Childhood demons

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 12:48 am
Is there some way we could work back to the original question?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:29 am
yitwail wrote:
I submit the following definition to Mr. John Jones for his consideration:

Alzheimer's disease

n.

A disease marked by the loss of cognitive ability, generally over a period of 10 to 15 years, and associated with the development of abnormal tissues and protein deposits in the cerebral cortex.

The point here is that the abnormality is not an abnormality of tissue, but an abnormality of behaviour, and that is always a social consideration. The tissue doesn't tell you what is abnormal, you baptize it as being abnormal by a social judgement.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:12 am
John Jones wrote:
The point here is that the abnormality is not an abnormality of tissue, but an abnormality of behaviour, and that is always a social consideration. The tissue doesn't tell you what is abnormal, you baptize it as being abnormal by a social judgement.

In the later stages, deterioration of musculature and mobility, leading to bedfastness, inability to feed oneself, and incontinence, will be seen if death from some external cause (e.g. heart attack or pneumonia) does not intervene. Source: Wikipedia article

Alzheimer's can't be definitively diagnosed without an autopsy because the abnormal tissues can only be examined post-mortem, but by definition, the tissue abnormality, and not behavioral abnormality, is what constitutes Alzheimer's as distinct from other diseases that lead to the inablility to take care of oneself.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:15 am
ossobuco wrote:
Is there some way we could work back to the original question?

sorry if i sidetracked things. i just wanted to try a different angle; instead of trying to define "mental disorder" i thought it worthwhile to look at a specific mental disorder.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 02:57 pm
yitwail wrote:
John Jones wrote:

In the later stages, deterioration of musculature and mobility, leading to bedfastness, inability to feed oneself, and incontinence, will be seen if death from some external cause (e.g. heart attack or pneumonia) does not intervene. Source: Wikipedia article

Alzheimer's can't be definitively diagnosed without an autopsy because the abnormal tissues can only be examined post-mortem, but by definition, the tissue abnormality, and not behavioral abnormality, is what constitutes Alzheimer's as distinct from other diseases that lead to the inablility to take care of oneself.

Again, deterioration and abnormality are not material events but events defined from a human perspective, and taken from what is of significance to human life. There is no such concept as 'disordered' or deteriorating matter. It is simply a linguistic convenience to say that brain tissue is deteriorating but as soon as you make conclusions based on it you fall into error. Just because you see the same brain structures in Alzeimers, doesn't mean that they tell you that they are deteriorating. You have already baptized them as deteriorating based on a deterioration of enjoyment of life, and then you simply make a match from one brain to another.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:00 pm
There is no such thing as concepts for you to explain or words to explain them with. They are merely pixels and particles that have been arranged in a way accepted by society to convey meaning. If society's consensus changes, the meaning changes. As soon as you think that you can convey a concept in any objective manner you fall into error.

Freshman parlor tricks.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:10 pm
sozobe wrote:
As soon as you think that you can convey a concept in any objective manner you fall into error.

Freshman parlor tricks.

You mean like the concept 'abnormal brain' as in 'brain matter can objectively inform us when it is abnormal'?

You can't have it both ways, and I spot a freshman.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:13 pm
That was a parody. An example of the freshman parlor tricks you are employing.

That you don't recognize it as such is telling.

They're both meaningless, tail-chasing mental masturbation.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:26 pm
sozobe wrote:
That was a parody. An example of the freshman parlor tricks you are employing.

That you don't recognize it as such is telling.

You mean like the concept 'abnormal brain' as in 'brain matter can objectively inform us when it is abnormal'? The idea you go along with.

You can't have it both ways, and I spot a freshman.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:31 pm
There are ways to objectively determine whether brain matter is or is not abnormal given the meaning of all of those words in the English language, yes.

That is simply fact.

Arguing the nature of reality in the manner you want can be an entertaining diversion -- but has next to nothing to do with the purpose of this thread.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:38 pm
sozobe wrote:

Oh soz! I love you when you're snarky.

Frankly, I fear this conversation is making my brain matter abnormal, like Lewis Carroll has moved in and simply won't shut up.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:51 pm
Lewis Carroll?

