Red Sox Fans: Are You Covering The Bases?

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 09:25 pm
Hope he's ok...

I'm in NY right now for company meetings, and just got back from Shea Stadium in the luxury boxes.

Saw Pedro pitch, that was pretty cool.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 09:27 pm
Niiiiice, Slappy.

My housemate and I went to see the last few innings at a couple different places in the Squayah.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:20 am
Noticed the Yankees thread is dead. Anybody catch their game with the Indians? Whew, talk about a weak pitching staff...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:35 am
its the worst pitching staff money can buy...
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 05:35 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
tonight's MBM update --

hit a 3-run homer (giving him 30 HR's & 100 RBI's on the season) in the 8-5 sawx win, they're 7th straight.
sawx now have a 4 game lead on the yanks...

scary moment in the 2nd inning:
manny & renteria, chasing a blooper, collide in short leftfield.
renteria smacks manny in the face twice (once with each hand) during the collision.
the manny manages to hold on to the ball for the 3rd out, his nose bloodied...

Hi I'm new here so sorry I'm talking about an old issue. That was a scary collision. Did anyone else have flashbacks of Johnny Damon/Damion Jackson a few years ago?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:04 pm
yes i did, OperaGhost.

flashback ---> http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=633816#633816

it never ceases to amaze that these guys haven't learned (or maybe they've forgotten?) how to call for the ball...
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 05:44 pm
I agree Region. Sometimes I wonder though if it's that they can't hear each other. I've been at Fenway on some pretty close games and it's so loud I couldn't even hear myself think. But then again, that's also what I love about it. :-D
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 05:49 pm
I'm pretty sure they call for the ball most of the time...with 35K+ fans yelling at you while running full speed, it's hard to hear. I've seen tons of collisions where one fielder was clearly yelling the other guy off, and they hit anyway.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:24 pm
it happened again today!

Cameron breaks facial bones
Has broken nose, fractured cheek bones and slight concussion after collision with Beltran

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3857/cameronbeltran8nv.jpg

Mets centerfielder Carlos Beltran and rightfielder Mike Cameron collide headfirst while trying to make a diving catch on a bloop fly off the bat of San Diego's David Ross in the seventh inning. Cameron was taken off the field in a stretcher.

SAN DIEGO -- Mets right fielder Mike Cameron was taken off the field on a stretcher following a frightening head-to-head collision with center fielder Carlos Beltran in the seventh inning of a 2-1 loss to the San Diego Padres on Thursday.

The game was delayed for about 13 minutes after the diving crash. Cameron lay on the field and was tended to by trainers from both teams before being taken to Mercy Hospital.

Cameron broke his nose, had multiple fractures of both cheekbones and a slight concussion, Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said. Cameron underwent two CT scans and was to be hospitalized overnight. He was placed on the disabled list.

Mets assistant general manager Jim Duquette said Beltran was examined by the Padres' doctor at the stadium and "everything came out normal." Beltran was to have a CT scan and then possibly head to Los Angeles to rejoin the Mets, who open a series against the Dodgers on Friday night. Beltran had a sore shoulder and a cut near his left temple.

Cameron lifted up his head at one point, and shielded his eyes from the sun as he was put onto a stretcher by paramedics, lifted onto a cart and driven off the field. He was immobilized and put in a neck brace.

Beltran got up after a few minutes after the collision and walked off the field on his own power. He left the game with a sore left shoulder and a cut on the face.
(rest of article)

i just saw the replay on ESPN -- its hard to watch... but you can't NOT watch it.
cameron was going full speed when they cracked skulls.
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 09:49 pm
I just saw the replay a little while ago too. Definitely scary. I hope they're both going to be ok. Fractured facial bones are painful from what I've been told. Sad
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 11:37 am
If the Yankees don't catch up with the Red Sox, they're going to have to catch up with the LAA (why can't they just stick to Anaheim Angels...) right?
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 08:23 pm
I still don't get why they changed their name again. Is Anaheim even that close to LA?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 05:52 am
Ray wrote:
If the Yankees don't catch up with the Red Sox, they're going to have to catch up with the LAA (why can't they just stick to Anaheim Angels...) right?

It really isn't even so much a matter of catching up with Los Angeles. The thing is that the best team ever in the history of baseball, my beloved New York Yankees, are in the American League East and need to gain the substantial gain there. At the very least they need to get into the wildcard slot which at the present time is just not happening. Why oh why, could somebody please tell me WHY the creatures from the back bay won't just surrender and do what they should and lose?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 07:26 am
Those days are over, Sturg, the Sox now are just another bunch of millionaires playing a kid's game for the glory of their own personal history. With the curse gone, the strangeness of the curving fly ball will be explained by wind conditions, not spirits.

They play now without magic, in other days we called it hardball.

Joe(Wait. I forgot to touch my talisman)Nation
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 05:44 pm
I don't know. I still think there's magic in the air when the sox are playing. It's just how we as fans feel about our team. The passion for the game and for our team is so strong that I don't think it will ever be that easy to think of them as just another team. They'll always be magical to me. And I never thought they were spirits, I just thought we were that good. Wink
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 05:56 pm
I'm having difficulty adjusting to success. I think I liked it better when we knew ultimately the Sox would fail ,confirming New England's residual, deep down but still retrievable when needed, Calvinist suspicions about the world.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 08:39 pm
Quote:
I still don't get why they changed their name again. Is Anaheim even that close to LA?

not really.
they're trying to horn in on the LA market.
its all about lining pockets; nothing about furthering a team's identity...
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:14 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
Quote:

not really.
they're trying to horn in on the LA market.
its all about lining pockets; nothing about furthering a team's identity...

Funny how it always comes down to money. :-P
0 Replies