China's relationship with US?

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 11:49 pm
I heard it was sour, true?

I heard some negative things were said by the Americans against China, true?

If not how is the relationship with China and US?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 761 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:43 pm
aIIk-wong, We are a country of 300 million people with differing backgrounds (our citizens are made up from most cultures in the world), education, religion, and political beliefs. I would say that the majority of Americans have a high regard for China and the Chinese. We may not agree with the political system of China, but that's because most Americans believe in democracy (freedom of speech, capitalism, and vote for our political leaders). I'm sure there are some Americans that may speak ill of China, but I would guess it's a very small percentage.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 12:03 am
Sorry about that I meant from a POLITICAL stand point, thanks.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 06:33 pm
In regards to the general situation, I stand with CI on what he said.

On the political side, (I think CI addressed abit of that in his post when he talked about the democracy part) but here are some common points:

- in regards to Taiwan, the USA want to assist Taiwan and protect them from any threat of war, but otherwise, the Bush admin still seems to be acknowledging a one country policy.

- in regards to the arms embargo - in a nutshell, the US are opposed (along with Japan) to the EU lifting their arms restrictions from China following the 89 Tiananmen crackdown.

- One issue about 4 years ago was the US spyplain that entered chinese territory back in 2001 - the US denied they were spying on China and China refused to return the plane until the US apologised, which they did.

Really, the US and China could get along so well, but Taiwan is the barrier to a 100% healthy relationship. I don't think that there is any other real conflict btwn these two nations.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:01 pm
Oh okay that's cool Prags it's just that when I said "negative" comments I meant that I thought Bush had a few choice words about China's human rights in regards to them holding the Olympic games in 2008.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:51 pm
Here's an excerpt from BusinessWeek magazine: ".. That will give him a role in managing China's delicate relationships, including those with Taiwan and the U.S., and in acting as a buffer to the Chinese military's often antagonistic stance toward the West.

For Jiang and Zhu, the Olympic win is sweet justification for their advocacy of a strengthened relationship with the U.S. The Bush Administration's decision not to oppose Beijing's Olympic bid eased strains that had developed in the wake of the U.S. spy plane incident in April. Soon, Beijing is expected to release several U.S. citizens charged with spying, possibly before Secretary of State Colin L. Powell's planned visit to Beijing on July 28-29. That trip will set the stage for a summit between Bush and Jiang in China in September.

Of course, even as Beijing and Washington move cautiously closer, U.S. plans for a missile defense system and Beijing's policy toward Taiwan will remain sore spots. But whatever happens, Beijing's Olympic victory will influence China's political game."

By Dexter Roberts in Beijing and Mark L. Clifford in Hong Kong, with Stan Crock in Washington
0 Replies