Media Coverage of the War ???

husker

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 10:34 am
What are your thoughts and opinions of the Media war coverage?
What do you think about almost instant access to where the war is going on? (is it positive or negative to society)
Do you watch or take a peek at CNN or other networks or radio programs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,245 • Replies: 25
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 11:19 am
i listen and/or watch BBC only
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 12:53 pm
From a Dutch TV report on commercial RTL just now:

-->A journalist needs to be objective, but in America, not right now. Especially CNN almost seems like a state broadcaster at the moment. American flags fly in sometimes six places at a time in the decor. Pentagon experts are continually on the CNN screen, while a commentator from Al-Jazeera is cut short after twenty seconds.

US television stations have collectively submitted to the administration's request not to broadcast the footage of American POWs, though close-up images of surrendering Iraqi soldiers is repeated. The BBC did broadcast the footage. Meanwhile we can watch US tanks roll through the desert for hours on end. "Embedded" reporters travel along with the troops and report from the front: <excerpt from reportage of journalist saying:> "We are about as one with these forces as you can possibly be".<--
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 12:56 pm
Dys
is BBC radio on the net?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 12:58 pm
Great Comment

Quote:
A journalist needs to be objective, but in America, not right now. Especially CNN almost seems like a state broadcaster at the moment.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 01:28 pm
Item on Dutch public broadcaster NOS's 8 o'clock news:

(typing while they talked, so only approximate excerpts)

"[Anchorman:] The American Senatro Johnson already said it in WW1, and it seems it is still true: "truth is the first victim of war". [..]

[Reporter:] [..] Viewers in Europe and the Middle East yesterday could see images of American POWs. But viewers in America did not or hardly get to see these images. Because minister Rumsfeld has asked the media to refrain from broadcasting.

And thus most of the American media does self-censorship. Loyalty to the flag overrides the journalistic mission. [..] The new openness in the desert is mere appearance. The US army controls the satellite connections. What we see is mostly tough brave soldiers posturing in the desert. [..]

And when people do speak up in the media, they are cut off [footage of Oscar-winner Michael Moore lambasting the war and being drowned out by the music that's quickly turned up].

The Oscar for most open journalism would go to CNN. This afternoon they reported live from a field hospital. <footage of reporter: "behind me you see surgery takling place">. A bit of M|A|S|H, a bit of Big Brother. Reality TV in war times [..]

CBS-commentator (about the agreement to not broadcast the Al-Jazeera material): "It's disgraceful. I think it's another example of cow-towing to the administration." [..]

Yet in the US [voice of US correspondent], this is largely not seen as self-censorship. It works differently here. NBC/ABC (??) news, for example, has a nightly part called "The Bravest Heroes of the War" (??). You can see a big photo wall; viewers can send in photos of people who went to the Gulf as a soldier. Here we would see that as propoaganda, but in America it is not seeen as such. [..]"
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 02:14 pm
(To Husker http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/)

The main issue with any media overage is its effects on the progress of the action (a) from a control point of view for either side and (b) from a political/motivational point of view.

I have some sympathy with a concept of censorship in time of war since information like any other weapon can fall into the "wrong hands". It is obvious for example that the Iraqis will move more towards guerilla tactics if the media report the relative success of such a move. No doubt there are many levels of disinformation and propoganda that are being deliberately operated at this time and it is interesting that the BBC has a reputation for "lack of bias". However this probably a result of caution on their part which could be viewed as a form of censorship by delay.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 02:22 pm
i have always been endeared to the BBC since the time Churchill accused them of aiding the enemy by broadcasting the truth.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 02:34 pm
Winston Churchill had no love for the BBC in the beginning. He called it "the enemy within the gates". Churchill found the BBC did have its uses. Many of his most famous wartime speeches went out on the radio, including "This was their finest hour..." in the summer of 1940. He spoke to France too. "Francais! Prenez garde, c'est moi, Churchill, qui vous parle," he barked.
The BBC emerged from the war with an enhanced reputation as a news broadcaster, particularly among listeners to the BBC's wartime radio services in the occupied countries. The Ici Londres broadcasts proved vital in passing messages to the French Resistance.
Dr Josef Goebbels, Hitler's master of propaganda, was said to have admitted that BBC Radio had won the "intellectual invasion" of Europe.
An honest free press, over the long run, insures freedom inspite of its inherent flaws.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 03:53 pm
Cannot get the stink'n Realplayer to work via the firewall! rats
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 04:17 pm
Husker- I have Realplayer and it works even with my Zone Alarm Pro. But I had to blow away my Windows Media Player 6. Obviously the two don't get along well with one another!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 04:52 pm
How utterly DESENSITIZED to all human feeling must people be
to willingly - addictively - watch what they laughingly refer to
as "The War Movie"?
I suppose that the TV show "Survival" just wasn't quite realistic
enough for the public's palate. What could possibly come next?
I am breathless in anticipation. I am sickened to the very core
of my being. THIS is all that we have been capable of evolving
into after so many years. We do not learn from history... so
history repeats itself, over and over and over.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 04:55 pm
Phoenix
at home no problem in the office our firewall - is nearly impossible, for sure to get out on a lot of sites.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 04:56 pm
babs
it's hard to get away from our history and sad about the history we're making
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 05:25 pm
Thanks, babs. This really does look like one of those reality shows. CNN - all war. all the time. Some interesting bits with them - earlier I had seen a pix of Iraqis gathered around two helmets, with a helicopter in the background. The Iraqis were laughing and waving their arms, and pointing to the helmets. Later cuts showed only the Iraqis gathered around the helmets.

