Debunking 8 anti-war myths #1

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:13 am
George Bush lied about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

This is a charge that has been repeated ad nauseum by opponents of the war, but the claim that Bush "lied" about stockpiles of WMDs doesn't hold up to the least bit of scrutiny.

Once you understand one crucial fact, that numerous prominent Democrats with access to intelligence data also openly declared and obviously believed that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, it becomes nearly impossible for a rational person to believe that Bush lied about WMDs in Iraq. We're not talking about small fry or just proponents of the war either. The aforementioned Democrats include Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry, John Edwards, Robert Byrd, Henry Waxman, Tom Daschle, and Nancy Pelosi among many, many others. Just to hammer the point home, here's a quote from the 800 pound gorilla of the Democratic Party, Hillary Clinton, that was made on Oct 8, 2002:

Quote:
"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently no evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September 11, 2001. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects American security."

To believe that George Bush lied about WMDs is to believe that there is a vast conspiracy to lie about WMDs that goes to the highest level of both parties & that stretches across both the pro and anti-war movements.

It's just not possible -- and that's before we even consider the numerous other pieces of exculpating evidence like: all the non-American intelligence agencies that also believed Saddam had WMDs, CIA Director George Tenet famously saying it was a "'slam-dunk' that Hussein possessed the banned weapons", the once secret Downing Street Memo which certainly proves that our allies in Britain believed Saddam had WMDs...

Quote:
"For instance, what were the consequences, if Saddam used WMD on day one, or if Baghdad did not collapse and urban warfighting began? You said that Saddam could also use his WMD on Kuwait. Or on Israel, added the Defence Secretary."

...and of course, that we did find warheads designed to carry chemical warfare agents and artillery shells filled with mustard gas & sarin (even though they were small in number and weren't recently made).

When you add it all up, it appears that George Bush, like a lot of other people, was wrong about Saddam Hussein having stockpiles of WMDs. But without question, he did not lie about it.

Source for lie #1 including links
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 601 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:52 am
Jeez, thanks for f*cking up the page with a bunch of posts which all should be one post.

Great work there

But don't worry, Rove's investigation will reveal a lot of the truth, lol

Cycloptichron
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:06 am
Huh. For a second there I thought somebody was going to actually start a discussion on one of the eight myths regarding the anti-war movement... Then I opened the thread and discovered that I was wrong. It was just another bitter liberal who finds him/herself incapable of countering the argument posted. Instead, you have added nothing and attempted to steer the thread in a different direction.

Very typical of you these days Cycloptihorn.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:08 am
I'm just not interested in either your Straw Man or your false Patriotism today, McG.

This kind of crap is typical of you, as well.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

RichNDanaPoint

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:21 am
It seems McGentrix has managed to spam the entire board with his ludicrous ramblings.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:24 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm just not interested in either your Straw Man or your false Patriotism today, McG.

This kind of crap is typical of you, as well.

Cycloptichorn

Then why did you respond at all?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:28 am
RichNDanaPoint wrote:
It seems McGentrix has managed to spam the entire board with his ludicrous ramblings.

Laughing Really? What do you call your second post on this site?

Oh, yeah ... welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:49 am
Quote:
To believe that George Bush lied about WMDs is to believe that there is a vast conspiracy to lie about WMDs that goes to the highest level of both parties & that stretches across both the pro and anti-war movements.

It's just not possible

This is the definitive proof that he didn't lie? I'm not sure that the first sentence is at all evident.

BTW, just what is this anti-war movement you speak of and what's your beef with them, that they don't like war?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:36 pm
If it is a myth then prove beyond a reasonable doubt that GWBush has never told a single lie about WMD.

:wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 01:22 pm
parados wrote:
If it is a myth then prove beyond a reasonable doubt that GWBush has never told a single lie about WMD.

Ahh, the criminal law standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt .... relatively difficult to prove. And of course, those doing the accusing are the ones who bear the burden of proof. Therefore, if that be the standard of proof we are going to use, you must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Bush did lie about WMD.

0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 12:24 am
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread153343/pg1

This stuff is all over the place. What is this? It's spreading like a virulent meme on all the right wing nutbar sites verbatim. I mean I don't mind the odd cut and paste and a bit of a discussion but I feel like the Right is sending out its cyberstormtroopers to bludgeon me.

Jeepers talk about 'All your base are belong to us" Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies