How do you build up an online fanbase for your own animated cartoons and comics?

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2021 03:18 am
Hi. I want to produce my own animated cartoons and comics and showcase and monetize them online on video-sharing sites and on social media and as many online platforms as I can.

How do I build up a fanbase and attract people to my works? I was told having a strong social media presence helps.

What else do I need to do?

I tried to Google how to build up a fanbase for your own animated cartoons and I couldn't really find anything.

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,696 • Replies: 19
No top replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2021 04:05 am
I took the time to go through my personal emails in Yahoo! Mail. I could not find anything in any emails about info for building up an online fanbase.

I went through all my PM exchanges between me and Rebelofnj. There was nothing in any of these PMs about info for building up an online fanbase either.

I did get some answers here:

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1475231
https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1475557
https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1475558
https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1475756

Someone I know from a certain chatsite I frequent told me this:

"Create a Gofundme page and a network of friends on Facebook and/or on other social media sites to get attention for your Gofundme page. Create a network of friends that can spread the news about your cartoons and/or comics.
Then go on YouTube and say you have a Patreon platform once you have a fanbase and many patrons will sub to you."

Please help. Thank you.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2021 05:39 pm
Someone I met from another community site suggested I should contact Scott Adams of Dilbert fame.
He has given such advice in the past.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 12:31 am
Hi. Does anyone here have anything to contribute and/or add? I searched for those notes Rebel claimed he gave me about building up a fanbase in my personal Yahoo! Mail email and in my PMs on this site and couldn't find anything.

I can't search on Yahoo! Answers for these notes, the site was taken down permanently.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 12:51 am
@JGoldman10,
Claimed?

That’s low, Reb is as good as his word, he sent you those details and you did nothing with them until yahoo deleted them.

Why should anybody help you?

You’re never grateful, you never act on the information you’re given and you’re very nasty when you don’t get what you want.

Stop blaming other people for your own sloth.

The first thing you have to do to build up a fanbase is get off your arse, and that’s something you will never do.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 05:52 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Claimed?

That’s low, Reb is as good as his word, he sent you those details and you did nothing with them until yahoo deleted them.

Yes, I said "claimed". I didn't even know he posted those notes in questions I posted in questions I posted on Yahoo! Answers till he claimed that he did. I don't remember him doing so.

Not doing anything with those details just stems from lack of organization.

I have thanked Reb for his help in the past. What are you talking about?

Why shouldn't people help me? I need that info now.

I am focusing now on getting organized.

Is that your business or concern as to why I didn't do anything with those notes Reb claimed he posted? No it's not.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 06:31 am
@JGoldman10,
You are casting doubt on his honesty when the real issue is your slothfulness.

You’re being nasty.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 09:05 am
I cannot possibly be your only source on how to do any of this.

I have told you several times over the years how to gain an audience. I also gave you several lists of people to contact on Twitter for further assistance.

I even sent you PDFs of writing books that has the information you need. Many of them have chapters on how to market your works (one book I sent you has a chapter literally titled "Creating An Online Presense". Another book is all about marketing your work and getting an audience.)

But it is clear you never read or use what I give you. Why should I help you anymore?
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 03:32 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I cannot possibly be your only source on how to do any of this.

I never said you were.

Rebelofnj wrote:

I have told you several times over the years how to gain an audience.

Where specifically? Was this information for gaining an audience for both animation and comics or just for comics?

Rebelofnj wrote:

I also gave you several lists of people to contact on Twitter for further assistance.

I even sent you PDFs of writing books that has the information you need. Many of them have chapters on how to market your works (one book I sent you has a chapter literally titled "Creating An Online Presense". Another book is all about marketing your work and getting an audience.)

I know this. I saw this when I checked my PMs and personal emails in Yahoo! Mail. I still have this info. Again does this info pertain only to comics or does it pertain to both animation and comics?

Rebelofnj wrote:

But it is clear you never read or use what I give you. Why should I help you anymore?

I was going to use this info when I was ready to use it, when I had time to use it. My family moved out; they are not around to distract me, and I don't have to deal with them on an almost daily basis. I don't have to help take care of them anymore. I have time now. I am focusing on being organized and staying organized now. What's the problem?
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 04:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
Your family moved out almost 2 years ago. You have had plenty of time to write and draw something like so many creators I have seen online and elsewhere.

And yet you are still asking how to build an audience, even though you have received tips on how to create an online presence, which in turn produces an online fanbase.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 05:26 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I've been working on stuff in my spare time. As of the time of the posting of this I'm still waiting for my laptop to get serviced.

Can you please answer the questions?:

Rebelofnj wrote:

I have told you several times over the years how to gain an audience.

Where specifically? Was this information for gaining an audience for both animation and comics or just for comics?
Rebelofnj wrote:

I also gave you several lists of people to contact on Twitter for further assistance.

I know this. I saw this when I checked my PMs and personal emails in Yahoo! Mail. I still have this info. Again does this info pertain only to comics or does it pertain to both animation and comics?
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 06:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I've been working on stuff in my spare time. As of the time of the posting of this I'm still waiting for my laptop to get serviced.

I'm supposed be doing transcription work from home, and learning Flash, QuarkExpress, Illustrator, and Photoshop through a free online learning system and doing voice acting training from home; I signed up for an online voice acting training program, but I can't do any of this without a working laptop.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 06:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
You can apply this information to other mediums. I have said this to you before on Yahoo. I also gave you a list of creators who are far more suited in answering your questions, but you did nothing with them.

