell’s 1984 where room 101 is where the worst thing in the world is, the thing that scares you the most.

Various Celebs are invited on to say who or what they would put in room 101. It’s basically a list of pet hates. One celeb wanted to put names that don’t match their spellings in. The reason being it’s a class thing, these people and places are rich people and places they go. They all know how these names should be pronounced which makes it easier to spot Working Class oiks like me.

Here is a prime example Magdalen College at Oxford University does not have the same pronunciation as Jesus’s companion Mary despite having the same spelling, it’s pronounced Maudlin’.
0 Replies