The best and worst depictions of people with Asperger's or Autism Spectrum?

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2020 06:10 pm
What are the best and worst depictions of people with Asperger's or on the Autism Spectrum?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,218 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2020 06:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
A Change of Habit (1969)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065537/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

A little girl is referred to as autistic and Elvis "cures" her.

It's this kid: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065537/characters/nm0456516?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t14
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2020 06:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
I highly enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. The story is told from the perspective of someone with Autism. You see things through his eyes, and have to figure out what is happening from the perspective of an ordinary human being... at times he describes something in a matter of fact way that terrifies the reader.

I enjoyed it because it is a damn good story with an interesting narrator. I believe the mental health community accepted it as respectful and fairly accurate.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 09:42 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I highly enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. The story is told from the perspective of someone with Autism. You see things through his eyes, and have to figure out what is happening from the perspective of an ordinary human being... at times he describes something in a matter of fact way that terrifies the reader.

I enjoyed it because it is a damn good story with an interesting narrator. I believe the mental health community accepted it as respectful and fairly accurate.

That being a book that turned into a Broadway play. Most criticisms against these depictions are leveled against television and movies.

I listened to the audiobook on Audible. A worthy read.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 10:47 am
The 2018 Predator reboot, directed by Shane Black, featured autism as "the next step in human evolution" and was a major plot point: the Predators want the DNA of an autistic child to improve their hunting skills.

As one can imagine, some people did not like this.
https://www.salon.com/2018/09/14/the-predator-just-above-mediocre-with-some-weird-and-disappointing-choices/
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 11:01 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

What are the best and worst depictions of people with Asperger's or on the Autism Spectrum?

BEST.

Edward Norton in Motherless Brooklyn.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2020 06:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

BEST.

His character had Tourettes Syndrome. Pretty sure his character wasn't on the Autism Spectrum.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2020 06:47 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

BEST.

His character had Tourettes Syndrome. Pretty sure his character wasn't on the Autism Spectrum.

Tourettes was close enough to what you were getting at.

I gotta remember not to bother with your posts or threads, Steve. You are not a reasonable person when posting on line.
0 Replies