a Democratic blowout, a big Biden victory and a brand new electoral map

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2020 09:20 am
"Blowout, "big victory" and "brand new map" - all the three are started with "b": Do you think if it is the alliteration - a rhetorical device being used here?

What the president did — and did from inside the White House itself rather than from a neutral site — was not the act of a confident leader. Instead it was a sign of the desperation he must feel as he watches his presidency on the brink. In reality, he stands in a better position than many of the polls had suggested ahead of the election. There was talk of a Democratic blowout, a big Biden victory and a brand new electoral map.

Source: Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-has-attacked-democracys-institutions-but-never-so-blatantly-as-he-did-overnight/2020/11/04/ba0acc3a-1e7e-11eb-ba21-f2f001f0554b_story.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 820 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
InfraBlue
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2020 11:22 am
@oristarA,
No, these things happen inadvertently, especially with puns and rhyming words. After they're uttered, people will often be surprised by them because they were unintentional.
0 Replies

ander111

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 01:56 am
@oristarA,
oristarA > "Blowout, "big victory" and "brand new map" - all the three are started with "b": Do you think if it is the alliteration - a rhetorical device being used here?

It's hard to say. You noticed it, so it may have been intentional.

Some writers enjoy the intellectual challenge of alliteration. I've known people who've become very good at doing it on-the-fly. It's a good brain exercise, and encourages the enlargement of one's vocabulary. And it's just fun to do—and for most people, such as we word nerds, fun to hear.
0 Replies