market economy

tintin

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 10:51 am
here is one statement...

"...economists Adam Smith,Ricardo,J.K Gallbraith strongly favoured market economy...".

i simply want to know whats market economy ? i found there is two types of economy prevails. 1) planned economy 2)market economy......in order to know whats market economy i reached to wikipedia encyclopedia and found

"A market economy is a term used to describe an economy where economic decisions, such as pricing of goods and services, are made in a decentralized manner by the economy's participants and manifested by trade" (wikipedia)

its not clear to me. what do they mean by "decentralized manner" and who are the "participants" ? its very difficult to percept.

can you please explain and simplify what does market economy means. plz dont use any jargon. i will be glad to see a simple answer.

thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 627 • Replies: 4
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 11:59 am
ok, you see something you want to buy in a market, and you ask the seller what it costs, and if you like his price, you buy it, but if you don't, you look for another seller, or maybe the seller says, wait, don't go away, i will give you a better price, and maybe then you buy it from him. that's the idea of a market economy. in a planned economy, the government decides what things cost. you can't find a better price, because the price is the same everywhere.

another thing that happens in a market economy is, you want to buy a bigscreen tv, let's say, but you can't because they're sold out. but if you ask a seller when will you have more bigscreen tvs, he'll say something like, come back next week, i'll order more tvs from the factory. in a planned economy, the government decides how many tvs to build, so when the seller asks for tvs, a government official may say, there will be no more tvs built this year, but instead we will send you thousands of microwave ovens we are now building.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 12:35 pm
superb . i dont know but it feels me that there is a kind of bargaing involved in Market economy. in planned economy the products are limited.

However, that means there are certain products where market economy hops. and there are certain products where planned economic hops. so a country should imply both the economy.
thank you
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 12:37 pm
i must go for sleep now.....

good night.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 12:42 pm
you're welcome. as you say, neither economy is more efficient than the other in every circumstance, so actual economies are mixtures of the two basic types.
0 Replies