This main question is not at all hard to figure out. Using social media and posting works in progress are the two main things to do. That is it. I don't even do this; I looked it up online and followed the creators on Twitter, which you should have done years ago.

I'm not going to help you anymore. So please don't ask for my help. I already blocked you from my email.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 09:20 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Well, like they say, better late than never. Thank you for responding.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
Do you actually have any cartoons or any other product that you can actually post????
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2021 12:27 am
@glitterbag,
Yss.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2021 12:34 am
@JGoldman10,
You can't build a fan base until you copywrite and release a few. Why would anyone sign up for a website that doesn't exist? Have you sold any of your creations or posted them to a platform where others can see them? Where do you go when you are looking for something new or entertaining?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2021 02:08 am
@JGoldman10,
With you it’s never, you wasted years of pointless “research” for something that never materialised.

That’s what you do, you talk about research, marketing and studying on courses, but you never do anything.

Incidentally Mr Goldman’s thread on Scottish street gangs is quite interesting, it attracted a lot of one off posters who had had experience of ganglife.

Which is why Mr Goldman dropped it like a ton a bricks, far too real for his tastes.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2022 11:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
0. Do not focus on social media.
1. Do not care what anybody says or thinks about your work., Take ques but that is about it.
2. Make your own ______ in your own time the way you want to.
3. Marketing : The reality most material is marketed. Most of the material we know of is marketed. Beyond that other material while marketed has a fan-base with a specific method of thinking. For example in one nation a persons method of thinking and view point of the product is completely different. Thus various material is made. Like their are many official and unofficial spin-off of various series. Give away free-samples, setup a table
at a convention, even do something that is wholesome for the community to
promote your work.
4. Avoid terminology. Let the consumer decide. Most Animation studios in the far-east have no idea what the slang term OVA, or even Japanimation, or Anime means at all. However they know how to do their job. It is like with a spy-plane, or bomber plane. For years we have seen various black-birds but again their are many vehicles that have surpassed it.
5. What happens in real life is that people have no faith or just lazy. They have money and eventually "produce" a series out-sourcing other peoples works and creation. Take "Kirby", "Metroid", and "StarFox" for instance. Only Kirby 1-3 and possible Crystal Shards is cannon. Metroid games after the Super timeline are not Cannon. StarFox is actually folklore being rewritten into a 3d game not even made by Nintendo but Arguonauts.
6. If it was me. Publish a website, and make that your primary page for your material.
4. Now about social media. Social media, or any website that allows you to post free content is really collecting your content. So only post smaller images. A stranger on a website told me "They run a business selling digital-displays" and the point being is that "They want me to post bigger pictures of my content". The reality by posting bigger pictures a person could print the photographs or even frame them. You should uploade 600X600 least. Even 800X on the longest side with 72dpi. I have came across pages with people listing photos at even smaller views. Point being is that you should never upload original content and it's max image unless your being paid to do so, or it was an old project you worked on for somebody.
5. Social-media are like satellites to your webpage. You have a bunch of lazy people who do not want to click on a webpage so they go to your social media page. Again lazy $#$$@$ they are.
6. Social-media are not your friends. These pages might offer money and interviews but they are not your friend at all. They are branding wanting to present a stereotype and you should avoid talking.
7. Consider paying people to make your content for you. Their are tons of people making things but you have to remember that these people are human and do not favor people beyond their religion, race, culture, gender/sex, etc. However their are people that pretends they are great
____etc and you will never know.
8. Consider working in a team. Some people market themselves as this miracle task force but the reality they break the work down into smaller jobs to get everything done faster.
9. Consider having a different image for a different page, even a random user name. Again because of branding, marketing, stereotypes many people will often hide behind their brands. Take Nintendo.. It is a toy-company disguised as a videogame company. Originally they hired out programmers. All of their products from day one was never programmed by anybody on staff at all. Mario, Metroid, Gameboy, Famicom/NES all was made by out-sourced people who ether left big-business, failing or not, or was looking for a job and had the mind-power. SEGA games was originally Service Games, in terms of the military and even had adult clubs on or near military bases...like a "Service Girl". Sony was a walkman company, and was apart of the recording printing business, among manufacturing of electronic parts. In fact you have tons of manifacturers popping up and being absorbed into bigger business as where DELL just purchased smaller companies, fired the
main-staff and kept the ideas and buildings structures/offices if any.
10. Their are tons of great artists, students, and people who are who are working on various projects but just barely if any see the light of day or who are discriminated for various reasons by peers.
10. Everybody in that classroom should be working together and should make the work easier. Not look away and pass judgement and be full of themselves. That is why nothing could occur or happen at all.
0 Replies

Elexor

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2022 08:29 am
@JGoldman10,
1. Make sure sure you are using the appropriate hashtags so you reach the audience you want. A good way to figure those out is to browse the posts of other comic artists and see what hashtags they use. Try not to edit your post after you post it. It can adversely affect the algorithm on some social media platforms.

2. Make sure you are posting at the right time on the right day. Midweek is usually best as that is when most people are actively browsing on social media. Don’t post on the weekend. Far less people look at social media on the weekend because they got other stuff going on. You might want to double check this last thing, but I believe that it’s mid morning when people are often browsing. So shoot for 10-11am on Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday.

3. Make sure you are consistent. This doesn’t mean you have to post at the exact same time. Just try to post fairly often. You don’t want people to go to your page and see the last time you posted was weeks ago. At a minimum post at least once a week.
0 Replies