How come there has never been a month-long observance for Christians?

JGoldman10

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 07:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Can we agree that slavery in America was a human atrocity? Black Africans and their descendants in America were FORCED into slavery. They didn't want to be slaves.
maxdancona

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 07:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, didn't you say you were Mexican in another thread?

I doubt it. If you can point me to the thread.... there is a Mexican branch in my family (which is quite mixed) and I spend a great deal of time in Mexico. My direct heritage is mostly English with a Jewish branch through Italy on my fathers side.

Why does this matter?

Americans didn't invent Christianity. They corrupted a religion that was already there.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 07:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
What the frig is WRONG with you? I don't dislike Native Americans.

I have Native American friends. I like certain aspects of Native American culture. I like Native American women.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 07:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Can we agree that slavery in America was a human atrocity? Black Africans and their descendants in America were FORCED into slavery. They didn't want to be slaves.

Yes. And can we also agree that American Slavery was supported by White Christian religious leaders (as was the European slave trade that it was based on).

0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 07:23 pm
@JGoldman10,
For the amount of research you claim to do, you don't know much about American history and Christianity as a whole.

It has been years since I had history class, but it was made clear that the faiths of Native Americans are not the main reason they were killed. The land they lived on was valuable to the government, hence the relocations and deaths.
JGoldman10

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 07:28 pm
@Rebelofnj,
As I said I am not a history expert and/or major like my dad was.
Rebelofnj

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 07:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
And yet, that doesn't stop you from making inaccurate historical claims about the role of Christianity in American Slavery and the treatment of Native Americans.

At the very least, you could provide citations and links to support your claims, instead of using "somebody told me..." and "my mother says..."
JGoldman10

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 08:13 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I was speculating.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 08:44 pm
Here's a good question - why didn't a lot of Native Americans move to Canada to avoid persecution like some African Americans did?
Rebelofnj

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 08:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
Life was not better in Canada. They faced similar discrimination and violent government actions.

Quote:
When the first prime minister of Canada, Sir John A. Macdonald, developed what he termed his “National Policy” in the late 1870s, one of its three central facets was the resettlement of Indigenous lands in the West by immigrant newcomers.

Quote:
Canada’s intention to eliminate any separate Indigenous identity was official Canadian Indian policy for a long time.

Duncan Campbell Scott, Deputy Superintendent of Indian Affairs for Canada (1913-1932), put it bluntly in the speech he gave in 1920: “I want to get rid of the Indian problem. … Our objective is to continue until there is not a single Indian in Canada that has not been absorbed into the body politic and there is no Indian question, and no Indian Department.”

Scott’s tenure was marked by particularly coercive policies and damaging legislative constraints for Canada’s Indigenous peoples, especially in terms of cultural repression and educational subjugation.

https://origins.osu.edu/article/canada-s-dark-side-indigenous-peoples-and-canada-s-150th-celebration

Basically, nearly all native populations around the world were either killed or removed from their lands by imperialistic nations.
Real Music

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 09:05 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
How come there has never been a month-long observance for Christians?

I'm I wrong to conclude that you feel that Christians deserve to have a month-long observance,
while not granting any other religion that same privilege?
JGoldman10

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 09:09 pm
@Real Music,
A true Christian does not acknowledge other gods.
maxdancona

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 09:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Here's a good question - why didn't a lot of Native Americans move to Canada to avoid persecution like some African Americans did?

Protestant Christians felt that they were so far superior to the indigenous people that the Native Americans weren't even human. That is why in what is now the United States, the Protestant Christians killed the Natives... almost all of them.

Catholics had a different attitude towards Native Americans. They wanted subjects. So instead of killing them, they just made them all Catholics. That is why there are far more Native Americans in Mexico than there are in what is now the United States.

The Protest Christians in the United States wanted to get rid of the Native Americans. They had no interest in "saving" them in any way.

The Catholics in Latin American committed atrocities too. But there wasn't the same level of extermination.

To blame this on the victims, rather than on the White Christians who actually did the killing, is deeply wrong.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 09:10 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Is that why Aboriginal Aussies were persecuted and killed? Australia is an imperialistic nation?
maxdancona

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 09:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Is that why Aboriginal Aussies were persecuted and killed? Australia is an imperialistic nation?

