What are a redneck's, hillbilly's and good ol' boy's preferred weapons of choice?

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2021 10:48 pm
@farmerman,
You're a ruralite so let me ask you:

Are rural American entertainers like Buddy Hackett, Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable Guy and the Blue Collar comedy troupe, and Ray Stevens offensive to you?

Were shows like Hee Haw, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Andy Griffith Show, Mama's Family, Reba, The Jeff Foxworthy Show, The Waltons, Little House On The Prairie, Gunsmoke, Branded, Bonanza, and The Dukes of Hazzard, offensive to you?

Were movies like Cannonball Run, Cannonball 2, and The Smokey and the Bandit series offensive to you?

Were songs like Rednex's "Cotton Eye Joe" and Primus' " Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" offensive to you?

I liked these two songs. The video for "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" still sticks out in my memory:

All these entertainers and entertainment properties I referenced are all part of MAINSTREAM AMERICAN ENTERTAINMENT.

Benny Hill was a British comedian who was famous for poking fun at American entertainment. He did that a lot on his show.

Would you have been offended if he had did a sketch poking fun at rural Americans? If he did a sketch parodying Hee Haw or The Beverly Hillbillies or something like that?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2021 11:04 pm
@izzythepush,
If I just write about "what I know" that can be VERY BORING.

What do I know? Let's see - I lived in NYS most of my life. I was born and raised in the American suburbs. My family and I did a lot of moving around after I finished high school. I lived a sheltered existence most of my life. I didn't have too many friends coming up. I used to be a big math nerd/geek and cartoon nerd/geek. I liked science. I liked drawing and writing in my spare time. I know how to create character voices.

That's BORING. At least I know about Jesus.

My past work experiences aren't really worth something to write about.

I don't want to talk about my experience living with my family.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2021 11:06 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

You're a ruralite so let me ask you:

Are rural American entertainers like Buddy Hackett, Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable Guy and the Blue Collar Comedy Troupe, and Ray Stevens offensive to you?

Were shows like Hee Haw, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Andy Griffith Show, Mama's Family, Reba, The Jeff Foxworthy Show, The Waltons, Little House On The Prairie, Gunsmoke, Branded, Bonanza, and The Dukes of Hazzard, offensive to you?

Were movies like Cannonball Run, Cannonball 2, and The Smokey and the Bandit series offensive to you?

Were songs like Rednex's "Cotton Eye Joe" and Primus' " Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" offensive to you?

I liked these two songs. The video for "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" still sticks out in my memory:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg[/youtube]

All these entertainers and entertainment properties I referenced are all part of MAINSTREAM AMERICAN ENTERTAINMENT.

Benny Hill was a British comedian who was famous for poking fun at American entertainment. He did that a lot on his show.

Would you have been offended if he had did a sketch poking fun at a staple of American entertainment centered around rural Americans? If he did a sketch parodying Hee Haw or The Beverly Hillbillies or something like that?

-FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2021 11:40 pm
@izzythepush,
At least I am creative and imaginative.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 02:01 am
@JGoldman10,
I was not offended by them (I even wonder why youd ask?). I did find many of them hackneyed and trite though. Larry the Cable Guy was a one trick pony. WHENEVER a comedian has to use a patented line to draw his audience, I wonder about how smart WE ARE.

Brit Humor had some very very great practitioners, Benny Hill wasnt one of them.

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 02:13 am
@farmerman,
You're accusing me of propagating rural American stereotypes with the rural American characters I created, that's why.

Most of the characters that I created in general are caricatures of some kind.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 02:33 am
@farmerman,
I think Ray Stevens is very funny. Funny when he is not being vulgar that is. I recall seeing some of his song albums advertised on TV when I was a kid.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 02:36 am
@JGoldman10,
Different Strokes was about kids in the suburbs.

Did you find that boring?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 02:39 am
@JGoldman10,
Benny Hill was an unfunny sexist creep. They stopped showing his stuff over here in the early 80s.

Ben Elton did a brilliant parody of him on Harry Enfield. I can't post links, but I have posted it on A2K in the past. It’s on YouTube as Benny Elton.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 02:43 am
@JGoldman10,
All the shows you mention are about 30 - 40 years old, that should tell you something about their relevance.

Cotton eye Joe is about having an std test.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 02:54 am
@izzythepush,
Really? They aired his show here in the U.S. in the '80s and '90s. I remember he did some comedy special with Leslie Nielsen on American TV once during this time.

I watched The Benny Hill Show on TV with my dad and younger brother when my brother and I were kids. I know what a dirty birdie Hill was. He was disgusting.

In hindsight I am wondering why my dad would let me and my brother watch that show as kids. That was a rather raunchy comedy show.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 03:04 am
@izzythepush,
A show about two African American kids from the ghetto who were adopted by a rich white man. It was alright. At least by the end of the series the two brothers made something of themselves. I remember the younger one became a photographer. I don't remember what the older one did.

Good Times was okay. I thought the show glorified American ghetto life. At least by the end of the show the family made it out of the ghetto. J.J. became a professional artist and had a career going.

The Jeffersons was okay.

I don't remember what Webster was about, all I know off-hand was Emmanuel Lewis' character was adopted by a Polish American couple.

Are you race baiting?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 03:09 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

All the shows you mention are about 30 - 40 years old, that should tell you something about their relevance.

No, some of those shows are OLDER than 4 decades.

Shows from 3 and 4 decades ago have been getting reboots, sequels, and/or prequels.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 03:12 am
@izzythepush,
I liked Family Matters and The Cosby Show. These shows took place in the suburbs. I also liked Family Ties.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 04:00 am
It seems like there's a double standard as far as how race and/or ethnicity is represented and portrayed in entertainment. For a long time White folks got away with caricaturing and stereotyping people of color, and that's considered a bad thing now. No one seems to care when people of color do that to White people.

Why does it seem like some people are getting upset because I created some rural American cartoon characters?

A Black man wrote The Three Musketeers.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 04:05 am
@JGoldman10,
No, I’m talking about a sitcom with characters who lived in the suburbs. You claim your life is not interesting because you’re suburban, but that’s clearly not the case.

I don’t know what Webster is either, you brought it/him/her up.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 04:07 am
@JGoldman10,
And if you look at the most recent, BBC version, of the The Musketeers you’ll see that the character of Porthos is also black. When I google Porthos, his is the main image that comes up.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 04:08 am
@izzythepush,
I remember Diff'rent Strokes. I described the premise of it.

Webster is another old American sitcom. It was about an African American kid who gets adopted into a White family.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 04:09 am
@JGoldman10,
It wasn’t a comedy show, it was an excuse to get a load of pretty girls to strip down to their lingerie.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 04:09 am
@izzythepush,
Okay. I didn't know that.
0 Replies