Where "Stuff Happens" Just Doesn't Cut It

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:53 am
Quote:
What Real Westerners Think About Bush's Pseudo-Cowboy Palaver. Western members of Congress, I proudly among them, were the most aggressive in the nation at sponsoring and fighting for healthcare and benefits for those veterans. From the liberal high plains Senator Tom Daschle, who created the Agent Orange Health Care Act, to the conservative southwesterner, Senator Barry Goldwater, who fought continually for both readiness and Veteran benefits, we have always said, "Thanks."

In this latest catastrophic mistake, Iraq, we continue to honor our Vets and in doing so we are appalled to learn that the Bush administration, so quick to go to war, has under calculated by five-fold the V.A. healthcare dollars needed to care for our returning injured from Iraq.

We are angered that Bush and his neo-con advisors have unnecessarily placed the lives of our sons and daughters in danger in the shooting gallery that is Iraq, angered that the President can't get help from our few remaining allies to secure the borders of Iraq and at least stem the rising tide of terrorists that are now flooding that country, furious that in response to a question from one of our soldiers about lack of life-protecting armor, Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld said dismissively, "Look, stuff happens."

Frankly, here in the West we reject Bush's silly, pseudo cowboy lingo about "chase 'em down, " "smoke 'em out of their holes, " and " get 'em dead or alive."

We resent his continual waving of the bloody shirt of September 11th.

Out our way, we know about war and we can shoot straight; what we prefer is a president who can do the same.

Pat Williams served nine terms as a U.S. Representative from Montana. After his retirement, he returned to Montana and is teaching at The University of Montana where he also serves as a Senior Fellow at the Center for the Rocky Mountain West
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,031 • Replies: 18
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:57 am
We got to head 'im off at the pass.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:51 am
I can only echo what has been said before. We the people of the US reelected the Texas clown. And are paying the price for that stupidity.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:05 am
Good quote dys;

au1929,

I have said it, I will say it again:

The current president was not elected by a fair voting majority.
I will ALWAYS believe the elections were manipulated- in favor of the Republican party.
(not trying to argue, just stating my opinion, AGAIN.)
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 05:45 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
We got to head 'im off at the pass.

"beans again ?!?!?!?"
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 09:52 am
I have often heard that the mind is the first thing to go when people retire. This is further proof of that.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 09:57 am
McGentrix wrote:
I have often heard that the mind is the first thing to go when people retire. This is further proof of that.

I can only assume this is a reference to Reagan. Yikes mcg get off his case, he's dead already!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:05 am
No, it was a reference to Pat Williams. I sense you knew that, but I'd hate to confuse anyone else through your efforts.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:15 am
McGentrix wrote:
No, it was a reference to Pat Williams. I sense you knew that, but I'd hate to confuse anyone else through your efforts.

Ok so what you meant was that 'some" republicans lose their minds when they retire. Can we further understand you to mean that Reagan, when he retired from Hollywood, lost his mind as well? That might explain his loss of memory re Irangate.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 07:32 am
McGentrix wrote:

You should go back to the Captain America costume, McG. It always pointed up so clearly just what a thinking level-headed adult you are. To me at least, I can't speak for others.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:45 am
dyslexia wrote:
Can we further understand you to mean that Reagan, when he retired from Hollywood, lost his mind as well?

or was it when he started playing footsy with mccarthy, hoover and nixon ?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 01:48 pm
theollady wrote:
Good quote dys;

au1929,

I have said it, I will say it again:

The current president was not elected by a fair voting majority.
I will ALWAYS believe the elections were manipulated- in favor of the Republican party.
(not trying to argue, just stating my opinion, AGAIN.)

So we can safely assume that only elections won by dems are fair,legal,and above board?

That tells us where you stand.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 01:52 pm
Quote:
So we can safely assume that only elections won by dems are fair,legal,and above board?

That tells us where you stand.

What, you never heard of "Landslide Lyndon"?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 06:46 pm
This is why I love a2k. It's full of classy insults Very Happy
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:49 pm
Re: Where "Stuff Happens" Just Doesn't Cut It
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
What Real Westerners Think About Bush's Pseudo-Cowboy Palaver. Western members of Congress, I proudly among them, were the most aggressive in the nation at sponsoring and fighting for healthcare and benefits for those veterans. From the liberal high plains Senator Tom Daschle, who created the Agent Orange Health Care Act, to the conservative southwesterner, Senator Barry Goldwater, who fought continually for both readiness and Veteran benefits, we have always said, "Thanks."

In this latest catastrophic mistake, Iraq, we continue to honor our Vets and in doing so we are appalled to learn that the Bush administration, so quick to go to war, has under calculated by five-fold the V.A. healthcare dollars needed to care for our returning injured from Iraq.

We are angered that Bush and his neo-con advisors have unnecessarily placed the lives of our sons and daughters in danger in the shooting gallery that is Iraq, angered that the President can't get help from our few remaining allies to secure the borders of Iraq and at least stem the rising tide of terrorists that are now flooding that country, furious that in response to a question from one of our soldiers about lack of life-protecting armor, Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld said dismissively, "Look, stuff happens."

Frankly, here in the West we reject Bush's silly, pseudo cowboy lingo about "chase 'em down, " "smoke 'em out of their holes, " and " get 'em dead or alive."

We resent his continual waving of the bloody shirt of September 11th.

