Debunking 8 anti-war myths #3

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:20 am
The Bush Administration claimed Iraq was responsible for 9/11.

It's always difficult to prove a negative, but that simply never happened.

Many people may believe this was the case because in "Fahrenheit 9/11," Michael Moore truncated a comment by Condi Rice in order to deliberately give viewers of his movie that false impression. Here's the quote as it appeared in the film:

Quote:
"There is a tie between Iraq and what happened on 9/11"

Now here's the full quote:

Quote:
"Oh, indeed there is a tie between Iraq and what happened on 9/11. It's not that Saddam Hussein was somehow himself and his regime involved in 9/11, but, if you think about what caused 9/11, it is the rise of ideologies of hatred that lead people to drive airplanes into buildings in New York."

Setting aside Moore's little deceit, there just aren't any quotations I've ever seen from anyone in the Bush administration saying that Saddam was responsible for 9/11. That's why, in a piece called "Answering 50 Frequently Asked Questions About The War On Terrorism," which incidentally was written about a week before the war began, I wrote this:

Quote:
The Bush administration has never claimed that Iraq was involved in 9/11...

Furthermore, after the war had begun, in September of 2003, President Bush himself publicly & explicitly said:

Quote:
"We have no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved with the 11 September attacks."

It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Source for lie #3 including links.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 725 • Replies: 7
No top replies

parados

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:34 am
Parados Never claims McGentrix is a complete fool.

There indeed is a tie between McGentrix and a complete fool. It's not that McGentrix is a complete fool but, if you think about what a complete fool is, and the idealogy of complete foolishness that causes people to act like complete fools.

Nope, I never once claimed McG is a complete fool..... :wink:
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:42 am
...and a spammer.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:46 am
I broke the article up in hopes of spurring some conversation about each topic. I had no idea it would only draw the guppies. If you'd like to discuss this article, please do so. Otherwise, please don't bother wasting your precious time reading my threads.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:48 am
McGentrix wrote:
I broke the article up in hopes of spurring some conversation about each topic. I had no idea it would only draw the guppies.

Ouch, that's gotta' sting!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:52 am
Re: Debunking 8 anti-war myths #3
McGentrix wrote:
The Bush Administration claimed Iraq was responsible for 9/11.

That never happened.

What did happen is that the administration sold the war on Iraq as a deterrent to terrorists and AQ.

That's the shameful part.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:21 am
Vice-President Dick Cheney, commenting on the war in Iraq, during a TV interview, September 2003.

"We will have struck a major blow right at the heart of the base, if you will, the geographic base of the terrorists who've had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11."

Right at the heart of the base? That is not linking Iraq, and 9/11....how?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3119676.stm
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:29 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Vice-President Dick Cheney, commenting on the war in Iraq, during a TV interview, September 2003.

"We will have struck a major blow right at the heart of the base, if you will, the geographic base of the terrorists who've had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11."

Right at the heart of the base? That is not linking Iraq, and 9/11....how?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3119676.stm

Read about myth #5, we can continue there as you raise an interesting point.
0 Replies