Which genre is/was more popular with kids: action or comedy?

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 03:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

There was also a series called The Dogfather and some funny animal parody of All In The Family. I forgot what that was called.

What's the name of this funny animal parody of All In The Family I'm thinking of? I recall reading about it in a book. I want to look it up. I was trying to look it up. If someone knows please help me out.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 03:12 pm
@Sturgis,
I know that. I watched Catillac Cats as a kid. I didn't realize how naughty some of the episodes were until I read about them and/or watched or rewatched some of them when I was older.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 03:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
Not every adult joke in a children's show is going to be sexual or naughty.

I watched a Disney Lego short with my nieces, and they made a reference to the song "Defying Gravity" from the Wicked musical (a performer from the musical appears in the short).

I doubt any young children would make the connection.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 03:48 pm
@JGoldman10,
The Clangers was a popular stop frame animation over here aimed at pre school children. It was about a family of loveable aliens who lived on an asteroid with a soup dragon. They communicated through a series of whistles.

It turns out the scripts they were given were full of swear words. Obviously because it’s a slide whistle you can’t make out any words, but when you know what the words are you can make them out quite easily.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 04:02 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know that.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 04:10 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if I were to rewatch the classic Pink Panther theatrical cartoon shorts I watched on TV as a kid and some of the made-for-TV Pink Panther cartoon shows and specials (a number of these have been made since the '60s) and discover that there are innuendos and adult jokes and references made in them.

I know some of the classic shorts had laughtracks and I think some of them did have references and jokes in them that I missed as a kid.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 04:18 pm
I know the classic Speedy Gonzalez shorts had jokes and references in them that I missed as a kid.

I know the classic made-for-TV Garfield specials and movies had jokes and references in them I missed as a kid.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 06:30 pm
The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse is a classic Saturday morning children's cartoon show that originally aired on CBS back in the late '80s. The series was chock-full of innuendos, adult jokes and references, which is not surprising since Ralph Bakshi produced the series.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 06:32 pm
Why are we talking about adult content in children's cartoons? The topic question was answered - most kids prefer comedy over action.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 06:51 pm
@JGoldman10,
You kept repeatedly bringing up old shows you watched that may have adult humor.

Besides, just browsing through the children's shows on the various streaming services reveals that most children's shows across the years are comedic. Many of them are also not serialized (no multi part stories spread across several episodes).
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2020 08:31 pm
@JGoldman10,
1. Younger kids would probably be more into comedy cartoons.

2. Older kids would probably be more into action cartoons.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 04:15 pm
@Real Music,
Yes, that's what I was thinking.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 04:04 am
Are kids actually more into comedy than action, or are cartoon makers actually producing more comedic cartoons than action ones because they think kids want to see more comedic cartoons than action ones?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 04:19 am
@JGoldman10,
Kids are not one monolithic bloc, they're individuals with individual likes and dislikes.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 04:24 am
@JGoldman10,
My personal experience suggests children prefer comedy most of the time. Even action and dramatic shows and films for children have to rely on comedy relief.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 05:10 am
@Rebelofnj,
Okay. That makes sense. Most kids I presume would get bored with straight action.

I assume most kids gravitate towards comedy anyway because they supposedly have short attention spans.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 05:43 am
@JGoldman10,
You already came to that same conclusion 2 weeks ago.
https://able2know.org/topic/549819-2#post-7032474

Do you not read any past responses?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 05:46 am
@Rebelofnj,
Yes.
0 Replies