Poll: Have you ever made and tried a McWhopper?

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 11:03 pm
Hi. Back in December 2019, during the holiday season some time between Christmas and New Year's, I decided one evening to stop by my nearby local McDonald's restaurant and nearby local Burger King restaurant because I wanted to make and try my own "McWhopper".

Back in 2015, Burger King made a proposal to collaborate with McDonald's to make a "McWhopper" sandwich for Peace Day 2015:

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/companies-markets/burger-king-to-arch-rival-mcdonalds-lets-make-a-mcwhopper
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2015/08/26/burger-king-mcdonalds/amp/
https://adage.com/creativity/work/mcwhopper/43095
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2015/08/26/business/media/burger-king-to-mcdonalds-lets-make-a-mcwhopper.amp.html

However the CEO of McDonald's declined Burger King's proposal:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna416296

and Burger King's plan to make the McWhopper a reality and have the sandwich sold on Peace Day 2015 never came into fruition.

This didn't stop people from making their own McWhoppers. People made and tried them and posted their critiques about them online. There are recipes you can follow for making one online.

I wanted to know what all the hype regarding the McWhopper was about and if a McWhopper would have been worth getting so I decided to make one and try it. The sandwich is an amalgam of Big Mac and the Whopper. I followed a recipe on how to make one online:

It's not hard to make - you take the top bun off the Whopper, take the top portion of the Big Mac off that starts with the top bun and ends with the middle bun and put it on top of the Whopper. You're replacing the top bun of the Whopper with the top portion of the Big Mac.

I ate the McWhopper and was pleasantly surprised. The elements of both sandwiches blend well together. I combined the leftover portions of the Big Mac and Whopper into another sandwich and ate that too.

I don't recommend making McWhoppers often. A Big Mac and a Whopper both cost over $4 which is expensive. Someone at my nearby local Burger King was nice enough to buy a Whopper sandwich for me.

I don't normally eat sandwiches from either McDonald's and BK. Trying a McWhopper was one of these I-can't-say-I-never-did-it things. This was a one-time thing.

Their sandwiches aren't really that healthy - I did research on the ingredients and nutritional content of them.

Have you ever made and tried one?

I'm curious. Please let me know. Thank you.

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 11:24 pm
I first learned about the McWhopper campaign back in 2015. I don't remember how I found out about it, I think I discovered it by accident.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 08:03 am
I know what I posted about is trivial. I know people are more concerned about what's going on regarding Covid-19,

but why is no one else responding to this thread?

I was trying to break the ice by posting a thread about something lighthearted.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 08:20 am
Did I ruin my own thread by stating McDonald's and Burger King sandwiches aren't really that healthy?
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 08:34 am
@JGoldman10,
Probably because you're demanding people respond, and this:

Wikipedia Article wrote:
Burger King's McWhopper proposal

On August 26, 2015, Burger King released an open letter to McDonald's proposing a joint promotion for Peace Day called the "McWhopper", a combination of the two restaurants' signature burgers.[17] The overture was rejected by McDonald's,[18] a response that drew mostly criticism for its tone and the sense of a missed opportunity. Despite the missed opportunity, President Barack Obama declared it a breaking point in the "Fight for $15" movement, reportedly saying that the "McWhopper" was an example of how American fast food corporations can learn to unite for a common cause, and he hoped it could be further utilized as a springboard in raising the minimum wage for uneducated fast food workers[citation needed]. McDonald's later released a commercial directed by comic filmmaker Mel Brooks to much critical acclaim[citation needed], showcasing the charitable efforts of characters Ronald McDonald and the Hamburglar along with the promised effort to renew the "Fight for $15".[19][20]

On September 1, 2015, Burger King announced that they had been approached by representatives from Denny's, Wayback Burgers, Krystal, and Giraffas about partnering on a similar project. Burger King then announced the "Peace Day Burger", which would feature ingredients from all five restaurants' burgers.

Source

...and the fact they are both arch rivals in the "burger business".
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 08:45 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I first learned about the McWhopper campaign back in 2015. I don't remember how I found out about it, I think I discovered it by accident.

They're two competing global franchises with little or no love for each other. McWhoppers are ... a weird real-world meme that didn't really explode into superpopularity. It was just a one-sided marketing gimmick.

