Is this cartoon vaudeville?

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 02:50 am
Hi. I'm curious about this. I remember certain cartoon shows from the '80s and '90s opened in the following manner:

The show opens with a stage or some kind of platform. A curtain may or not be raised after that. A character or characters would walk, march or dance out on a stage or platform, usually dressed up wearing some form of formal attire, carrying canes or wands, perform a little song-and-dance number to introduce the show and when the number was over they would stop, or they would walk, march or walk off the stage or platform. A curtain may or may not have dropped after that.

If characters weren't doing a song-and-dance number they'd do some other kind of variety act. In some shows the act doesn't start right at the beginning of the opening of the show and in others the act is only for a brief moment.

The cartoon shows I can think of that opened this way are:

The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show which later became
The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Garfield and Friends
Some of the Tom and Jerry animated anthology series if I'm not mistaken.

Is what I'm describing cartoon vaudeville?

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,166 • Replies: 8

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 03:12 am
I want to produce my own animated cartoons and comics and showcase them online and monetize them. I need to know this information. Please help. Thank you.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 03:45 am
Of course the cartoons shows I'm referring to are kids' cartoon shows. I don't know of any cartoon shows aimed at older audiences that opened in the manner I described.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 06:07 am
@JGoldman10,
How will knowing some terminology help you produce your own cartoons?

cherrie

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 06:57 am
@izzythepush,
It wont, but it gives him yet another reason to procrastinate.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 07:19 am
@cherrie,
I know, it’s what he’s always done.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 01:23 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Is what I'm describing cartoon vaudeville?

More than anything else, it's known as the show opening. In much the same way as other television series, there is an opening. It is an introduction. Music usually perks it up as the sound is made to attract the attention of a viewer.

In the meantime, enjoy this endearing opening from the 1960s for The Magilla Gorilla Show. It is included in an effort to show you how a program might open.

...and why are you looking at all these shows with animals in cartoon form? Didn't you say your religious leaders advised against this as it is sinful and mocking the beautiful creatures your God created?

This may be used to deduct points towards your being SALAVAGED...I meant SAVED and granted entry into Heaven.

Now, arise and go in place and pray solemnly until the next millennium.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 08:42 pm
@Sturgis,
That's NOT answering the topic question.

I asked the topic question on the Dictionary.com Forums:

https://forums.delphiforums.com/dictionary/messages/45763/3

What I was describing is cartoon vaudeville.

From the above link:

"The short answer is yes. Those old cartoons were inspired by vaudeville,* which really started to decline in the Thirties as 'talkies' (films with sound). It is no coincidence that early cinemas were designed like theatres or music halls.

Not sure if you remember The Muppet Show (1977-1981). The entire premise of that show was a vaudeville or music hall stage production. Get on YouTube and take a look at a few shows.

* It should thus come as no surprise that the greatest cartoon voice actor of all - Mel Blanc - got his start in the late Twenties doing routines in local vaudeville shows."
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 08:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Of course the cartoons shows I'm referring to are kids' cartoon shows. I don't know of any cartoon shows aimed at older audiences that opened in the manner I described.

I take this back. Family Guy usually opens with a vaudeville act. They have the main characters and all the major supporting characters perform a big song-and-dance number on a stage to introduce the show.
0 Replies