Aye, from the mouth of Humpty Dumpty.

"A word means what I want it to mean."

The sentiment is frequently credited to the Red Queen, but purists recognize the proper pundit.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:01 pm
sozobe wrote:
There are ways to objectively determine whether brain matter is or is not abnormal given the meaning of all of those words in the English language, yes.

That is simply fact.

Go on then. Please show me. You tell me how matter tells us that there is something wrong with it, or that it isn't thinking correctly.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:03 pm
John Jones wrote:
sozobe wrote:

That is simply fact.

Go on then. Please show me. You tell me how matter tells us directly, without human judgement, that there is something wrong with it, or that it isn't thinking correctly.

Why is this so hard for everyone to follow? What particular point are you all not getting?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:39 pm
John Jones wrote:
Again, deterioration and abnormality are not material events but events defined from a human perspective, and taken from what is of significance to human life. There is no such concept as 'disordered' or deteriorating matter. It is simply a linguistic convenience to say that brain tissue is deteriorating but as soon as you make conclusions based on it you fall into error. Just because you see the same brain structures in Alzeimers, doesn't mean that they tell you that they are deteriorating. You have already baptized them as deteriorating based on a deterioration of enjoyment of life, and then you simply make a match from one brain to another.

Does your perspective encompass all bodily disorders, or is it limited to brain disorders? For instance, if I may paraphrase your comment, do you also maintain that "It is simply a linguistic convenience to say that heart tissue is deteriorating but as soon as you make conclusions based on it you fall into error. Just because you see the same hardening of ateries in Cardio-pulmonary disease, doesn't mean that they tell you that they are deteriorating. You have already baptized them as deteriorating based on a deterioration of enjoyment of life, and then you simply make a match from one circulatory system to another."
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:42 pm
Boomerang, Sozobe, and Noddy, please indulge me just a bit further. once i get a reply to my last post, i promise to drop this line of inquiry. thanks.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 09:58 pm
Consider yourself indulged, yitwail!

I'm kind of interested in where in the world this whole oddball conversation is going but I just don't have the strength to carry it out and argue it myself.

I have a hunch as to where Mr. Jones is coming from but that doesn't make his position any less regretable.

I'm going to recuse myself from the conversation other than perhaps a rabbit hold comment or two.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:59 am
yitwail wrote:
John Jones wrote:

Does your perspective encompass all bodily disorders, or is it limited to brain disorders? For instance, if I may paraphrase your comment, do you also maintain that "It is simply a linguistic convenience to say that heart tissue is deteriorating but as soon as you make conclusions based on it you fall into error. Just because you see the same hardening of ateries in Cardio-pulmonary disease, doesn't mean that they tell you that they are deteriorating. You have already baptized them as deteriorating based on a deterioration of enjoyment of life, and then you simply make a match from one circulatory system to another."

Your example is fine.

A bodily structure is dubbed a disorder only if it interferes with our lives. That is the ethical basis of the term 'disorder'. However, a judgement of a 'brain disorder' can also be immoral. In a judgement of brain disorder we make a moral decision that certain feelings or experiences are not acceptable, but then we go on to claim that that this is because of physical reasons.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:46 am
Demons seem to inhabit people of all ages.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:09 am
John Jones wrote:

A bodily structure is dubbed a disorder only if it interferes with our lives. That is the ethical basis of the term 'disorder'. However, a judgement of a 'brain disorder' can also be immoral. In a judgement of brain disorder we make a moral decision that certain feelings or experiences are not acceptable, but then we go on to claim that that this is because of physical reasons.

Earlier, you seemed to characterize mental disorders as based on social judgement, but here you seem to leave open the possibility that an individual can make his or her own informed judgement that he or she has a mental disorder. On that basis, an individual can be mentally disordered from the viewpoint of society at large, yet consider himself or herself normal, and vice versa. In the case when both society and the individual agree that a mental disorder is present, however, and the individual experiences relief through psychiatric treatment, the question of whether or not there was an actual mental disorder seems to me to have little practical significance.
0 Replies