9/11 finally stops the Yanks funding terror...how strange.

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 03:21 am
Yanks suddenly stopped funding the IRA, who were using that vast amount of funding to make bombs, and blow up British civilians on a regular basis. The reason that it stopped is because reality finally smacked them in the face on 9/11. It is very sad that it took such violence to force a change in attitude.

I THINK I HAVE NOW GOT YOUR ATTENTION.

Now, if you are an American reading this, how does it make you feel?
Angry?

Try to imagine what your feelings would have been, had you read the opening statement less than a week after 9/11.
What sort of replies would I have received. Welcomed with open arms?

Well, this is just what the Brit contingent have had to put up with here on A2K, and the Author has received the appropriate response.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/about55489.html

I would ask that people look long and hard at the sensitivity of a subject, and the wording of their opening statements, before starting such a thread.
The question should also be asked "Is this appropriate, at this moment in time", bearing in mind that our dead havent been buried yet.

Thank you for your time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 819 • Replies: 18
No top replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 05:17 am
Lord E interesting point I wonder where the funding came from. I assume that it was big in Boston and New York and some other cities with large Irish populations. That sort of dewey-eyed image of Ireland always put me off. But I suppose it was part of the mythology.

Something to think about in interpreting what happened in Britain.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 05:57 am
I apologize for our Jerks, most of us here in the US love you Brits.

Yer like brothers to us on the international level. I'm sorry for your recent loss but have no doubt that a country that can survive the raids of WW2 and years of IRA attacks will be fazed by a few bombs.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 06:09 am
IRA support was big in parts of NY a few years bacK. In the early 80's I was out on a first date and the guy took me to a famous bar in an Irish part of Brooklyn. In one corner near the bar was a clear plastic barrel chained to the floor. The barrel was about 3 feet high. It was stuffed full of cash. When I asked someone what all the money was for, I was told it was donations for the IRA. I was told the owner of the bar has to empty the barrel each week and he passes on the funds. It gave me the creeps and I couldn't wait to get out of that place. Apparently it was not illegal, as there were a number of guys wearing their NYC police and fireman type T-shirts sitting in there.

I think history shows that every world power has supported or commited various forms of terrorism some where in thier history. We all live in glass houses, so let's not throw stones.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:14 am
Thanks for the measured responses so far. I must admit to being a bit worried about placing such a controversial title. Several of you know me pretty well by now, and you will therefore realise that it is not my style.

I just felt that I had to raise the awareness of innapropriate action, that's all.

I shall return to making a complete ass of myself in the very near future, but at the mo, I cant seem to find much to smile about.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:17 am
If it's any consolation, I do not believe the IRA should be receiving any funding from Americans and the American gov't should have frozen the assets of any organization that has helped fund the IRA's terrorist attacks.

Terrorism is terrorism. Doesn't matter who does it or why.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:19 am
No, it wasn't an appropriate time at all for cheap point scoring.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:28 am
I don't see the controversy. I can't imagine why it would have been an issue after 9/11, either.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:33 am
I think that people don't think before they act (or write) and I think that it is a very American thing to do. We (as a country) always seem to flip out before we stop and think about why we are doing something.

I am an American but was offended, hurt and saddened by the terror act in the UK.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:40 am
I post my latest response to the Brits who have displayed outrage by my thread which is linked above......perhaps it will clarify my intent. If there is still outrage then perhaps you are in the crowd that I aimed at.

rayban wrote:
To all Brits from rayban

Would you all please read the article by your Home Secretary....Suddenly you are no longer sympathetic observers of the tragic attack on this country----instead you are the victims. I merely pointed out the different perspective you now have and that you take the attitude that you must now do something to combat this evil menace.

When you were merely observers, two different perceptions formed in my mind. First there was the perception of total and absolute support from your PM, Mr. Blair, and he has followed through without hesitation and has become our best and often only ally. On the other hand, a large percentage of Brits immediately took the stance that it was our fault. We had created this terrorist monster and they gave your PM holy hell for supporting us in any form or fashion.

Now that you are the victims, it is obvious that you want action to be taken and both Mr. Clarke and your PM are responding admirably, IMO.

I very much admired the stoic response of all the Brits and you very much displayed the spirit eloquently spoken of by your PM, who BTW is in my estimation a great leader, that you would not be terrorized. There was no panic and by the next day it appeared to me that the British people were determined to show that everything was again normal.

In summation I wish to say that my only intent was to distinguish between being an observer and the victim........the attitude is entirely different

I did not mention the IRA for the same reason I did not mention the Buzz bomb attacks during WW2. It should be self evident that the only relevant source of terrorism in the London bombings, is the Islamist Fascism variety. I repost the clarification of my opening comments in response to your self righteous indignation.......you might want to go back and examine the lack of real intent to support our efforts to unify the civilized countries of the world against the menace posed by Islamist terrorism. There was agreement on cooperation to restrict the money flow to known terrorist organizations, and to coordinate intelligence efforts, but actual unity in a global war effort was never forthcoming because it became apparent that most countries secretly believed the US had gotten what it deserved for meddling in the internal affairs of so many countries.

I will again say that the British Gov't of Tony Blair has given 100% support as well and a high percentage of the British people. My complaint and the reason for this thread, lay with the other high percentage of Brits who have constantly ridiculed Bush and our efforts to combat terrorism. If you fall in that category then face facts......if you were always in support of us then please don't take offense at anything I have said because it was not aimed at you.

If you among those who are in denial of the obvious then so be it.....let self righteous indignation rule the day.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:43 am
"You're either with us, or against us." ( I must learn how to do the emoticon thing, I would have used the one with the rolling eyes. You will all have to use your imagination, I'm afraid.)

Here's to the man with one eye, who cant see out of the other.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:50 am
Hey!

Wait, maybe yer not talking about me

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:58 am
who you callin' a Yank, 'ellpus. I noticed that you Brits didn't buy our cotton during the War between the States, Tsk, tsk.

Just jokin' around, buddy. You know, there are folks who feel like the Queen ought to relinquish those six counties, but, terrorism is NOT the way to do it, right?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:20 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
( I must learn how to do the emoticon thing, I would have used the one with the rolling eyes. You will all have to use your imagination, I'm afraid.)

type this:

Code::roll:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 01:48 pm
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 01:51 pm
Bloody hell...I have now officially entered the technological age.
Thank you for taking my Computer "cherry", jpinMilwaukee

I'll buy you a pint some day.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 01:52 pm
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aetsch/cheeky-smiley-006.gif

HE DID IT!! HE DID IT!!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/cool/cool-smiley-030.gif
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 01:53 pm
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-033.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-033.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-033.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-033.gif
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 01:57 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Bloody hell...I have now officially entered the technological age.
Thank you for taking my Computer "cherry", jpinMilwaukee

I'll buy you a pint some day.

Mmmm... cherry...

No problem Lord E. And I'll be sure to take you up on that offer for a pint next time I'm on your side of the pond.
0 Replies