Legislation Bought and Paid For

Diane

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 10:13 pm
A friend sent this article to me. It is another of many examples of legislation that goes through because of campaign contributions, not good law-making.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DrWeil.com

Question::

I understand that the national organic food standard is in jeopardy. What happened? I thought this was a done deal.

Answer::

The national organic food standard is a done deal, but a move to weaken it slipped through Congress recently. The law, which sets national standards for what foods can be legitimately labeled "organic" went into effect this past fall. But in February, a Georgia congressman, Nathan Deal, got permission from J. Dennis Hastert, speaker of the House of Representatives, to add a little-noticed provision to the 3,000 page Federal Appropriations Act that undermines the National Organic Standard.
Deal, a Republican, inserted wording that would allow farmers to use non-organic feed for their livestock but to sell the meat, eggs and dairy products from those animals as "organic". Until then, the organic standard required that meat and dairy products couldn't be labeled "organic" unless the animals were fed organically grown food. Deal acted in response to a request from a big constituent and campaign contributor, Fieldale Farms, a chicken processing company. Congress passed the appropriations bill containing Deal's provision, which means that it is now the law.
Luckily, the change quickly came to the notice of farmers, environmentalists and others who support the Organic Standard and don't want to see it weakened. I added my name to those of many consumers who started a lobbying campaign on the Internet to overturn Deal's provision, and I will continue to work against any attempts to weaken the national standard. Legislation introduced to overturn Deal's provision has broad bipartisan support including that of Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman. Some of the lawmakers backing the change have announced plans to organize an organic caucus to watch out for further actions like Congressman Deal's.
To keep the pressure on Congress to repeal Deal's provision, you can email your U.S. Senator or Congressman. To get their names and addresses go to the U.S. Senate's <http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm> Web site or the U.S. House of Representatives <http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.html> Web site.
Incidentally, results of a recently published study reinforce the importance of the organic food movement. Researchers at the University of California at Davis found that fruits and vegetables grown without pesticides or herbicides contained between 19 and 60 percent more cancer-fighting flavonoids than conventionally grown produce. Flavenoids are compounds that combat oxidative damage which permits free radical accumulation.
Dr. Andrew Weil

Copyright 2002 Polaris Health, LLC
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 927 • Replies: 8
No top replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 02:14 am
oy vey!

That's not kosher!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 10:37 pm
Oy is right my boy. Just think what is in that feed!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 11:19 pm
ick
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 01:58 am
not good
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:30 am
of course, it could be worse...
Alternative Foodstuffs
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:33 pm
Maxsdadeo, what a memory! That was a good movie and pretty much on the mark.
It is a shame that huge corporations have enough power and money to influence legisation that affects our lives and health.
I remember reading (can't provide a link) that all the pollution and additives are major causes of the dramatic increase in ADD and other problems affecting children.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:44 pm
Thanks, Diane. I agree.
As a family that keeps dairy farmers in business, I am highly suspect of BGH, among other things.
Max had a "sky fort" that I disassembled after learning about the toxic chemicals that were used in treating the wood, and how they had leached out and impacted the health of children with a high rate of exposure to them.

Unfortunately, we must be ever vigilant on our own.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 07:26 pm
Little Max is lucky to have well informed parents--too many parents never give things like that a thought.
Companies that knowingly treat their products with anything toxic should be held legally accountable for the medical bills that result from the exposure of children to these toxins. Their moral accountability is for judgement day I suppose.
You would think they would do everything in their power to produce the safest product possible, knowing that children will be playing with them. Children!
To me, that is capitalism at its very worst.
0 Replies