I’m going to be going to Iowa

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2020 09:00 am
Does "I’m going to be going to Iowa" mean "I'm ready to be going to Iowa"?

“I’m going to be going to Iowa, be going to Wisconsin, I’m going to Georgia, I’m going to Florida and maybe other places as well,” Joe Biden said during a stop at a voter center in Chester, Pennsylvania.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 993 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
maxdancona
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2020 10:24 am
@oristarA,
No.

" I am going to eat. " is just a form of future tense. It is equivalent to saying "I will eat". There is a slight difference in tone, the first sounds a bit more intentional. But they are both statements of things that will happen in the future.

"I am going to be going...." is the same idea. The only confusion is that the first "going" is the idiomatic future tense (same as above). The second is the verb "to go".
roger

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2020 10:54 am
@maxdancona,
Thanks. So many things I understand but can't really explain.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2020 10:58 am
@maxdancona,
If so,why not simply "I’m going to Iowa"? Does repeating "going" serve as an emphasis?
roger

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2020 11:01 am
@oristarA,
But the speaker is not going to Iowa now. He will be going in the future.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2020 11:24 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

If so,why not simply "I’m going to Iowa"? Does repeating "going" serve as an emphasis?

He could simply say "I will be going to Iowa." Or (even more simply) "I will go to Iowa".

Saying "I am going to Iowa" is informal (it can either be future or something you are doing right now". It isn't wrong and I would interpret it based on the context. If you are sitting at a desk and say "I am going to Disney World"... I will assume you mean the future. It isn't wrong.

0 Replies

ander111

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 02:30 am
@oristarA,
It sounds like a humourous use of unnecessary words. "I'm going to Iowa" can mean you're going immediately, or that you have plans to go—so "going to be" isn't necessary. It's a play on different conjugations of the same verb:

"going to be" (future tense)

"going to" (present tense, when it eventually happens)
0 Replies