Seek information on Conchita Jurado/Carlos Malvory

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 04:55 am
I'm looking for information on Conchita Jurado, alias Carlos Malvory. This is all I know about her: She was part of a group of jokesters around 1920-30s, Mexicans, and Spaniards I believe, and she dressed as a man named Carlos Malvory to carry out her practical jokes.

I looked on the net, and could not find anything on her. If anybody has any information on her, and her group please let me know.

Thank you,

AE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,967 • Replies: 11
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 06:50 pm
You got the name wrong. It was Carlos Balmori.

It was a huge practical joke, played in Mexico City. The group of friends invited ambitious women to meet "millionaire Carlos Balmori". Balmori was in fact Conchita, dressed as a man. Most of the women "fell inmediately in love" with Balmori, failing to notice he was a she.
Among the rumors the group of pranksters spread, was the one that said that Cine Balmori (a well known theatre in those time) was one of many properties of Don Carlos.

I read this on a magazine decades ago. Thanks for helping me remember.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 07:14 pm
I also learned that she was supposed to have been a teacher at one time. Practical jokes were played on women, and men too, some high officials at that time. The group were actually the people that had been played the jokes on, and the group became bigger & bigger. I'm told that the group used their own resources to support their practical jokes.

Thanks for the correction on the name.

AE
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 07:39 pm
Who is the adelita in your website? She looks so young.

I forgot to say that I need the information on Conchita because of group of us are going to do a small production on these characters.

Thanks again
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:45 am
My adelita is a nameless revolutionary sargeant.

I read a little more about Conchita-Balmori.
Conchita was a retired theatre actress. She played Balmori from 1926 to 1931, the year of her death. She was born in 1865.

Balmori was supposed to be a Spaniard. He also behaved very petulantly, complaining about the "nastiness" of places that were supposed to be first class. And everyone forgave his assinine behaviour, because of his money.
I read that s/he convinced some generals and politicians to switch parties.
Also that a word was invented in those days: "balmoreada" - a Balmori-like joke.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:57 am
Yes, I think the lady did more than just play practical jokes. Thats right "Balmoreada", I knew it had to do with the last name, but did not know quite how to pronounce it or write it.

Do you know any websites on the net, or, a book I can buy on Conchita, and Balmori? Where did you get the information?

Your adelita is beautiful.

Thank you so much fbaezer
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:10 am
I googled "Carlos Balmori" "Conchita Jurado" and found this good links, all in Spanish:

http://cvc.cervantes.es/el_rinconete/anteriores/marzo_05/22032005_01.htm

http://www.mexico.com/lapalabra/una.php?idarticulo=4873

I also found out there is a book: "Memorias de Don Carlos Balmori", written by Luis Cervantes Morales, edited by Costa-Amic in 1969. I guess it's impossible to find, though.
Nicaraguan writer HernĂ¡n Robleto wrote a play, "Los Millones de Carlos Balmori", which must have been published somewhere in the 70s.

One other thing: "balmoreada" is not used anymore. It's a word of times long gone.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:19 am
I had googled her name first, then his with the wrong spelling on his last name. Thats why I came up with nothing.

I will check a few of the spanish book stores here in Manhattan, and see if I can find the book. I also know a few spanish cultural libraries.

Thanks again
0 Replies

gotmayhem

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 03:23 pm
Concepcion Jurado & Don Carlos Balmori
I just read the most wonderful story written by Bernard Hilton about Concepcion Jurado in a vintage paperback I found at an estate sale. The book was entitled "The World's Most Spectacular and Ingenious Swindles, Hoaxes & Frauds A Selection from the Provocative Best Seller Grand Deception" edited by Alexander Klein . I was so intrigued I actually went on line to try to find more info on her. Who knows, someday I might right a screenplay about her. So far, I haven't found anything. I may decide to list the book on eBay in the future, and I'll start it at .99. I doubt it will go for much over that. If you are interested, let me know and I'll let you know if I decide to put it up.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:11 pm
Kewl, I would be interested if you can give me a sample.
0 Replies

bushbaby

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:14 am
Comic Book Story of Concepcion Jurada/Carlos Balmori
I recently bought an anthology of Independent Comics (The New Comics Anthology, edited by Bob Callahan, Collier Books, Macmillan Publishing Co. 1991) and read a great story by one of my favorite writers, Kim Deitch titled "Famous Frauds: Number 1 in a Series: The Adventures of Don Carlos Balmori (A True Story)" It was so amazing I had to look up this character on the internet to see if it really was true. That's how I ran across your post here. I needed something in Ingles, cuz I couldn't read most of the results...

Anyway, it's a great story about the humiliation of a rising real estate broker, Carlos Gonzales, in Mexico City at a party with the cream of society in 1927. Gonzales is introduced to the millionaire, Don Carlos Balmori, who offers him a job with a huge salary, forces him to shave off his mustache for the job (at the party!), then accuses Gonzales of stealing a diamond pin from him. I'd love to hear other pranks Jurada carried out!

The comic is dated 1975.
0 Replies

pierre favre

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:58 pm
boook about Balmori
I have the book you are looking for.I live in Mexico city in the Balmori Building. Contact me at my e mail adress: [email protected]

Pierre FAVRE
0 Replies