Childhood demons

John Jones

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:15 pm
yitwail wrote:
John Jones wrote:

A bodily structure is dubbed a disorder only if it interferes with our lives. That is the ethical basis of the term 'disorder'. However, a judgement of a 'brain disorder' can also be immoral. In a judgement of brain disorder we make a moral decision that certain feelings or experiences are not acceptable, but then we go on to claim that that this is because of physical reasons.

Earlier, you seemed to characterize mental disorders as based on social judgement, but here you seem to leave open the possibility that an individual can make his or her own informed judgement that he or she has a mental disorder. On that basis, an individual can be mentally disordered from the viewpoint of society at large, yet consider himself or herself normal, and vice versa. In the case when both society and the individual agree that a mental disorder is present, however, and the individual experiences relief through psychiatric treatment, the question of whether or not there was an actual mental disorder seems to me to have little practical significance.

The term 'mental disorder' drops out of the reckoning in your example as an irrelevant and confusing third consideration, even though the term is powerfully persuasive. If the public find a person's behaviour unacceptable, then they may want to do something about it, whether or not the person is willing to co-operate. They may decide to employ techniques that force the person to behave differently, such as using chemicals. But no-one can say that their decision was based on information supplied by the brain to the effect that its chemicals needed changing.

It is also not possible in the physical sciences to quantify a physical 'disorder', as disorder is not a physical category in the sense in which it used in medicine... the brain cannot tell us from an examination of its chemicals, whether its chemicals need changing. We employ confusing terms to hide this fact, terms like mental disorder or illness. We are not quite sure what the scientist means by disorder in a mental context except that where there is disorder of behaviour (a peculiar phrase), there might be disorder of brain. We are persuaded to think that maybe the two are linked because they have the word 'disorder' in common. But a judgement of unacceptable behaviour is quite distinct from a physical structure. We can map one to the other, as much as we can map anything to anything else, but there is no relationship demonstrated.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:08 pm
boomerang wrote:
Consider yourself indulged, yitwail!

I'm kind of interested in where in the world this whole oddball conversation is going but I just don't have the strength to carry it out and argue it myself.

Indeed. Of the many reasons I miss Craven's more frequent participation here, the eviscerations of Mr. Jones' type is pretty high on my list.

More power to Yitwail for making an attempt, though.

<munching popcorn>

<leafing through "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" for apropos quotes...>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:21 pm
How about:

"Off with her head!"
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:35 pm
This one's rather nice, too:

Quote:
"Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying,' she said. 'One can't believe impossible things.' 'I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it half an hour a day. Why, sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.'"
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:36 pm
i'm partial to "The time has come, the Walrus said, to talk of many things." i thank sozobe for her support, but i was merely trying to clarify things. anyway, i'm returning this thread to the other participants, but it was nice visiting. ;-)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:38 pm
NO! Don't go!

If you go we can't just sit on the sidelines and cheer for you.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:43 pm
well, that's different. i don't want to disappoint my public but i will have no access to the net for the next week, so you may have to wait for the next installment. ;-)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:46 pm
Well then off with his head!

(I'm happy to see that Alice did so well here, my Gulliver stuff bombed on another thread.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:48 pm
That was what the eggs were!! I was wracking my brains. All I could come up with was the Great Gatsby.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:54 pm
"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards" is a good one, as well. Smile
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:58 pm
Gulp.

I hope BBB wasn't insulted by my Yahoo comment.

I have a photo of Mo that I captioned with that "6 impossible things before breakfast" quote.

My favorite bit is where Alice asks the Chesire Cat for directions:

Quote:
"Cheshire-Puss," she began, "would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't care much where--" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:04 pm
i think this little snippet fits a2k nicely:

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:09 pm
Very nice!

Bravo!

<applause>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:26 pm
I have had the "which way should I go from here" one on a great poster with a Tenniel drawing since college.

The mad people one is PERFECT for A2K!!

Quote:
'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be: but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:37 pm
Fantastic quotes...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:48 pm
yit--

You can be our White Knight.

"I wonder, now, what the Rules of Battle are," Alice said to herself as she watched the fight...."One Rule seems to be, that if one Knight hits the other, he knocks him off his horse; and, if he misses, he tumbles off himself--and another rule seems to be that they hold their clubs with their arms, as if they were Punch and Judy.....And how quiet the horses are! They let them get on and off them just as if they were tables"

When you fall off your table--ahem, horse--we will pick you up and cosset you. When you unseat the dastard we will cheer like anything.

Go, yitwail, go!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 03:12 pm
thank you, squire noddy. ;-) i have been summoned to a distant land on a clandestine mission of much peril, but God willing shall return anon to resume and prosecute our struggle against our nemesis with redoubled vigor.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 04:30 pm
yit--

Tantivy, tantivy, tantivy!
A-questing we will go.

Return safely, brave knight.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:32 pm
John Jones wrote:
A bodily structure is dubbed a disorder only if it interferes with our lives. That is the ethical basis of the term 'disorder'. However, a judgement of a 'brain disorder' can also be immoral. In a judgement of brain disorder we make a moral decision that certain feelings or experiences are not acceptable, but then we go on to claim that that this is because of physical reasons.

JJ, with the "Knight" gone for a week Smile , I can maybe sneak in a question: if I'm not mistaken, what you seem to be getting at here resembles Szasz's opposition to diagnoses foisted on folks by the psychiatric establishment. Am I right? In other words, if a society gets far enough away from just ethics/morals, they might end up committing people simply bec. the peoples' beliefs clash with the society's cherished mobodoxy. A prime example would be the Soviet Union, where dissenters (political and religious) could willy-nilly be banished to a ward and tortured and used for various experiments (as I always say, the difference between the Brownshirts and the Redshirts is merely cosmetic).
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 01:42 pm
diagknowz wrote:
John Jones wrote:

JJ, with the "Knight" gone for a week Smile , I can maybe sneak in a question: if I'm not mistaken, what you seem to be getting at here resembles Szasz's opposition to diagnoses foisted on folks by the psychiatric establishment. Am I right? In other words, if a society gets far enough away from just ethics/morals, they might end up committing people simply bec. the peoples' beliefs clash with the society's cherished mobodoxy. A prime example would be the Soviet Union, where dissenters (political and religious) could willy-nilly be banished to a ward and tortured and used for various experiments (as I always say, the difference between the Brownshirts and the Redshirts is merely cosmetic).

I've never read Szasz. Of course there are abuses, as in most systems.. but the process of diagnosis I showed, I believe, to be logically flawed and/or confused in every case, and that this confusion is leading to academic justification of abuse, without questions being asked.
0 Replies