America, the land of the uncensored and freedom of press.

I wonder, if Al Jazeera weren't on the scene to mess up the carefully arranged media presentations what would we be seeing? Not that I think they might........but if anyone were to think of planting evidence, or showing doctored pix ...at least Al Jazeera is there to show or dispute. And what have we come to, to say that not accepting the carefully manicured version of the news as presented by the White House is unpatriotic? Maybe it's against the Geneva Convention?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 06:54 pm
NRC Handelsblad, 25.03
Joris Luyendijk
[commentary on how it is to be bombed like the Iraqis now are - the correspondent himself having experienced it in Gaza - and on what the media won't show you about it]

Quote:
[..] That's what I find most conspicuously missing in the media these days. Images of little children who crawl away in a corner in mortified fear, who try to kick and hit their parents, hysterically, because they're all confused [..]. We don't see that kind of images. Not on CNN but neither at Al-Jazeera or other Arab channels. Because they keep to the Arabic taboo on showing vulnerability and sadness, and report only about the "heroic resolve of the Iraqi people".

The graphic departments of the Western media meanwhile excell in making maps and representations that transform the region into a kind of Risk board. Little plane here, little boat there. And a yellow/red star represents the blast. For minutes we see through computer animations how the newest type of Stealth-bomber can duck the radar. Look how smart we are, those films seem to say. We can now make a rocket that after flying 400 miles can find the targeted toilet window without fail, fly through it and inside to the left up the stairs, and then boom.

But then show what that 'boom' is like, for example with the clusterbombs and 'daisy cutters'. The latter create an air pressure blast that makes people die without you seeing anything visible about their appearance - except for the gush of blood suddenly coming from their ears. Show how American snipers have such good guns and binoculars that they can shoot dead Iraqi soldiers without them ever knowing any American had been nearby [..]

This is what I learned, at least, in Gaza. The term 'clean war' really belongs to the category of 'pregnant virgin' and 'democratic dictator'.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 07:57 pm
Trouw, 25.03
"Dead Iraqi soldiers are taboo"
By Judit Neurink

Quote:
AMSTERDAM - The American and British casualties are counted when they fall - but about the number of deaths on the Iraqi side one can only guess. Where on the American/British side the counter is now at 29, on the Iraqi side it must run into the hundreds.

An American reporter describes how an infantery division he is travelling with, near Najaf encounters a [kolonne] of thirty Iraqi vehicles. Low-flying A-10 Thunderbolts fire one by one at the vehicles. After that B-52 bombers arrive, assailing the Iraqi infantery.

Shortly after the reporter walks through the black, still smouldering wreckages, and past the many Iraqi bodies scattered over the road. He doesn't, however, make note of the exact number of casulaties. He does quote an American commander, who concludes that "this wasn't even a fair fight. When you play football at home, 3-2 is a good score, but here it's 119-0".

TV-images show how in Umm Kasr British troops fire direct hits at dozens of Guardists. [..] Nowhere it is mentioned how many Iraqi soldiers died in that.

In Basra the thousands of soldiers and guardists in the city were shelled with bombs. The only consequence known of that, reached the outside world via the satellite station Al-Jazeera. The shocking images of the little head, split open, of a 12-year old Iraqi child were accompanied by the statement of the Iraqi minister of Information Al-Sahaf that American clusterbombs had killed 77 civilians, and had injured 366.

The same minister yesterday stated that in the last 24 hours 62 Iraqis had been killed, and 400 injured. Those figures need to be taken with a grain of salt, because the regime, for propaganda reasons, only mentions the civilian casualties.

On the other side the journalists who are 'embedded' in the American or British troops - who thus pull up with them and are informed by them - also give little information about Iraqi casualties. They don't seem to get the chance to count them or report about them. Because the story does not go down well in the Arab world [..]
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 09:55 pm
Methinks it is something far worse than history.
What has happened to our global community
desiring world peace?
Wasn't the UN created for the solving
(albeit a lengthy process) of such issues?
I AM most truly quite serious, and made ill by
people that I know - who are glued to their
mindless box, ie. TV, addicted to the WAR
SHOW, and then believing whatever they
hear to be TRUTH, when all slightly educated
individuals know better!!
old saying:
"It's best to believe half of what you SEE
(for you do not know or see the whole story)
and believe NOTHING that you hear."
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:27 pm
babs wrote:
Quote:
What has happened to our global community
desiring world peace?
Wasn't the UN created for the solving
(albeit a lengthy process) of such issues?

Quote:
and then believing whatever they
hear to be TRUTH, when all slightly educated
individuals know better!!

I believe that even you are not immune, babs.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:01 pm
In what way do you mean Max?
I'm not immune to what? I am not following what
you are saying, for some reason that will no doubt
turn out to be ego driven on my part.
0 Replies