What I learned from this video and beyond.
1. They're a whopping 1240 calories (half a days worth of calories)
a. almost a days' worth of sodium
b. an entire day's worth of saturated fat.
2. That's a lot of work - to travel to two separate fast food joints fast enough to make sure that the first burger isn't cold and soggy before making the hybrid.
3. Ultimately, it's meh (according to Brad from the video).

The takeaway? Definitely not worth the time, the money. and the wasted calories.

And don't get angry when someone doesn't respond to a very niche 5-year-old internet trend that died rather quickly after its brief peak online.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 08:50 am
@justaguy2,
I know about the proposal, but that's not what the thread is about. I know the history of this proposal and the deal with the McWhopper - I watched videos and read articles all about this back in 2015.

I'm asking if anyone ever tried and made their own McWhopper.

Have you ever done that?
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 08:52 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm asking if anyone ever tried and made their own McWhopper.

Have you ever done that?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 09:01 am
@JGoldman10,
If you read my bullet list? What do you think? Of course, I didn't try one. It doesn't seem worth it. I suspect that there isn't a single active member of a2k that has tried one. I haven't been to McDonald's in years. I mean ... if I did happen to find myself there and with the rare chance getting a Big Mac (beyond my preferred McFishy or whatever it's called)? I wouldn't ruin it with a Whopper. And vice versa. I wouldn't waste a perfectly good Whopper if I find myself at a BK (and not getting a spicy chicken sandwich).

It'd be a waste of money and spoil two separate decent burgers. I hate wasting food which would be what you have to do with some of the bun, etc... make this Frankenburger.
justaguy2

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 09:06 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes, I know what the "thread is about" - I was pointing out the fact it was nothing but a stunt on Burger King's part, and that's why it was doomed to failure. As tsarstepan points out, even the name "McWhopper" sounds nonsensical in itself. They may as well have proposed "McBullshit" instead...

And while we are on the subject, the last time I had a burger from McDonalds, it tasted like they dragged it along the floor before putting the pattie on their hotplate. Ever since, I haven't been game to go back for another burger at McDonalds.

In answer to your question; no, I've never tried to make a "McWhopper", but I have made my own burgers before, even the pattie myself.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 09:07 am
@tsarstepan,
Okay. A simple "no" would have sufficed.

Lol "McFishy"? It's called a Filet-O-Fish.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 09:10 am
@justaguy2,
I never realized how similar-tasting a Big Mac and Whopper were until I made and ate a McWhopper.

I haven't eaten a Big Mac or a Whopper in years.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 09:16 am
@justaguy2,
I prefer eating sandwiches from Wendy's. Wendy's food is relatively healthier than food from McDonald's and Burger King anyway.

If I go to McDonald's or Burger King I would order a salad.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 09:20 am
They say Burger King's sandwiches are healthier than McDonald's sandwiches because Burger King flame broils their burger patties.

BK sandwiches are somewhat kind of nasty-tasting to me to be honest. I guess it's an acquired taste.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 09:26 am
@justaguy2,
Everyone knows BK and McDonald's are fast food rivals. Children know this.

Over the past couple of years they've been pulling public stunts and running ad campaigns to troll with other with. They troll each other on social media.

Wendy's even makes jabs at them on social media.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 02:05 pm
Tsar and Just did you guys ever see this?:

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 02:13 pm
@justaguy2,
I was not demanding anything. I just wanted to know why others weren't responding to my thread.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2020 08:31 am
@justaguy2,
You have two sandwiches - Big Mac and Whopper. If you were going to amalgamate the names of the two sandwiches for an amalgam of the two sandwiches what would you call it?.

"MacWhopper" or "McWhopper" are the only names that come to mind and the only ones that seems to fit.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2020 08:33 am
@justaguy2,
Would you have wanted to try a McWhopper?
justaguy2

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2020 09:34 am
@JGoldman10,
No, why would I?

The fact nobody else has replied, coupled with what tsarstepan and myself have already said, should be a big clue that it's a fair bet nobody else here has tried one, nor has any interest in trying one.

It was a stunt, that's it. Why keep carrying on about it?