Re-Decorating (Actually for the first time!) My Home

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:06 am
I just moved to a new place and plan on staying for a while so for the first time ever, I want to decorate. I've got the bathrooms done and the spare bedroom done. Those were easy. Our bedroom and the living room are tough.

I have a small budget so making stuff is the best route. I am starting with the bedroom and moving from there. So far I have the headboard and canopy instructions but I am lost from there. I have no natural syle when it comes to decorating so I need some ideas and help!

Here are my ideas of what I want it to look like:

Bedroom - Soft greens and tans. Very natural and neutral. I love romantic looks but need heavy curtains to keep out the light. I have white walls and am not painting (rental). Also have cream carpet. No headboard/baseboard but am making one. Mahogny furniture. 2 medium sized windows. Bedroom is approx. 11x 13.

Living Room - Some brightness! I don't have new furniture and my hubby won't let me cover his chair so we need to go with blues in the living room. 1 loveseat and 1 recliner I can cover. Cream/yellowish walls (very light) and cream carpet (again can't paint as it is a rental). 1 large window. Black entertainment center (don't want to paint).

So, any suggestions or websites on homemade decorating? Thanks guys...I know you'll have a ton of ideas!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,711 • Replies: 32
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:19 am
An Ikea is coming to Canton in summer of 2006!!! You lucky dog. (I desperately want one within an hour of Columbus.)

A fair amount is online though:

www.ikea.com

There is absolutely nothing better for redecorating cheap, IMO, though Target is doing their best to be the American Ikea.

My first thought is to give a lot of attention to curtains. Joanne fabrics and Calico Corners usually have good sales and a pretty good selection. Some great fabric curtains can make a huge difference. For the bedroom ones, you can think about having two layers -- a heavy white/ cream layer, and then a layer over that -- so you don't have to use heavy dark fabric.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:26 am
Making a trip to the Houston Ikea tomorrow....

They have great kid's furniture and toys, too.

Penny's has good curtains, although I generally leave decorating up to Mrs. Drew. We're currently redecorating for baby #2.

Home Depot can be good for curtain rods, pull-backs, etc.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:31 am
sozobe wrote:
For the bedroom ones, you can think about having two layers -- a heavy white/ cream layer, and then a layer over that -- so you don't have to use heavy dark fabric.

OOO, what a good idea!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 10:51 am
Did you ever watch the Christopher Lowell show when it was on the Discovery Channel?

His background, I think, was in set design so a lot of his stuff is great and inexpensive ways to fake different things.

He's not on anymore but the Discovery Channel maintains an archive of a lot of projects: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/christopherlowell/demos/demoindex.html
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 11:50 am
I would suggest that you start with a fabric first. For instance, in the bedroom, find a bedspread that you like first. It's easier to match the paint and flooring to the fabric than to find the perfect fabric once you've already painted the walls.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 11:54 am
boomerang wrote:
Did you ever watch the Christopher Lowell show when it was on the Discovery Channel?

His background, I think, was in set design so a lot of his stuff is great and inexpensive ways to fake different things.

He's not on anymore but the Discovery Channel maintains an archive of a lot of projects: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/christopherlowell/demos/demoindex.html

Wow! There are a ton of ideas on that website! Thanks!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:08 pm
Your welcome, Bella.

I always thought he had some good ideas - easy things to make and do while being easy on your budget too.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:38 pm
I am very excited to start this project...it gives me a purpose every day and that is very important to me. I just informed my hubby about my impending decoration and he just zoned out and said, "great, cool, sounds awesome." <<sigh>> Such a man.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:44 pm
Start with a large picture of me on the fridge.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:22 pm
Bella Dea
Bella, one way to bring lots of color to your walls in a rental unit is to:

Purchase inexpensive curtain rods as long as you can find (after measuring the width of the wall you want to cover.)

Purchase inexpensive colorful light weight fabric curtains (you make or ready made) to hang from the rods. The rods should be hung as close to the ceiling as possible.

You can cover an entire wall or a portion of it. Curtains don't just have to hang on both sides of a window.

Such a curtain accent wall might look great behind the head of your bed.

You can even hang inexpensive wall light fixtures on the curtain wall just by providing slits in the material for them. The curtains will hide the electrical cords.

If you are making the curtains yourself, save some fabric to cover pillows for the bed.

This same wall treatment can be used in your living room as well.

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:27 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Start with a large picture of me on the fridge.

Or in the corner. The bathroom, maybe?

http://www.newline-shop.com/nlc/ausdrestd.jpg

(It talks!)

http://shop.newline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_sku=AUSDRESTD&referral_id=CJP&AID=10280987&PID=1255199
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:43 pm
A friend of mine was renting so couldn't paint either. For the bedroom, he bought several sets of sheets with a contemporary pattern and just stapled them top and bottom to the walls.

I swear, you couldn't tell they weren't wall paper! You could do it with sheets that match or complement your bedding.

I like BBB's idea, it's a good trick for making a small window appear much larger.

Try some smaller area rugs, it'll help keep the carpet underneath cleaner and is an inexpensive way to change the look of a room. One can go under the love seat and coffee table, a smaller one under the recliner.

Try different color light bulbs in small table lamps to create an atmosphere.

Do you think you could rig something on the wall that wouldn't damage it?
I'm thinking of cove lighting, tres chic.
I can't explain this well, but imagine a small shelf that goes around the entire room, maybe 6 or 8 inches from the ceiling. The shelf would have a small lip, like an inch or 2.
Run rope lights along the shelves, behind the lip, the cord would run down the wall to the outlet, but you could cover that with a vine or something.

You can buy rope lights at home depot. They are cheap, low wattage, don't use a lot of electricity, and safe. The lights are contained in a rope of clear plastic tubing, so it doesn't get hot.

It will give the room a really romantic glow. You can leave on day and night, wonderful as a night light, or for making love.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:48 pm
Chai Tea
Chai Tea, I like your suggestion to use the rope lights. I used them above my kitchen cabinets to highlight copper wall hangings. It is beautiful at night.

BBB
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 03:17 pm
oh, I'll bet it's lovely on the copper.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 03:25 pm
BBB, what a great idea about the curtains not on the windows!

See, I knew you'd all have good ideas...a piece of all of you in my home...

And Slappy...I prefer the picture of you naked in my bedroom....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 07:25 pm
Home Depot has a computer system by Behr paints that will coordinate colors. We picked our main color, and it suggested eight different pallets, all of which coordinated with each other.

We then bought pre-stretched canvases from an art supply place (Hobby Lobby) and painted them with our color selections. Put 'em up on the wall and you have custom artwork.

We also re-painted a bookshelf to match.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 06:51 am
DrewDad wrote:
Home Depot has a computer system by Behr paints that will coordinate colors. We picked our main color, and it suggested eight different pallets, all of which coordinated with each other.

We then bought pre-stretched canvases from an art supply place (Hobby Lobby) and painted them with our color selections. Put 'em up on the wall and you have custom artwork.

We also re-painted a bookshelf to match.

Great! Thanks! I think I am going to do the bedroom in reds; burgandy, rust all those deep reds and cream to offset the red.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:20 am
News! I talked to my hubby after work last night and told him my plan for the headboard. He got so excited we went to buy the materials and actually built the thing last night!! I have to paint it over the weekend and add the final touches but at least the thing is built! Once it's done, I will post it for you all too see!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:21 am
That's great Bella!!
0 Replies