South America, Future US Target?

frolic

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 05:12 am
According to analysts and several sources in the region, the new Washington's preventive war doctrine could be soon deployed in South America. The CIA and the Pentagon have two known targets and are currently working on them: Colombia and the "Triple Border" between Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay.

While Colombia's 40 years civil war is an example of an unresolved internal conflict, the "Triple Border" could have international repercussion. However, no matter the case, White House Hawks see terrorists where they aren't.

As for the situation in Colombia, even when some means used by the marxist rebel groups operating in the country could sound similar to the one used by terrorists, the history of the conflict says something different. The Revolutionary Armed Force of Colombia (FARC) and the National Army of Liberation (ELN) have more to do with the Cold War years than to the current global scenario.

FARC forces born as a reaction of impoverished farmers against the exploitation of landowners. The Communist Party of Colombia firstly organized this armed group to establish a Soviet style state in the country. Then, poor farmers joined FARC's and ELN's armies after local authorities banned coca crops production, main source of incomes for them.

Now, Washington says the FARC's and the ELN's are terrorists linked to the narcotraffic. At the same time, the current right wing Government of Alvaro Uribe, fails on its no-negotiation policy and claims for a US military intervention into its own country "similar to the one in Iraq". Perhaps, Mr. Uribe wants to see Bogota as destroyed, as it is Baghdad today.

Despite of the lack of evidence about terrorist activity found in the "Triple Border", Washington insists on the existence of a terrorism sanctuary in the small area that joins Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay. Neither Brazil's intelligence services nor Argentina ones found any sort of signal about the presence of al-Qaida members operating in the region. The CIA says yes.

In an operation in Afghanistan the US army said that found a picture of the Iguazu Falls, the amazing tourist attraction nearby the region. For them, this is enough to say that Osama Bin Laden or other al-Qaida members were there and to ignore detailed and full reports from South America on the negative.

The area, a profitable black market and money-laundering place for US based international banks, is alleged to host several Middle Eastern terrorist groups camouflaged among the large Arab community that has lived in peace for decades. Again, no evidence of this has been found either by governmental offices or independent researches.

All in all, there is something clear: as long as Mercosur countries keep on approaching economically and politically to Europe rumors about terrorist activities inside the block will increase. As per Colombia, Washington already has over 400 troops operating within the country. It is only a matter of time to see a larger force "securing" nation's natural resources.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,367 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 05:23 am
Future? Is South America not a traditional target of the USA's?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:00 am
South America was a target of another continent (E-).
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:01 am
E- has been rich owing to gold from South America.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:10 am
The base structure of modernization of E- was wealth from South America.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:11 am
Is E- missing it?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:27 am
Exploitation but no investment was their (E-'s) way. What a difference of the sight between North America and South America as the result.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 10:37 am
satts,

Another big difference is that S.A. was not colonized by pilgrims.

frolic,

I have crossed those borders, I didn't see any terrorism either. My point is that I had about as much of a chance of seeing it as Brazilian Intel (which is not very competent).

At the Ponte de Amizade (Bridge of Friendship) there is little impediment to smuggling anything one desires. Walking across this bridge I saw that the overwhelming majority of the traffic was contraband. That usually just means people smuggling fake items ("Somy", "Rollexx") from Paraguay into Brazil. If one wants to ensure a greater chance of getting one's goods across without nosy inspections it's always possible to use a boat to cross the river. You can do it right next to the bridge, it doesn't matter if the authorities see you, what matters is that they are not staffed well enough to make a walk down to the riverbank each time a boat is crossing practical.

Now as to the terrorist connection I rate it as unlikely that it is substantial but likely that traces existed. In the reports I have read about the 3 border Al Quaida connection mention was made to Al Quaida's use of the boarder for the same motivation as everyone else, smuggling. Not arms, or drugs or anything romantic. But rather fake CDs. They purportedly used them to raise funds.

Now I can't speak as to the veracity of those claims but the allegation obviously is based on more than a photograph of Foz de Iguacu. It could be a complete lie, but if it is the stated evidence is more than a photo.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 07:26 pm
Really!
South America is not a priority of the American administration, since at least 1988.
Terrorist links in the triple border? Com'on.

There is certainly US involvement in Colombia, which has tended, in fact, not to erradicate drug traffic, but to make the country more difficult to govern (and thus, to help drug traffickers).
FARC and ELN hold some parts of the country by fear. In others, they resort to terrorist actions (such as the recent bombing in Bogotá). The army and the "white guards" (right-wing irregulars) account for fear in other parts of the country.
Now, to consider Colombia a target for invasion is way too much, since the government is pro-US and still controls, by far, most of the territory and the people.

Venezuela could be a potential target, but democratic opposition to Chávez is putting the government on check, and preventing it from further radicalization.
A friend who visited the country recently summarized the situation as follows: 70% of the populace are against Chávez, most of them hard-line. The remaining 30% is pro-Chávez, even more hard-line, and are the ones who have nothing to loose.
The US and several other Latin American Countries -most notably Mexico and Brazil- founded the group Friends of Venezuela, who has lobbied, successfully, so far, to prevent a possible civil war.
From what I see, the US is acting in Venezuela very differently than, for example, when it helped General Augusto Pinochet assasinate democratically elected President Salvador Allende of Chile, and install a right-wing military dictatorship.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 07:46 pm
I don't think the US has any intention to invade. The issue of Al Quaida in the 3 border area is an old one that surfaced soon after the 9/11 attacks. It got little play and everyone gave the impression that it was not a big deal. It, in my opinion (based on the limited reports I read about this a long time ago), was comparable to the cigarette smuggling operation across state borders in the US. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the "terrorist activity" was anything other than small fry.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 07:48 pm
Take a world map. Cut out the USA. Take the remaining map and put it on the wall. Throw a dart. Where did it land?

That is a future target of the present administration.

What a cool game!!!! You can't lose!!!! :wink:
0 Replies