England is an imperialistic nation. Australia was an English colony. England was one of the most brutal of the colonial powers... the places with the worst atrocities were all British Colonies. This includes the United States and Australia.
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 09:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
A true Christian does not acknowledge other gods.

1. Yes, that is true.
2. But, what does that have to do with the question I asked you?
JGoldman10

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 09:14 pm
@Real Music,
I'm saying I don't care about other religions.
maxdancona

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 10:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I'm saying I don't care about other religions.

I hope you understand that White American Christianity is significantly different than other types of Christianity. White Americans invented their own version of Christianity in the 1800s. It is based on the idea that they are superior than any other race of people.

bulmabriefs144

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 11:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
I heard a sermon on In Touch (the televangelist thing with the old guy) today, where he was talking about Christmas. It was a pre-recorded episode so it was supposed to air earlier. He was basically discussing the "take down the manger scene, it's offensive" mindset.

The world is offended by Christianity. They don't want people to love our enemies.
They call them racist because they call out the secular world and its attachment to idealism and social justice, and how this stuff slowly makes nations into hellholes, because rather than us going out into the world and importing our good fortune to other countries, they want to bring their bad fortune to us. Yes, that really is how it works. You take immigrants, you take their problems, if you want to help their country then you help them where they live (rather then exporting the brightest and best leaving only the most desperate, which makes the country struggle more; or worse, exporting all your criminals so we have to deal with them). But I don't hate immigrants. I hate the human trafficking that poses as humanitarianism. I hate the love of Islam, which is clearly a toxic ideology that oppresses women. I hate the ideologies of oppression, not the people.
Immigrants are not our enemies. Muslims are not our enemies. Because people are not our enemies and deserve our love. It's the sick slavery and oppression that gets a free pass, and which people fawn over, while castigating Christians for wanting this **** to stop.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." -Ephesians 6:12

So how come there has never been a month-long observance for Christians? Because first of all, Christians don't want or ask for such festivals. Their kingdom is not this world, and they are called to be in the world but not of the world, so the idea of making others celebrate their month is something those who want earthly power will do. Second of all, the powers of this world hate what Christianity represents and have been trying to destroy it since day one. This is why it gets no special observances. Third, they don't have any festivals of religious events that last a month.
But you say, what about Constantine? He accepted the Christians, right? And there's rules for Christians to accept the leaders of this world. Yes, and why is that? It's because the leaders of this world do not matter (John 18:36). Jesus tells us a parable.

Quote:
33 “Hear another parable. There was a householder who planted a vineyard, and set a hedge around it, and dug a wine press in it, and built a tower, and let it out to tenants, and went into another country. 34 When the season of fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the tenants, to get his fruit; 35 and the tenants took his servants and beat one, killed another, and stoned another. 36 Again he sent other servants, more than the first; and they did the same to them. 37 Afterward he sent his son to them, saying, ‘They will respect my son.’ 38 But when the tenants saw the son, they said to themselves, ‘This is the heir; come, let us kill him and have his inheritance.’ 39 And they took him and cast him out of the vineyard, and killed him. 40 When therefore the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?” 41 They said to him, “He will put those wretches to a miserable death, and let out the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the fruits in their seasons.”

If we try to upset the powers of this world, we are really saying that our kingdom is an earthly one. Christians should not vote at all, they should not participate in the electoral process. The entire thing is a sham (you're expected to believe that 49 people against and 51 people for an issue is at all fair to the 49 against). Instead, we must accept that this world is imperfect, and do our best for the people around us instead. God will uphold the mandate of heaven. If people are oppressed, he will seek justice. But it is not our place to rush the process.

So what about Constantine? As for Constantine, may leaders in this world tried to bribe or corrupt Christianity. Christians were persecuted in the early church, and stood strong in their faith. They wandered the land, and preached throughout the people, enduring punishment and torture. 300 years of this hadn't worked. So the tactic Constantine tried (telling this great anecdote about his dream and his conversion, but I don't buy it) was to basically offer the church prosperity, clog it with hierarchy, and hope that it would eventually assimilate into Roman paganism. This became the Catholic church. While the pre-Catholics were vital and wandered the land making converts and helping people, the Catholics created a centralized system swamped with bureaucracy.

This below is closer to what the church should be doing, and they're not even Christian! Here the prayers and concerns, and go out and help people.

