Halliburton contract increased & extended

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:53 pm
Halliburton contract extended

Questions surround the firm's accounting, even as the Army orders $5 billion in services.

By Griff Witte / Washington Post

WASHINGTON -- The Army has ordered nearly $5 billion in work from Halliburton Co. to provide logistics support to U.S. troops in Iraq over the next year, $1 billion above what the Army paid for similar services the previous year.

The new order, which comes despite lingering questions about the company's billing, replaces an earlier agreement that expired in June 2004, but had been extended through this spring to ensure a continuous supply of food, sanitation, laundry and other logistical services for the troops, said Linda K. Theis, an Army spokeswoman.

The new order does not change the nature of Halliburton's work, but the higher price tag does reflect the growing demand for the company's services as U.S. forces continue to battle a stubborn insurgency two years after the fall of Saddam Hussein.

Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root has received more money from the U.S. involvement in Iraq than any other contractor. The company has been a lightning rod for criticism by those who think the company's high-level connections -- most notably its former chief executive, Dick Cheney, who is now vice president -- may have given it undue influence.

Under the Army's previous order for logistics support, Halliburton was paid $6.3 billion for work during the first two years of the occupation, including $3.98 billion between the beginning of May 2004 and the end of May 2005. Under the new deal, Halliburton will receive $4.97 billion to support U.S. troops in Iraq until May 2006.

Both orders stem from a 10-year contract known as LOGCAP, which KBR won in a competitive bid in 2001. As of the beginning of June, the Army had obligated nearly $12 billion to the company under the logistic contract, the vast majority of it for work in Iraq.

The new order took effect two months ago, but was made public. Theis, the U.S. Army Field Support Command spokeswoman, said there was "not a conscious decision" to keep the new deal quiet, but that her office had simply been too busy with other news.

Rep. Henry A. Waxman, D-Calif., a vocal critic of Halliburton, said the Army shouldn't be giving the company orders for more work at the same time it's citing the company for unreasonable bills.

"The accountability vacuum at the Defense Department is costing the taxpayer dearly," Waxman said in a statement.

The Pentagon last week confirmed a report by congressional Democrats that said the Defense Contract Audit Agency has questioned more than $1 billion of Halliburton's bills for work in Iraq under LOGCAP and an energy contract called Restore Iraqi Oil. Among the costs questioned were $152,000 for movie rentals, $1.5 million for tailoring and two multimillion-dollar transportation bills that appeared to overlap.

Pentagon spokeswoman Lt. Col. Rose-Ann L. Lynch said the questioned costs are not necessarily overcharges and that contracting officials have either resolved or are in the process of resolving most of the discrepancies.

SOURCE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,604 • Replies: 21
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:00 am
What other companies could have provided the same services for lower cost?
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:18 pm
Never thought I'd need to use this again.

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/2593/headbang4ui.gif
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:00 pm
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha-Halliburton, laughing their guts out at the American taxpayer.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:45 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha-Halliburton, laughing their guts out at the American taxpayer.

woiyo question still stands. Who else can get the job done.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:47 pm
Baldimo wrote:
goodfielder wrote:

Dunno - I haven't seen the tenders. There was a call for competitive tenders I take it?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:55 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
goodfielder wrote:

Dunno - I haven't seen the tenders. There was a call for competitive tenders I take it?

In the mean time while the govt looks for a new contract what are the troops to do?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:00 am
This is your answer?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 06:09 am
JustanObserver wrote:
Never thought I'd need to use this again.

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/2593/headbang4ui.gif

If you do not know the answer, just say so. No reason to bang your head.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 06:19 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
This is your answer?

That's valuable!

Maybe you can help the poor soul so he stops knocking whats left of his brain around.

Do you know of any other firm that that can do the same job for less?

If so, did they bid on the job??
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 06:52 am
So there were tenders?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:51 am
woiyo wrote:

Maybe you can help the poor soul so he stops knocking whats left of his brain around.

Do you know of any other firm that that can do the same job for less?

If so, did they bid on the job??

Obviously I got something wrong with my responsem since it was thaught to re-question Baldimo's.

So I join goodfielder:

So there were tenders?
0 Replies

Scorpia

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:39 am
So, you can be as corrupt as you want as long as you're the low bidder?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:34 pm
Transparency in this matter would be helpful though, dont you think?

Quosh the Cheney rumours maybe?

Surely with your freedom of information, and the expert researchers that frequent A2K, somebody would have provided evidence of tenders by now?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 01:29 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Surely with your freedom of information, and the expert researchers that frequent A2K, somebody would have provided evidence of tenders by now?

I'm no expert at all, but know some sites who know a bit more :wink:
But even those - e.g. "10,000,000 articles, not found on any other search engine" - brought up no result.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:16 pm
woiyo wrote:
If you do not know the answer, just say so. No reason to bang your head.

Look to Scorpio's reply if you want to try and get the point. No point in even wasting time to explain it, really. I've met people like you.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:52 pm
Scorpia wrote:
So, you can be as corrupt as you want as long as you're the low bidder?

Nope. But if you tendered with others and you won you can be damn sure your competitors are watching you even if the govt isn't or won't (for whatever reason) do so.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 11:28 am
Ive seen iraqi contractors interviewed who said they could not get into the area they needed to to put a bid on the job. im a construction worker.Its kind of pointless to have an open bid on a job if nobody knows where to go or cant get in.Iraqi contractors could have supplied cheap Iraqi labor as opposed to Halliburtons extremely inflated cost.Know we take money from the rebuilding and pay personel to provide security for rebuilding compounding the cost.Employing Iraqis to rebuild there own would boost moral,improve relations between the Iraqi people and americans and an iraqi man is less likely to join an insurgency if hes going to work,feeding his family and rebuilding his new country.It would have been a win,win,win situation.cheaper for american tax payers.Improve relations with Iraqi people,rebuild Iraq with less death and complication.But then what of haliburtons stock
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 11:28 pm
I'm definately not as well versed in the Halliburton issue as many of you here may be, but I was told by a friend that Halliburton is the best and does the best work in the areas that they were contracted to do.
Bid or no bid, Cheney's company or not, I was told that Halliburton was the company to have in there.
It was just unfortunate that Cheney was head honcho (alneit coincidental).

Any confirmation about Halliburton's cerdentials in this matter?
I haven't spent much time researching the assertion.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 07:09 pm
look how little people visit this thread.the underlying purpose of the war
0 Replies