4
   

What are a redneck's, hillbilly's and good ol' boy's preferred weapons of choice?

 
 
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 04:12 am
@JGoldman10,
Never seen or heard of it before now.

I don’t live in America, although we do get a lot of American telly over here we don’t get all of it.

I don’t watch many American sitcoms, I don’t find them funny.

By far the best American comedy out now is produced by animators.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  2  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 04:33 am
The reason people could be offended you your cartoons is that you will be viewed as some urban sophisticate poking fun at backwards rural folk. And that’s not how satire or effective comedy works. You never mock those who could be viewed as beneath you socially, because that is abusive.

The best humour is self deprecating where you mock yourself, other than that the rich and powerful are another acceptable target.

As for Dumas, Black people have been whitewashed out of history. Black people came over to Britain with the Romans, and some of them stayed. The TV Drama, The Last Kingdom about Alfred the great has a couple of black soldiers in the Saxon army.

When I was at school I learnt all about Florence Nightingale, The Lady Of the Lamp, and how she was so crucial in the treatment of soldiers in the Crimean War. I wasn’t taught about Mary Seacole, who was every bit as important as Florence Nightingale, because she was black.

Now it’s changing, a local hospital, The Royal South Hants has a wing named after Mary Seacole, and schoolkids are taught about her contribution.

Dumas wasn’t mocking the musketeers, he was writing from the point of view of a black man living in France in the 19th century.
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 11:08 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I alwys make an attack using FRESH FRUIT!!.

Fruit Ninjas are real and they all train deep in the hills running along the length of the Appalachian Trail.
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 06:04 pm
@izzythepush,
My rural characters aren't backwards. Yes they are from the country and yes they do some country stuff but they are going to be modern-day characters. They do things like use modern-day tech. They know how to relate to, get along with and fit in with urban characters and such.

They are rural caricatures but they act like modern-day people.

People stereotype African Americans and Latino Americans by making them hail from American urban slums. They make them " 'hood" or "ghetto" or "project-y". For some reason some reason people equate "urban" with African American and Latino American.

That's a bit offensive to some people. Not all African Americans and Latino Americans act like they are from the streets. Not all African Americans and Latino Americans hail from American urban slums.

That's a big reason why I don't like a lot of programming on BET and some other African American-owned TV networks like Centric and TVOne. A lot of films and shows about African Americans propagate negative African American stereotypes.

I am not a thug or some kind of miscreant.

I am from the American suburbs. I don't know how to relate to people from American urban slums. I recall living in ghetto-y neighborhoods temporarily with my family a few times, both in Long Island and in NYC. I didn't like it.

I am not putting people down.

I lived in a housing complex with my family a number of years ago around the time we first moved to upstate NY. The housing complex was predominantly Latino. There was an African American family who lived across the hall from us. Most of the Latinos who lived in that complex acted like a bunch of lowlifes. It was disgusting. They persecuted me and my family because we were Christians. Some of them sat outside our window on the stoop drinking and smoking and cussing and carrying on and such. People threw trash everywhere if I remember right. I remember the black lady who lived across the hall from me and my family had delinquent kids. Her kids vandalized my mother's car by scratching it up with a key. I remember people scratched up the door to my family's apartment and threw trash out in the hallway outside our door. I remember kids who lived upstairs from us disturbed us by dribbling basketballs over our heads. Most of the people in that housing complex didn't like me and my family. I remember people were cussing outside of our apartment in the hallway and/or outside our windows and blaring loud disgusting Latin music to offend and disturb us.

We were friends with one Latina lady and her kids who lived in an apartment in our complex. She tried keeping in touch with her after my family and I left the complex.

My family and I learned that after we left that complex living conditions over there got MUCH WORSE.
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 06:19 pm
@JGoldman10,
I don’t know any of the channels you mention. I don’t live in America.
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 06:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Okay. I am making a point. I also edited my previous post and the post right after this one.
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 06:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

My rural characters aren't backwards. Yes they are from the country and yes they do some country stuff but they are going to be modern-day characters. They do things like use modern-day tech. They know how to relate to, get along with and fit in with urban characters and such.

They are rural caricatures but they act like modern-day people.

People stereotype African Americans and Latino Americans by making them hail from American urban slums. They make them " 'hood" or "ghetto" or "project-y". For some reason some reason people equate "urban" with African American and Latino American.

That's a bit offensive to some people. Not all African Americans and Latino Americans act like they are from the streets. Not all African Americans and Latino Americans hail from American urban slums.

That's a big reason why I don't like a lot of programming on BET and some other African American-owned TV networks like Centric and TVOne. A lot of films and shows about African Americans propagate negative African American stereotypes.

I am not a thug or some kind of miscreant.

I am from the American suburbs. I don't know how to relate to people from American urban slums. I recall living in ghetto-y neighborhoods temporarily with my family a few times, both in Long Island and in NYC. I didn't like it.

I am not putting people down.

