Women Empowerment as Central Message in Film or TV

Tue 8 Sep, 2020 08:24 pm
What's the best depiction of female/women empowerment as the key driving force of a given story in agenda-driven movies or TV series? What examples can be considered a failure to get their social message across? Failures to actually tell a good story?

Here's an interesting counterpoint/example in how to not properly depict such a social movement in cultural terms.

maxdancona

Tue 8 Sep, 2020 08:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvyn0FlGin3RlZWTWRFywByU7isVhnpqYkeF2JP3K1NChP1GFn

Orphan Black is my personal favorite. It has an obvious feminist message (the characters wear "The Future is Female" shirts in the story).

And yet it is a damn good story with incredibly well written characters.
Sturgis

Tue 8 Sep, 2020 10:21 pm
The television series Cagney and Lacey made an attempt at empowering women. Often times though it fell flat. Even with a sizeable crew of female writers, it kept resorting to the stereotypes and cliches of women. It was tolerable back when it originally aired, not anymore.

It airs daily on some cable stations and is currently available on Amazon Prime.
0 Replies

davidscheff

Wed 9 Sep, 2020 04:31 am
@maxdancona,
I love the film 'The Holiday' where the characters played by Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz go through different ways of getting over their past relationships.
0 Replies

jespah

Wed 9 Sep, 2020 07:01 am
@tsarstepan,
The TV show Charmed had empowered women who often saved themselves and/or men
Sturgis

Wed 9 Sep, 2020 01:33 pm
@jespah,
Yeah but they were a bunch of women what were witches! Isn't that akin to cheating at empowerment?

jespah

Wed 9 Sep, 2020 03:59 pm
@Sturgis,
If you think Wonder Woman is empowered (and I have no idea if you do), then they are, too.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 08:51 am

https://imgur.com/WJlXHyz.jpg
engineer

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 09:35 am
@tsarstepan,
The Ballad of Mulan was not about female empowerment but about the importance of family. In the ballad, Mulan is content to play the role society has assigned her but that is not as important as honoring her father. Once that task is done, she returns home and takes up her traditional role.
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 09:41 am
@tsarstepan,
One series that I thought brought up some interesting empowerment issues is GLOW about a women's wrestling show set in the 80's.

WendyDarling

Thu 22 Dec, 2022 04:28 pm
Memoirs Of A Geisha
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 22 Dec, 2022 04:39 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

One series that I thought brought up some interesting empowerment issues is GLOW about a women's wrestling show set in the 80's.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnKEoXbBTEw[/youtube]

I didn't want to watch that show, but my husband turned it on and I fell in love. What a wonderful trip that was, I wish there had been one more season but sometimes the last season is disappointing. I loved those gals ☘️
engineer

Thu 22 Dec, 2022 06:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Glad you liked it! I was hoping for a final season as well.
0 Replies