Out our way, we know about war and we can shoot straight; what we prefer is a president who can do the same.

Pat Williams served nine terms as a U.S. Representative from Montana. After his retirement, he returned to Montana and is teaching at The University of Montana where he also serves as a Senior Fellow at the Center for the Rocky Mountain West

Five fold? I would like to see that in a # instead of some lame talking point. Got any info Dys?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:55 pm
There have been a couple of threads (over the past couple of years) about the under-funding of services for existing vets as well as those coming back more recently, Baldimo.

If you're questioning the terminology in the quoted article, you're probably best off contacting the writer of the article directly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:09 pm
Quote:
BUSH ADMINISTRATION CONCEDES -- AGAIN -- MORE FUNDS NEEDED FOR VETERANS' HEALTH CARE

Washington, D.C. - Less than two weeks after first telling Congress it could ride out the fiscal year with inadequate funding, then reversing and asking for$975 million in supplemental funds, the Bush Administration today admitted it needs yet another $300 million to take care of veterans' health care needs through September. The nearly $1.3 billion the Administration now admits is necessary is exactly the amount Democrats have long urged and is in line with funding recommended by a group of national veterans' organizations that annually develop and submit an independent budget view.

On June 28th every House Democrat signed a letter to the President requesting he submit a $1.3 billion supplemental funding request for fiscal year 2005. Moreover, former Veterans' Affairs Committee Chairman Chris Smith (R-NJ) and current Ranking Democratic Member Lane Evans (D-IL) were on target more than a year ago when they submitted the Committee's bipartisan views and estimates to the Budget Committee citing a need for an additional $2.5 billion over the President's fiscal year 2005 budget request. That effort fell short by $1.3 billion.

"This whole funding process has become a farce, except that it's not a laughing matter," said Evans. "The Administration had better wake up and get it right instead of relegating veterans and their needs to the lowest priority levels. Now that we've seen the wrong way to do things, I sincerely hope we're embarking on a renewed era of bipartisan collaboration to properly respond to veterans' health care needs," he added. Evans noted that it is "long past time to implement an assured funding process based on the number of veterans enrolled in the system with inflation factored in."

Despite Democratic efforts to boost the amount, the House of Representatives passed the $975 million supplemental as it adjourned for the Independence Day recess, instead of the higher - and more accurate - amount of $1.5 billion passed by the Senate. VA officials conceded today that the $975 million mark was incorrect and an additional $300 million is necessary to meet increased "intensity of utilization."

While the differing supplemental measures wait to be reconciled, more than 50,000 (and rising) veterans await health care appointments, clinical positions across the VA are not being filled, VA hospitals are deferring critical equipment purchases, there are shortages of medical supplies in some locations and the number of veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan seeking services at VA hospitals continues to rise.

http://veterans.house.gov/democratic/welcome.htm

more links through
House Committee on Veterans Affairs

http://veterans.house.gov/benefits/index.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 08:03 pm
from Disabled American Veterans

Quote:
The DAV raised the alarm earlier this year noting that VA medical facilities across the country were running out of money and face huge deficits. In April, the organization expressed its bitter disappointment that the United States Senate blocked an amendment to the $80 billion supplemental appropriation bill that would have provided $2 billion to cover the critical shortfall in funding for veterans medical care.

"Congress must now act quickly to stem the flow of red ink that threatens health care for today's veterans and thousands of men and women injured and disabled during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan," said Commander Sursely.

Under legislation passed by the House, the VA would receive a total of $68.1 billion in fiscal year 2006. VA health care funding would be $28.8 billion. The Senate has yet to act on a bill funding the VA.

"The DAV and other major veterans service organizations are united in calling on Congress to provide $31.2 billion for veterans medical care next year," said Commander Sursely.

"VA facilities in every region of the country have exhausted reserve funds to meet critical needs. Many have stopped hiring doctors and nurses because of shortfalls, while still others have cut back or even eliminated medical services. Health care for millions of today's and tomorrow's veterans is in limbo because Congress and the Administration have continually failed to adequately fund the VA," Sursely said.

http://www.dav.org/news/news_20050624.html

http://www.dav.org/default.html

from within the Veterans Affairs site about special services required for Iraq vets - new resources are being developed as the psychological effect of the invasion of Iraq has been unique in some ways - it's a different type of warfare than the U.S. has been training people for <this has been discussed with links to U.S. gov't research on other threads as well>

http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/topics/war.html

Quote:
The Iraq War Clinician Guide, 2nd Edition

Contents | Download PDF (18.5 mb)

The Iraq War Clinician Guide was developed by members of the National Center for PTSD and the Department of Defense. It was developed specifically for clinicians and addresses the unique needs of veterans of the Iraq war.

from a link at one of the threads on the topic of underfunding for Iraq veterans

Quote:

Brain injury therapy being underfunded

March 18, 2005

According to doctors at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., 60 percent of the wounded soldiers coming back from Iraq have traumatic brain injuries.

Unfortunately, the Bush administration has recently completely zeroed out funding for the Federal TBI Act, which provides exactly this kind of help.

In Vermont, due to recent decisions concerning budgetary shortfalls, TBI survivors are now prevented from entering the Vermont TBI Medicaid Waiver Program, which delivers exactly this kind of help.

link
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 08:06 pm
http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=928876#928876

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1069945#1069945

there are other threads with more numbers
0 Replies