Quote:
An aspect that separates Konkokyo as a unique way is "Toritsugi" which means mediation. In Konkokyo, Toritsugi (Mediation) is a spiritual practice for people to establish a communication link between themselves and Tenchi Kane no Kami. One can receive Toritsugi by a Konkokyo minister, generally at a Konkokyo church. A visitor enters the church, sits in front of the minister, and says whatever is on their mind. It can be a request to resolve a problem, or a word of thanks.

In Toritsugi, after the visitor says everything they have wanted to say, the minister relays the visitor's words to the spirit of Ikigami Konko Daijin (the spiritual formal name of Bunjirō, who was first taught Toritsugi by Tenchi Kane no Kami) in prayer. Ikigami Konko Daijin then helps the minister to further relay the words to Tenchi Kane No Kami.

Tenchi Kane no Kami then replies their message to the minister, who will then relay it back to the person.

By understanding the message of Tenchi Kane No Kami's teachings and advice, the visitor can receive guidance to their issues, or feel relieved from anxieties knowing the deity has heard their words. Toritsugi can help the person put a problem into perspective and find solutions from within their own hearts.

Tenchi Kane No Kami asks people to understand their teachings, thus to make people become aware of their relationship with the Universe and the ways of the Universe. By working within the framework of the laws of the Universe instead of going against it, people can avoid troubles which lead to suffering. While Toritsugi at churches is typically performed by ministers, lay members are also encouraged to perform Toritsugi in their daily lives to help others. When they meet people who are suffering, the Konkokyo way is to listen to their problems, support them, and pray for their wellbeing and happiness. Tenchi Kane no Kami wishes for all people to become a mediator and help others.

Konkokyo has churches where people can go to worship and pray. Though Konkokyo believes that Tenchi Kane No Kami is everywhere, and followers of the way can talk to the deity anytime and anywhere, the church is a place to receive assistance and guidance through Toritsugi, and for people to focus their prayers, to appreciate blessings, apologize for any irreverences they may feel they have made, as well as be a safe and calming center for people to visit.

"This is my father's house, but you have made it a den of thieves." Christianity should be going out, and talking to people, yes even while this pandemic is going on. Right now is when people need to talk to other people. Instead, the bishops are telling people not to have communion, not to sing, not to gather. Even online, they are not to sing, lest they superspread joy or something. These bishops are thieves, bankrupting the church, and then selling the building that remains. They are murderers, killing the hope of the church, and driving people to despair. People are literally committing suicide because their lives have no purpose right now. These buildings are not important. Let that land burn to the ground. The book of Christianity is not important. Burn the Bible if you hate it so much. The priests are not important, this hierarchy got in the way of worship. But to have people actively prevented from gathering, to be isolated until they give up hope? No, that's criminal.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 11:54 pm
@maxdancona,
I am convinced that some group of liberal airhead types brainwashed you at some point.

"White American" Christianity, as you put it, is no different from Protestantism in Europe. This is not some racial superiority cult. We are not taught about the curse of Ham, or that the United States is numbah one.

We are taught about the crucified Christ, same as any other version of Christianity.

Stop listening to critical race theory crackpots.

Quote:
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Quote:
Yes. And can we also agree that American Slavery was supported by White Christian religious leaders (as was the European slave trade that it was based on).

READ
THE
LINKS
PLEASE

https://rmc.library.cornell.edu/abolitionism/abolitionists.htm
Quote:
In the 1830s, American abolitionists, led by Evangelical Protestants, gained momentum in their battle to end slavery. Abolitionists believed that slavery was a national sin, and that it was the moral obligation of every American to help eradicate it from the American landscape by gradually freeing the slaves and returning them to Africa.

Hmmm, interesting. But I was told that Abraham Lincolm freed all the slaves, or maybe enlightened atheists were behind black rights.
https://www.theroot.com/did-lincoln-really-free-the-slaves-1790874318
https://townhall.com/columnists/dineshdsouza/2008/01/14/how-christians-ended-slavery-n962085

Slavery is still going on in the form of human trafficking. I have personally talked to people in this forum about this. The atheists have a "ho hum" reply, and then tell me that I'm being racist for not liking illegal immigration, which is illegal precisely because of how the immigrants are exploited.