3
   

The best and worst depictions of people with Asperger's or Autism Spectrum?

 
 
Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2020 06:10 pm
What are the best and worst depictions of people with Asperger's or on the Autism Spectrum?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 697 • Replies: 7
No top replies

 
jespah
 
  2  
Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2020 06:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
A Change of Habit (1969)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065537/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

A little girl is referred to as autistic and Elvis "cures" her.

It's this kid: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065537/characters/nm0456516?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t14
0 Replies
 
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2020 06:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
I highly enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. The story is told from the perspective of someone with Autism. You see things through his eyes, and have to figure out what is happening from the perspective of an ordinary human being... at times he describes something in a matter of fact way that terrifies the reader.

I enjoyed it because it is a damn good story with an interesting narrator. I believe the mental health community accepted it as respectful and fairly accurate.

tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 09:42 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I highly enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. The story is told from the perspective of someone with Autism. You see things through his eyes, and have to figure out what is happening from the perspective of an ordinary human being... at times he describes something in a matter of fact way that terrifies the reader.

I enjoyed it because it is a damn good story with an interesting narrator. I believe the mental health community accepted it as respectful and fairly accurate.



That being a book that turned into a Broadway play. Most criticisms against these depictions are leveled against television and movies.

I listened to the audiobook on Audible. A worthy read.
0 Replies
 
Rebelofnj
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 10:47 am
The 2018 Predator reboot, directed by Shane Black, featured autism as "the next step in human evolution" and was a major plot point: the Predators want the DNA of an autistic child to improve their hunting skills.

As one can imagine, some people did not like this.
https://www.salon.com/2018/09/14/the-predator-just-above-mediocre-with-some-weird-and-disappointing-choices/
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 11:01 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

What are the best and worst depictions of people with Asperger's or on the Autism Spectrum?


BEST.

Edward Norton in Motherless Brooklyn.
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2020 06:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

What are the best and worst depictions of people with Asperger's or on the Autism Spectrum?


BEST.

Edward Norton in Motherless Brooklyn.

His character had Tourettes Syndrome. Pretty sure his character wasn't on the Autism Spectrum.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2020 06:47 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

What are the best and worst depictions of people with Asperger's or on the Autism Spectrum?


BEST.

Edward Norton in Motherless Brooklyn.

His character had Tourettes Syndrome. Pretty sure his character wasn't on the Autism Spectrum.


Tourettes was close enough to what you were getting at.

I gotta remember not to bother with your posts or threads, Steve. You are not a reasonable person when posting on line.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Title of Movie - Question by gollum
Iron Man 2 - Discussion by tsarstepan
Who is your favorite male actor - Discussion by Philis
Meaning of a line in a movie - Question by blackat
Raymond Hessell in Fight Club book/movie - Question by Johnspartan1981
Planning until you become old meme - Question by peterhalloway
Killing prostitute - Title of movie - Question by candyy8
Call Of The Wild - Question by Joshthedog
Movie Bad Guys. - Discussion by Kris148
 
  1. Forums
  2. » The best and worst depictions of people with Asperger's or Autism Spectrum?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/17/2021 at 11:16:35