When it's okay with her?

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 09:25 pm
So a few years back I was working with a female c0-worker and we became pretty good friends. We argued from time to time because we were in equal positions of authority but there was always mutual respect.

Anyways.. there was a certain individual that we had to deal with on a regular basis and he would refer to her as "baby doll" or something similar(it's been long enough that I'm not sure). The first time I heard this I immediately turned in her direction to see her reaction. She just smiled and went about her business as if it was nothing.

I, of coarse was not okay at all with it and the first chance I got I asked her about it. She admitted that it bothered her a bit but that it was better for everyone if she just put up with it. She basically didn't wan't to ripple the waters because this guy was kind of our superior.

I tried to convince her that if I confronted him(witch I really wanted to) that maybe it wouldn't have the same effect, but she made it clear to me that she did not want me to. I never did. Instead I just stood by and watched her grin and bare it for the good of keeping the peace, while fantasizing about scratching his eye balls out.

We have both moved on from that company but I still think about her sometimes and wonder if I had done right by her.

I have no answer for myself. Was it the right thing to do to do nothing?

What would any of you have done?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 485 • Replies: 3
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 09:49 pm
@Alice Liddell,
Well, personally I prefer to handle things like that myself. It was probably best that you didn't interfere, but primarily because she wasn't asking you to fix it for her. You said the two of you were in equal positions of authority...she may have had her own way of dealing with it. I'm not suggesting she was ok with the "baby doll" reference.....just that she wasn't ready to make a thing out of it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 11:10 pm
@Alice Liddell,
Just the fact that it bothered you was enough grounds for a complaint.
0 Replies

kyliebees

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2021 10:14 am
@Alice Liddell,
Hi Alice,

What a pig he was! Its completely understandable that this upset you. It would have been reasonable to make a complaint. Equally, its not your responsibility. You did not do wrong by your friend. If she doesn't want to address it, its not your job to.
0 Replies