I lived in a housing complex with my family a number of years ago around the time we first moved to upstate NY. The housing complex was predominantly Latino. There was an African American family who lived across the hall from us. Most of the Latinos who lived in that complex acted like a bunch of lowlifes. It was disgusting. They persecuted me and my family because we were Christians. Some of them sat outside our window on the stoop drinking and smoking and cussing and carrying on and such. People threw trash everywhere if I remember right. I remember the black lady who lived across the hall from me and my family had delinquent kids. Her kids vandalized my mother's car by scratching it up with a key. I remember people scratched up the door to my family's apartment and threw trash out in the hallway outside our door. I remember kids who lived upstairs from us disturbed us by dribbling basketballs over our heads. Most of the people in that housing complex didn't like me and my family. I remember people were cussing outside of our apartment in the hallway and/or outside our windows and blaring loud disgusting Latin music to offend and disturb us.

We were friends with one Latina lady and her kids who lived in an apartment in our complex. We tried keeping in touch with her after my family and I left the complex.

I remember there was a White family that lived upstairs from us. Their son acted like a "wigga". He pretended to be our friend. He kissed up to my mother when my mother tried witnessing to him about Christ. He came into our apartment with the intention of stealing money from my mother, which he did. We learned that that young man ended up in jail. I don't remember what he did.

There were two young Latina women who lived upstairs from us whom we tried witnessing to about Christ. They persecuted us too. I remember my mother wrote Scriptures on a piece of paper and taped it on the outside of the door to our apartment. One of them ripped the paper off our door and vandalized our door. I remember they were coworkers of mine. They acted like maniacs.

My family and I learned that after we left that complex living conditions over there got MUCH WORSE.


- FIXED.
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 06:27 pm
@izzythepush,
At a lot of places my family and I moved to we were persecuted by SOME people. I think it was mainly because it was because we were Christians.

It could have also have been because some people were prejudiced. Some people saw my dad when my dad was around. They knew my dad was White and my mother was African American.

I do know something about Latino culture. I lived around Latinos.
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 06:46 pm
@izzythepush,
Do you think I should make cartoons and comics based off of past life experiences? What I just listed was all negative.

You and Farm are talking about writing about what I know.
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 07:40 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Do you think I should make cartoons and comics based off of past life experiences? What I just listed was all negative.

You and Farm are talking about writing about what I know.


Quite honestly that is what I was thinking. Why not make a coming based on a mixed race Christian family that lives in the suburbs? About all the trials and tribulations a family like that would go through. You said you liked the Jefferson's ... Wasn't their daughter married to a white dude? It would be like them after they have children and move to the burbs.
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 07:42 pm
@Linkat,
Stop being RACIST and stop playing race cards. I am an African American. African Americans are not racially-pure to being with.

They are 60 to 70 percent Sub-Saharan African on average.

Most Americans have a mixed ethnic and/or cultural background. That includes White Americans.
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 07:45 pm
@Linkat,
A few people told me I should base a cartoon and/or comic on myself. No one wants to see a cartoon and/or comic about a nerdy/geeky recluse, especially if I am aiming it at kids.
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 07:51 pm
@Linkat,
In The Jeffersons George and Louise Jefferson had neighbors who were a mixed race couple, the Willises. Tom Willis was Caucasian and his wife Ellen was African American. The Willises had a daughter and son. The Jeffersons' daughter didn't marry a White guy.

I didn't watch the show for the racial issues and such. I watched it because I thought it was funny.
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 07:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
I never said otherwise ..I simply gave you a suggestion based on your background and experience. We all have experiences based on where and how we grew up and on our rustic background.

Since you, yourself, spoke of some expert you had due to your mixed race and beliefs it seemed logical that you would write about that. You could actually if you are clever and creative enough teach others while at the same time being in some entertainment and humor around it.

JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 07:53 pm
@Linkat,
What "expert"? I don't like the term "mixed-race". Most African Americans are mixed-race.
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 07:54 pm
@Linkat,
You're a rural American?
0 Replies
 
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 07:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

In The Jeffersons George and Louise Jefferson had neighbors who were a mixed race couple, the Willises. Tom Willis was Caucasian and his wife Ellen was African American. The Willises had a daughter and son. The Jeffersons' daughter didn't marry a White guy.

I didn't watch the show for the racial issues and such. I watched it because I thought it was funny.


Ah that what is was forgot about that...I simply brought up that subject cuz it is part of your experiences.

If I were to write a comic I'd base it on coming from an Irish Italian background and how that can mess you up. Like a funeral for Italians everyone is crying while at an Irish funeral everyone is laughing and making jokes its a party.
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 07:57 pm
@Linkat,
I think Izzy and Farm are being racist. They seem to be implying I can't or shouldn't be writing stories about White people.
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 07:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
I think they are saying rural hillbilly type which you are not.
Rebelofnj
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 08:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
No one wants to see a cartoon and/or comic about a nerdy/geeky recluse


Writer Harvey Pekar did a good job making a comic, American Splendor, about a similar subject matter.

Got turned into a well regarded film.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/18/2021 at 06:23:01